Icon Airframe Pro Construct Helmet

InfiniteReality

Registered
I was getting my new front tire mounted at the local Honda shop and while waiting I started to browse the helmets.... Never tried on an Icon helmet before (always worn HJC) and was VERY impressed with the Airmada! I ride with HJC Carbon Vador now but due to my face shape, my chin always is a little chilly when riding in 65 or cooler weather. With Icon, my chin is nice and tucked up inside the helmet plus is WAY more comfortable.

Then it dawned on me, "exactly how old is my HJC Carbon Vader helmet??" Quick look and I ordered it March 5th, 2007! I know you're supposed to get a new helmet every so often, but I never really think about it. How often are you suppose to get a new helmet anyways? I always carry my helmet to my office or inside my house, always treat it with the utmost respect so it's rarely left on the bike, but I'm definitely over due for a new one.

I really dig carbon fiber on the Vader and even more so the $320 price 8 1/2 years ago. I didn't want to shell out $600 for the Icon Airframe Carbon, but in all honesty I REALLY like the look of the Pro Construct. I really dig the dirty, raw, unpolished look of the Pro Construct.

I ordered it in white since I knew my size thanks to my local Honda and also got a gold mirror shield. I'm now second guessing my choice in color, wonder if black would look more "raw". Anyone else ride with an Icon Airframe helmet? How do you like it??

BampW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly I think the white looks more raw and simply better. almost looks like a human skull. think it looks quite badass imo.

honestly I think the white looks more raw and simply better. almost looks like a human skull. think it looks quite badass imo.

Thanks! Makes me feel better about my choice. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I'll miss the carbon, but it's not as unique as it was back then. :)

Got it in last Thursday, but rained Friday so been riding all week trying to break it in. Looks way better in person and love the new helmet feel.

IMG_20151106_161943.jpg

IMG_20151106_162000.jpg

IMG_20151106_162038.jpg

IMG_20151106_162143.jpg

IMG_20151106_161429.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the look of the white better, the black looks like cheap black denim pants! Do they have the visor in mirror blue? How about a review of the helmet performance? How loud is it? I have an alliance that isn't too lound but my fiancè has the airmada and it is loud enough to keep the mic triggered on our sena smh10r's. I love Icon gear and really want the Pharoah airframe pro but been considering for about $100.00 more I can get a shoei which are supposed to be substantially quieter.....anyone's thoughts or input is appreciated!

i like the look of the white better, the black looks like cheap black denim pants! Do they have the visor in mirror blue? How about a review of the helmet performance? How loud is it? I have an alliance that isn't too lound but my fiancè has the airmada and it is loud enough to keep the mic triggered on our sena smh10r's. I love Icon gear and really want the Pharoah airframe pro but been considering for about $100.00 more I can get a shoei which are supposed to be substantially quieter.....anyone's thoughts or input is appreciated!

If I remember right, they have all the color mirror visors including blue. With the HJC mirror visors, I could see easier at night with the gold mirror vs blue mirror. Wasn't a huge difference, but there is some.

Only thing I can compare to is the HJC AC-12s. The Icon is quieter and definitely more airflow. I can hear my music a little easier. It also fits my head better and the chin curtain is definitely nice. It's warmer when it's 60 or below. As you can see from the pictures, the Icon is visually a bigger helmet but I don't notice that when wearing it. It's more comfortable as well. The weight is negligible between the 2 helmets.

I've always heard the Shoei and Arai helmets are alot quieter, but I've never worn one so I can't compare. I have zero regrets with my new helmet, that's for sure!

Figured I needed to update this:

Here's what I ended up having to send to place I got the helmet from, likely will have to send it in for warranty.

I recently bought an Icon Airframe Pro Construct Helmet to replace my HJC AC-12 Carbon. I really like the style and fit of the helmet, or even all Icon gear for that matter. I wanted to inquire about the shield (gold mirror) sealing and if this is normal. I have all 3 vents closed up top but I can still feel cold air rushing down my face from the top. Depending on what angle my head is, more or less comes in. Also if I'm in the rain, water will get through and onto the inside of the shield with really no way to remove it. With the helmet off, I can see larger gaps that are close to the top/side air vents that I can easily push the shield in. I'll be glad to send pictures if I have an email to send them to.

They instructed me to attempt to move the shield hinges further back and while that solved the issue, it now makes it completely impossible to open one handed and still very cumbersome 2 handed. The Icon locking system doesn't help with this matter either. In this cold weather it really sucks, because my shield will fog up and I have no way of cracking the visor to clear it out unless I'm at a complete stop.

Back