Helmet...

mrracer98

Registered
Hey all... New member, and new busa owner as of this coming weekend... (03 with little over 4k on her). I have a question re: helmets...

What do you all recommend. I currently have a older (7-8 yrs) simpson. I like it but I want a new (for me and the wife) one with great protection (as I suspect new things have evolved since my old simpson was made).

I am looking for something well made. Not too pricy as you can go nuts on helmets also...

Thanks for the info.

You have to determine whether you have an oblong, round or oval head size. Nolan are very good at their price points and fit well on oval/round heads. HJC's on the other hand fit better on oblong sizes. Depends on how much money you want to invest. You should be able to contact Helmet Harbor or the Helmet Shop online and check out the prices. I would always try and fit a helmet in person and work the best deal with your local dealer at first. Right now everyone is dealin'. Check out the vendors/sponsors here as well. Wardie

Once you go Arai you never go back........... but you'll pay for it.

You have to determine whether you have an oblong, round or oval head size. Nolan are very good at their price points and fit well on oval/round heads. HJC's on the other hand fit better on oblong sizes. Depends on how much money you want to invest. You should be able to contact Helmet Harbor or the Helmet Shop online and check out the prices. I would always try and fit a helmet in person and work the best deal with your local dealer at first. Right now everyone is dealin'. Check out the vendors/sponsors here as well. Wardie
+1 fitment comes first.. lid does not fit right? it is going to hurt you if you really need it..
Brand name loyalty is nice but means nothing if your fit is wrong.. a $100 lid that fits is probably better than an $800 one that does not..

BTW.. most makers say a helmet at 5 years is DOA from old age..

Hey all... New member, and new busa owner as of this coming weekend... (03 with little over 4k on her). I have a question re: helmets...

What do you all recommend. I currently have a older (7-8 yrs) simpson. I like it but I want a new (for me and the wife) one with great protection (as I suspect new things have evolved since my old simpson was made).

I am looking for something well made. Not too pricy as you can go nuts on helmets also...

Thanks for the info.

After years of HJC's I'm now a firm believer in the money spent on an Arai or Shoie. Do keep this in mind, the piece you're buying will be charged with protecting the most important part of your body in a routinely dangerous situation and doctor visits cost way more than even the most expensive helmet.

Ian
REDLINE ENGINEERING - Sportbike Swingarm Paddock Race Stands Sport Bike Motorcycle Lifts Swing Arm Stand Jack Suzuki Honda Yamaha Kawasaki

I have to agree with Mr. Bogus, fit is very important when it comes to helmets. I would recommend that whatever brand you end up with, make sure the helmet is snell and dot appproved. I have 5 helmets that range in price from around a hundred bucks, to $400+. newenough.com has snell and dot approved helmets on closeout for under $100 if you want a great helmet and not spend alot of cash. I had on a HJC like the ones on closeout when I had my crash a little over a year ago. The helmet saved my life.

IMG00290.jpg

just got my Shoei RF1000.
nice and lite and a better fit for my head than the HJC's I nomally buy.

I have come to like the KBC brand. The fit is good lots of styles the VR-2's are
pretty lite and I crash tested one about 2 years ago. It held up very well
sorry no pics. Just shop around.:thumbsup: Almost forgot Kbc also affordable

Last edited:
Try in person is a must. After that, it's a compromise. Any DOT helmet will be safe, but more you spend, more comfort you will get. I personally love shoei rf 1000, but I also have a shoei head. Good luck to you and be safe with your new busa.

Go on the ARAI website and look at how to properly fit a helmet before you buy anything. A new helmet will break into your head and be loose after a while if you do not get a good fit.I like the Arai RX7 but you can get a Shoei rf1000 pretty cheap. My wife loves her rf1000. I have a shoei rf1000 flutter that was only worn maybe 5 times and would be great for your wife. $250 shipped.

P1020347.JPG

Like some have already said, get what fits your head the best. I prefer shoei, but I just ordered a scorpion exo 700, so I cant comment on that rite now, but alot of people have good things to say, and there price is not that bad either.

Do you have a pick of the Simpson you can put up, is it a the Vader with the slits??? Are you going to sell it and if you are what size is it:laugh:

and welcome:welcome:

I went with a G-Max great fit for my shape head an great ventilation 14 vents and a real flashing light. I love it :thumbsup:

gmax after fall.jpg

gmax sfter fall 2.jpg

Back