Helmet obscures vision when riding my Busa!

CWCobra

Registered
I am the new owner of an .07 Busa - my first sport bike. Always ridden a cruiser before. I find that both my full-face helmets have less than ideal lines of sight while I ride in the sport-bike lean forward position. My vision is obscured due to the helmet's tendency to ride low across my brow. I can see the tank fine - just not the road ahead!

I wonder how you other Busa owners deal with obstructed vision with your helmets. Is there another brand I could try that has better sight lines when riding a sportbike?

Thanks,
CW

I am the new owner of an .07 Busa - my first sport bike. Always ridden a cruiser before. I find that both my full-face helmets have less than ideal lines of sight while I ride in the sport-bike lean forward position. My vision is obscured due to the helmet's tendency to ride low across my brow. I can see the tank fine - just not the road ahead!

I wonder how you other Busa owners deal with obstructed vision with your helmets. Is there another brand I could try that has better sight lines when riding a sportbike?

Thanks,
CW

Not good. What brand are you using?

RSVP.

Sounds like a helmet sizing issue. See an authorized Arai Dealer.

Agree, but you don't have to see an Arai dealer to get a good fit. I've also found that no matter how good the fit, the forward jockey type riding position does tilt your head downwards. I (can) see the road ahead of me though and even the trees, but not the tree (tops).:laugh: You might need not only a smaller helmet but maybe a different shaped inner shell, oval v round for example.

I don't have that problem. Like others have said, you are probably wearing a helmet that's too large. When you first buy it, it should be almost uncomfortably tight since the padding will compress with use.

Welcome to the oRg. What brand do you have and is is sloppy on your head?

Not good. What brand are you using?

RSVP.

Hey, brother...the reason I ask 'what brand' is only for my own information. It doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that when you're shopping for a helmet, you try on a variety of higher-quality brands. The position of your eye-sockets coupled with the 'window' of the helmet will also be a determining factor in how much periphery you can view in a snap-shot when you're checking your blind-spots before maneuvering (known in some circles as "clearing the baffles"). :beerchug:

What I'm saying here is that you need to do some shopping research before you replace the helmet which you described in your initial post.

Be sure to not 'cut corners' on quality. I'm sure you've heard all the cliches.

Good luck, yo!

I have two helmets - both full face, both "off brand" purchased mail order. I really don't think the helmet fit is my problem - they are both fairly tight, even after using them for a year or so. I think the shape/orientation of the eye hole is the problem. Taking advice above, I think I'll go to a helmet dealer, and try on some Arai and Shoei helmets.

Thanks all,
CW

BTW, the 'Busa is the most exhillirating ride I have ever had! I love it!

My Shoei does not enter my field of vision at all... not all helmets are created equal.. bike helmets and car helmets are pretty different.. a full face "car" helmet (for drag racing) features a very small opening (less area for fire to get in and no need for peripheral vision) vs a bike helmet that must allow for a full range of view..

Head for a bike shop and try on some "name brand" lids and see what fits.. I bet you find the vision issue goes away..

If you go to a competent Arai (or presumably another prominent name brand) Dealer they will not only let you try on different helmets but should also fit you with the right cheek pads etc. to tailor the fit to your cranium. When you put your helmet on it shouldn't obscure your vision at all and it will ultimately enhance your riding experience in the end it is a no lose situation. Just do it! :thumbsup:

I have two helmets - both full face, both "off brand" purchased mail order. I really don't think the helmet fit is my problem - they are both fairly tight, even after using them for a year or so. I think the shape/orientation of the eye hole is the problem. Taking advice above, I think I'll go to a helmet dealer, and try on some Arai and Shoei helmets.

Thanks all,
CW

BTW, the 'Busa is the most exhillirating ride I have ever had! I love it!

My Shoei does not enter my field of vision at all... not all helmets are created equal.. bike helmets and car helmets are pretty different.. a full face "car" helmet (for drag racing) features a very small opening (less area for fire to get in and no need for peripheral vision) vs a bike helmet that must allow for a full range of view..

Head for a bike shop and try on some "name brand" lids and see what fits.. I bet you find the vision issue goes away..

+1 My Shoei is not falling over my brow or shifting on my head at higher speeds.If you can't go down a hole size then try to snug it up with different size pads for the inside. If your helmet co. doesn't have this option then find a better quality helmiet that does.:thumbsup:

I own KBC, IICON, HJC, and GMAX helmets. The all have great field of view. Like Biscuit said, make sure its a bike and not automotive helmet.

oh and keep your chin up.. tucking down is fine but you need to keep your head level at the same time..

oh and keep your chin up.. tucking down is fine but you need to keep your head level at the same time..

Mr. Biscuit, all of these responses and you hit the nail on the head. I am cursed with not so good posture and have a tendency to look slightly downward. I have a great Shoei. Good fit. Good helmet. If you don't keep the chin up you will have vision problems.

Thanks,
CW

what is yor helmet now? arai works great for me. They are pricey but i think my head is worth alot.

Back