Helmet issues

It’s Shoei for me, always has been. I have an RF1400 and an X-14 both with transition shields. The shields are great but not cheap, for comparison, Bell has transition shields for $80 while Shoei is $200. The RF1400 is great on the Busa but better on the RoadGlide while the X-14 is the opposite. Different helmets for different head shapes and also different rides.

It’s Shoei for me, always has been. I have an RF1400 and an X-14 both with transition shields. The shields are great but not cheap, for comparison, Bell has transition shields for $80 while Shoei is $200. The RF1400 is great on the Busa but better on the RoadGlide while the X-14 is the opposite. Different helmets for different head shapes and also different rides.

My girlfriend has the RF14, and I have the RF1200. The 1200 has better ventilation(and is a little noisier as result), and it weighs a little less too, but both are very good.

I have an Arai Corsair-X but it’s a $$grand, it’s a nice quiet helmet though and very comfortable, as far as I know you can’t get a transition shield for Arai, I was on an all day ride a couple weeks ago and rode home in the dark with a dark shield and it was not fun. I like my Arai a lot. I used to have a Shoei years ago and liked it a lot too but I loaned it to my nephew and we’ll you know the story.

Have you gone supersonic? If so how did the helmet handle that?
Not yet. I did tuck in and verify that I could see... I don't know of a good place to go fast yet. Still getting used to the bike too. My problem is that I can't really leave for very long as my wife is handicapped and I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone for long. Slowly but surely I'll get my skill level up to the point where I'm comfortable letting the bike roar.

I use a Sena for music and phone capabilities so that might be tough. Wind noise isn't bad, just more than my Bell.

I have one now too, and the earplugs are not a problem.
I have listened to music, but mainly only use it when my girlfriend rides with me, so we can talk(but mainly just heads up or hang on stuff, not random conversation).
I can hear her voice or music better with the earplugs in.

What kind do you use?

Cheap disposables from work.
I pull the string out, and cut the end off, that way the rolled part expands in my ear, and there is nothing hanging out of my ears to contact the inside of my helmet.
They last a long time, and my riding jackets's pockets are full of them, lol

20230119_141126.jpg

I have an Arai Corsair-X but it’s a $$grand, it’s a nice quiet helmet though and very comfortable, as far as I know you can’t get a transition shield for Arai, I was on an all day ride a couple weeks ago and rode home in the dark with a dark shield and it was not fun. I like my Arai a lot. I used to have a Shoei years ago and liked it a lot too but I loaned it to my nephew and we’ll you know the story.
I run the flip up shield on mine....

DSC01320.JPG

I crack my main shield a bit when I'm riding but once I get into higher speeds, it closes and locks automatically..
I'm wearing glasses too so I often run with mine completely open around town, 40 or less. Depends on the season too, hotter than the hinges in summer around here.

My Bell had a special setting that held the shield just barely cracked to help avoid fogging. This new helmet does not have that.

I'm wearing glasses too so I often run with mine completely open around town, 40 or less. Depends on the season too, hotter than the hinges in summer around here.

My Bell had a special setting that held the shield just barely cracked to help avoid fogging. This new helmet does not have that.

I've had several Shoeis over the years, and they all have multiple fixed open locations, including just cracked open.
I also wear my sunglasses, as I like to ride with my shield open or partially open alot of the time, and sunglasses have always fit me better in Shoeis than other brands.
I've had a couple Bells and HJCs too, and found them to be quality helmets.
I just prefer the Shoeis as they've always fit My head a little bit better.

Back