Helmet laws

WELL, HERE WE GO AGAIN! I AGREE THAT ANYONE IN HIS RIGHT MIND SHOULD WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR WHEN RIDING.
HOWEVER, THIS SHOULD BE A MATTER OF CHOICE..IF WE ARE GOING TO LET THE GOVERNMENT DECIDE FOR US, THEN
WHY NOT MAKE EVERYONE, ON THE PUBLIC ROADS WEAR HELMETS! BIKES, CARS, WHATEVER. FIRESUITS, AND GLOVES AND ONE OF THOSE DEVICES THAT KEEPS YOUR HELMETED HEAD FROM SNAPPING FORWARD IN A CRASH, THAT SHOULD ALSO BE REQUIRED. ALSO GOVERNORS ON ALL
VEHICLES THAT LIMIT SPEED TO 15MPH, THAT WOULD MAKE US ALL A LOT SAFER..AND MAYBE DRIVER WEIGHT LIMITS, KEEP THE FAT GUYS OFF THE ROADS TOO..MUCH SAFER TO
BE HIT BY A SKINNY GUY IN A FIRESUIT AND HELMET GOING
15MPH, THEN A 300 POUNDER.. ALL THE VEHICLES SHOULD BE THAT BRIGHT ORANGE "GLOW IN THE DARK" COLOR TOO.
....NOW I'M ON A ROLL...AND WHAT CAN WE GET UNCLE SAM TO DO ABOUT THE MOST DANGEROUS THING ON THE ROAD,
NO NOT A DRUNK DRIVER, A SOCCER MOM IN A MINIVAN TALKING ON HER CELL PHONE....WE MUST HAVE A LAW TO DEAL WITH HER...JUST TOO DANGEROUS, WHAT WITH HER NEW HELMET AND FIRESUIT AND GLOVES, AND ALL THOSE KIDS IN THE BACK, THEY NEED HELMETS, FIRESUITS AND GLOVES TOO....AND WHAT ABOUT ALL THE REALLY LITTLE
KIDS, WAY TOO SMALL FOR HELMETS AND FIRESUITS...I
KNOW, WE'LL PASS A LAW REQUIRING SPECIAL "SAFE VEHICLES" ONLY TO TRANSPORT THE LITTLE PEOPLE, AND SPECIAL ROADWAYS FOR THEM TO DRIVE ON,...WE CAN ALSO PUT THE FAT PEOPLE IN THE SPECIAL VEHICLES WITH THE LITTLE ONES, DRIVEN BY SPECIAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES SKILLED IN INFANT CHILDCARE, AND THE OPERATION OF THE NEW SPECIAL SAFE VEHICLES, ON THE NEW SPECIAL ROADWAYS....HELL, THERE GOT TO BE MORE THE GOVERNMENT CAN DO TO PROTECT US FROM OUR SELF'S.
......WHAT DO YA'LL THINK??

I wear a Helmet and gear by CHOICE, not b/c of law. I mean, Why the F@#k would you ride a hyperbike/sportbike without a lid? Protection from the road, the wind, the elements, foreign objects. Jeez, nuff said.

Try riding/racing a Busa at 150+mph without a lid vs. with a lid. Not only can you see better with the helmet, your eyes are very protected as well.

I'm for it when it comes to Common "Sense" Laws.

How about everyone worries about themselves instead of everone else?

If you have the overwealming need to nose about someone else's business, have some kids.
Hey listen up Dude,

Your business becomes my business when my insurance premiums go higher because your dumb walnut head has to get covered from an accident that could have been prevented by wearing gear but refused to wear a helmet so you could feel free.

The AMA is the NRA of motorcycling.  Do you think they would even dare lobby for a national helmet law?  Of course not, they would lose half their members, just as if the NRA lobbied against the right to own a gun.  It's political BS.  The AMA is concerned about their membership income (beaurocratic BS) and keeping the number membership they have a political foothold.

Hey, I'm a big believer in less government is good.  But when some idiot has to be covered by additonal insurance that could have prevented by wearing some gear forcing my rates up that's when I get pissed.

It's for the common good.  Go poarachute out of a plane if you weant to feel some real fredom.  Hell, I did, but I'm still smart enough to wear a helmet on the road.
Well then, considering thats your argument I'm coming to your house and cleaing out all those eggs in your fridge because that damn choloresterol is making my health insurance skyrocket.

In fact, Anything that you do that is known to cause any burden on anyone else no matter how minimal I will be there to make you do the right thing. This will include riding a motorcycle, driving a car(wear an tear on the road as well as crashing increasing my auto insurance and increasing the cost of gas), drinking, smoking(actually I'll exclude this one smokers already pay more than thier fair share), really anything that is not required to simply "live" a healthy non-burdensome to me in any way life. Do you know any amish ppl? because you will be adapting thier lifestlye shortly.

BTW do you have any actual data showing how much your rates have increased because of people not wearing helmets? Or are you just making a gross assumptions?  have the bodies now stacked like cord wood in the states without helmet laws, or not so much?   How much is bodily injury on a bike vs PLPD + COMP?  What % of bodily injury is due soley to non-helmet use? Yes, please do the math and you will soon find the answer to the question of how much not having a helmet law would effect your rates is a pittance...

If the tiny amount is still too much for you (BTW the number is 8% and thats according to NHTSA's Crash Outcome Data Evaluation System study released in February 1996. And for the mathematically challenged thats 8% of Bodily injury ONLY, ).

To put this in perspecitve: I pay $46 dollars a year for 300/100K BI. Now if the law were repealed tomorrow and everyone could choose to wear or nor wear a helmet (the study based on the Cali law showed about 50% opt out, probably a little higher than the national average since its kinda hot there) my Insurance increase would be $1.84/year. yea, Boo-hoo.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150397445 -->

Crap and all this time I thought freedom cost a $1.05 turns out it's a $1.84
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150398020 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

GMBUsa I think you missed the point. Its about choice not to wear a helmet or not. And to call names or not have pity on people no matter how dumb the thing they did to die including holding a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is a bit harsh. What is the fastest you have been on your Busa? Lets say just for arguments sake on a road 120 MPH. Which do you think is more unsafe breaking the speed limit or driving without a helmet? Crash at 120 with a helmet and atleast the can open the top part of the coffin..... I think some guys are taking this too seriously even me to a point I think we all have some valid points and some with ride with helmets and some without. Those of you in favor of the helmet law... How would you feel about a law limiting all motor vehicles new and old to 75 MPH?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
? Common sense law to limit all motor vehicles to current maximum speed for any state. I mean there are laws against speeding already but now they will limit it so you can not speed. Or maybe because bikes are soooo dangerous its only bikes that are limited..... How would you feel about that?
rock.gif
???

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

I'm for helmet laws because, like seat belts, the chances of them helping you are better than hurting you. Without one, my eyes are watering and my visibility is lessened, my hearing is poorer because of the wind noise and I'm here to tell you that rain HURTS! Forget about what happens when you have an accident with or without one - wearing one can help avoid accidents in the first place. That's probably the best reason to wear one.

Ed

I'm for helmet laws because, like seat belts, the chances of them helping you are better than hurting you.  Without one, my eyes are watering and my visibility is lessened, my hearing is poorer because of the wind noise and I'm here to tell you that rain HURTS!  Forget about what happens when you have an accident with or without one - wearing one can help avoid accidents in the first place.  That's probably the best reason to wear one.

Ed
I have no idea how anyone rides without one either, I tried 1 time for about 15 minutes at Sturgis, and no thanks not for me. How about just being pro-helmet, like me, and leave the law out of it?

Is there some reason you feel compelled to make everyone else's risk assessment for them?

Not riding or driving would also help avoid motorcycle accidents and would be 100% effective.

I realized i came off alittle harsh in a previous post here, but i don't see how someone would want to actually ride without gear. I mean, if you fall off YOU DIE. Why take that chance? It's stupid!

I agree that i don't like the government telling you what to do, but this is the exception. You need a lid, even if it's a small beaner helmet.

I feel that helmets and seat belts should be a CHOICE!

I am very pro-helment, but I think that as adults we should not be penalized if our descision cannot harm others.
dude, it *IS* that way now....in every state in the United States.... i'm in Va, just as you are, and i don't have to wear a helmet..... remember, driving motorvehicles is not your "right", its a privilege..... and privileges sometimes have guidelines.... so, don't wanna wear a helmet? no problem.....don't ride a two wheeler.... don't want to wear a seatbelt? no problem, the city bus don't require it....nor helmets...

I agree that i don't like the government telling you what to do, but this is the exception. You need a lid, even if it's a small beaner helmet.

This is exactly how it starts and why you see so many people fighting over things that most people look and say whats the big deal. Again I submit it is already illegal to speed imagine how much money we would save in policing cost accidents damage to highways etc if we limited all vehicles to 75 top speed. Common sense says its already illegal to speed look at all of the benefits. There is not one drawback except for those of us that speed could not. Speed kills many more and causes many more accidents than not wearing a helmet does... In your state and in mine driving is a privledge but again taxpayers paid for the roads and maintain them and police them it should be our right and in some states it is your right to drive. I say you get 1 OUI and you should have a breathalizer in your vehicles 2 OUI's and you loose your license for 3 years a third OUI and you go to jail for 5 years. The biggest killer of all. One of my friends lost part of his leg to an accident (was drinking and speeding) and another lost his life to a drunk driver coming the wrong way down the road ran right over him. Thankfully the only 2 serious injuries I can think of on all of the friends I have ridden with.

it's free country just have those who don't want to wear a helmet sign a waiver so I and we don't have to pay for their medical. There's a reason why pro wear helmets
overlord.gif

Back