Helmet laws

T-MOB

Registered
This seems to be the hot topic right now so i just wanted to get your opinions.I'm against helmet laws.I learned to ride in 1989 and i have been down twice,the 1st time with a helmet,the 2nd time without.I still ride without a helmet,as funny as it sounds,i'm just more comfortable without.Now i know many of you STRONGLY disagree with this and are probably calling me stupid,dumb,idiot...etc,and thats fine,i hear it from my girlfriend all the time! LOL But my point is that it's my CHOICE not to wear a helmet and i dont think it's right for someone else to say that i HAVE to wear a helmet if i decide to get on my bike.Just my .02

Just like seat belts helmets should be mandatory. At my dealership I will not let a customer leave with the bike that they purchase without a helmet. No helmet, they have to load it in the back of a p/u. Just my .02

Sorry, but this is where the "for the common good" law must come into effect. Wear a freakin' helmet people.

If the people who got jacked up in accidents because they had no gear didn't effect me in any way at all I would be fine with those that did not wear a helmet. But if I have to pay one more cent for insurance, fees, etc. (just as we do now) then it matters to ALL the riders out there.

So there should be a mandatory universal law for wearing helmets.

lurk.gif

I think it should be mandatory for all to wear a helmet. Insurance rates are terrible in Texas and part of the reason is because there is no helmet law.

I think we should outlaw motorcycles all together... just too dangerous. Better get rids of cars too, lots of people get killed in them even with the seat belts, airbags, traction control, bla, bla... Oh, and ATVs... and...

Get it? Nothing is safe and I don't like the government holding my hand telling me to be a good child & do it. And I do wear a helmet without a law telling me to.

rant.gif
Rant off.. sorry if I seem a little hot, I've been reading too many articles about Big Ben..

<!--EDIT|BusainSD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150312629 -->

Against helmet law.

BUT

I am in favor of decreased insurance premiums for those who ride with helmets + gear.

I am for denial of insurance coverage for accidents where the rider was without a helmet and gear.

I am for denial of government financial support for accidents where rider was without helmet and gear.

I'm okay with you not using a helmet as long as you're willing (and prepared, financially) to pay your own bills if you get maimed, even if it's for the rest of your life.

--Wag--

Hey T-MOB, evidently you and your Busa never leave the city limits, eh? I mean, who in their right mind would venture out at hwy speeds without at least a helmet on? Caught me a nice big fat sparrow once, right between the eyes.....if it wasn't for my helmet shield, well, I'd probably not be here typing this! Think about it son!

Hey T-MOB, evidently you and your Busa never leave the city limits, eh? I mean, who in their right mind would venture out at hwy speeds without at least a helmet on? Caught me a nice big fat sparrow once, right between the eyes.....if it wasn't for my helmet shield, well, I'd probably not be here typing this! Think about it son!
Yep. If you want to feel the "freedom" of not wearing a helmet, stick your head out a car window at 70 mph.

Against helmet law.

BUT

I am in favor of decreased insurance premiums for those who ride with helmets + gear.

I am for denial of insurance coverage for accidents where the rider was without a helmet and gear.

I am for denial of government financial support for accidents where rider was without helmet and gear.
+1

If you dont want to wear gear fine by me but deal with the consequences of your actions.

Helmet and seatbelt laws are way over the line. When I need additonal parenting done by the government I'll let you know. (and I'm thinking if I do need government parenting I'd elect ppl that don't have such f*cked up kids/families)

Impossible to enforce, will never happen. Good ideas though

I'm okay with you not using a helmet as long as you're willing (and prepared, financially) to pay your own bills if you get maimed, even if it's for the rest of your life.
There are probably 100 times as many underinsured and/or indigent vegetables rotting in hospitals and on permanent public aid as a result of an automobile accident than there are from motorcycle accidents. The "public burden" argument just doesn't work.

Just like seat belts helmets should be mandatory.

Pretty much the only reason there are seat belt laws was a failed attempt by the insurance industry to refuse payment on injuries suffered from an automobile accident if the victim wasn't wearing one. It didn't work, they still have to pay.

I'm against helmet "laws", not helmets. But as a friend of mine always says when asked about the issue; "For most motorcycle accidents, the only difference a helmet makes is whether it's an open or closed casket".

It's my opinion that helmet laws do little else than produce "shirtless shorts and flipflop wearing helmeted squids". What would be more beneficial is a mandatory riding class to be completed before getting a license. Where potential riders can be a) taught how to ride safely and responsibly and b) the benefits of safety gear and c*) weed out any newcomers who really shouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place before they get let loose on the street.

I don't need the government telling me what to wear when I leave the house. Colds and Flu's are a considerable cost and strain on our emergency medical system, far more than injured motorcyclists, so what's next, mandatory hats, coats and gloves when the temp dips below freezing?

Educate, not legislate.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>*My younger brother is a prime example of how this works to someone's advantage. I was the first "biker" in the family, catching the Harley bug big time in the late '80's early 90's. My little brother wanted to emulate his big brother in the "biker" lifestyle but of course also wanted to obtain the bike to go with it and not be a poser. Before he went out and purchased the Sportster 1200 he thought would be a good starter/first bike for him he signed up for the Motorcycle Saftey class. Turns out, he sucked at riding a motorcycle. Operating a clutch and shifting gears ain't his forte and using your hand for the throttle ain't either. He actually failed the class at the end during the test. This experience stopped him from pursing motorcycling any further and he found another hobby. Most likely saved his life too.</span>

I am for helmets, padding, leather and all that stuff. I played football from 3rd grade through college. I would not think about getting on the field without my hat. In doing so, you open yourself up to a very bad lick. Riding without a hat opens the pilot up to (fill in the blank). Not worth the risk.

What you'll find here is a general consesus of where we live and the laws we are required to abide by.  For those members that live in states that require helmets are certaintly going to be pro helmet laws because they know no other way.  For those that live in states the don't require them, the census may definitely lean toward not.

I've stated this everytime this topic has come up, Generally speaking, bikers in Ohio DO NOT wear helmets.  I'll be going to a bike night tonight and I'll bet almost 2/3 are not wearing a lid.  Here's the deal though, we as humans are creatures of habits, and some of them are bad ones, but when you're brought up in a manner/state where helmets are not required, and you've seen since being a little kid no helmets, that becomes your idea, your image of motorcycling.  

I've been riding for 13 years, 4 bikes, 2 accidents, 1 knee injury, NO helmet.  I've become so accustomed to not wearing a helmet that I'm actually uncomfortable on the bike and my surrounding when I have one on.  Every time I climb on a bike I know the risk involved, and choose to make those risks in enjoyment of my hobby.  There's no sure fire way of surviving a bike accident besides staying of the bike to start with.  I understand that it's possible to reduce the possible risk with proper gear, but many a great rider have perished with all the right gear.

So I'm against a helmet law in the same manner that I'm against mandatory seatbelt laws.  I don't argue that seatbelts have saved lives, but they've taken lives too.  I'm just not pro government telling me how I should live my life.

Just my .02

I ride with my helmet 90% of the time but when I ride the h-d I sometimes go without if I am on country roads. Mandatory I say no. Its your coconut if you want to crack it then thats your business.
About Big Ben all this about him not wearing a helmet. I understand that he was not at fault. I think they should be ranting in the media about getting mandatory eye and reaction test for the older folks. Correct me if I am wrong did not the old bat turn left in front of him? Yes he might have not had the facial dammage but it could have broke his fn neck too. it just wasn't his time to check out.
Just try to be careful.

Back