Hello from Cyprus says Adam the world traveller

So funny to see the different McDonald's menus in different countries. The one in Thailand was hilarious!

McLad Na - McShrimp & Snowpeas :laugh:

Wow, Enjoy your visit with your Dad!!! He must have a green thumb. Love the orchids in the background. If he has any good tips on keeping one alive let me know. I kill everyone I try to grow. :laugh:

Well I got back to Cyprus late yesterday afternoon from Kabul. As usual 2 days turned into 5 ! I made 3 trips to the base and 3 trips from there into the field to other bases to see 1st hand the gensets that supposedly were not working ?
Since i am not an engineer and the CO conveniently did not have one on hand I had to have one flown in from Italy from the manufacturer. It took him about thirty mins to show me and them (as there were several) that output and op was fine but DRAW WAS SEVERE ! This was problem all along. Too much stuff hooked up ! Simple but could only have been solved this way...
So I got sig needed and all is well. Spent some time in German camp in Kabul drinking some strange tasting water and eating what they told me was lamb but I still dont think it was.
Not sure which made me more sick the food there or the water..:laugh:
Never been more stressed out in my life...never..! Did not sleep more than 5mins and thank goodness neither did the ones around me. We stayed in a 'safe house' if thats what you wanna call it. owned by a local who was risking not only his life but the life of his children and wife to keep us there. Why would he do that ? Of course it was $.
Wound up paying him in 5 days what he would never make in 2 yrs ! Think about that. Would you risk all you know and have for two yrs pay ? I dont think I would but they were most gracious and treated us like family. Even the 300lb guy with 20 guns on him..:bowdown:

So got my sig and this cool Tshirt from the German camp there..
This is how I looked upon coming back to pops place..right after shaving for 1st time in a week..Itchy..
CIMG3137.jpg

Close up of shirt...
CIMG3130.jpg

So what does a skinny bloke like me do after he hasnt eating properly in 5 days...?
PIG OUT AT ONE OF MY FAV PLACES...Temel Reis Restaurant
Temel Reis in the northern Turkish controlled side of Cyprus.. About 40 mins from pops home.
Nothing like a Temel Reis special for 5 served to 3...:laugh:
5 feet of meat....!
Thing that looks like a pizza is actually a huge spiced meat pie that is awesome. Think I ate 2 of them.
Rest is chicken and lamb in several diff ways.
Cubed , ground and grilled with spices and the best lamb sausages you ever had !
Num..num..num..num..and some more num num num..
CIMG3087.jpg

Does the guy on the front of store look familiar..?
CIMG3078.jpg

Look they even deliver..
CIMG3080.jpg

Before dinner we drove around the old walled city of Famagusta which is where Temel Reis is. Famagusta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This video I shot with GoPro but with limited editing ability some clarity was lost. After 2 minute mark the wall you see on left and once we pass thru the gate (looks like a tunnel) everything is inside this ancient fort built by the Ancient Venetians/Phoenecians. The walls are super thick and the place is HUGE. The entire old city of famagusta is inside it. We are in it until you see us pass again thru another smaller gate (tunnel). Much history here as many have fought over it for centuries. Take a look.

And this morning Adam and I made our 3rd trip to St lazaros church to give thanks and say thanks...
CIMG3147.jpg

Tomorrow we are off to Ayia Napa to see some sights like Kava Greco which is a park sytem with some cool ocean caves. One that I almost fell in last yr. (very scary) Inside cave , huge wave comes in, I'm holding Adam and wife is screaming, almost got washed out and over a gnarly rock face.
Already promised all I wont be going off stairs and into it this time around.
Till next post...

C Ya

Last edited:
My wife just got back from Turkey last week and she said the food was AMAZING!!!

No meat though, Vegetarian.

Thanks for sharing.

Bubba

Wow what great pictures. Looks like you guys are really enjoying your trip. This is one thing i love about this site, You can visit a lot of places and never leave home. I know its not the same as being there but if you let your mind wonder its close. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm still wondering what idiot decided to leave for 3 weeks with energizer bunny named Adam .
Not sure who misses mommy more , him or me .
I so want to tag her and say it's your turn !
Um tired !
:rofl:

Dang Saiid, I like the shirt and I want to eat at Temel Reis, 5 ft of meat, my mouth is watering...seriously!!!! Glad you are on your way home and I bet you are too, safe journey home.

:thumbsup:

Great pictures and glad you got your work done!

Now we need to get your dad some new UF shirts! :laugh: Go Gators! :beerchug: :thumbsup:

Yrs ago you could not cross over as relations were not so good but now there is a border check point pretty much like N Korea and S Korea . You go by one group who are Greek and they check passports and then 100 ft down road there are Turks who do same and give you a little stamped piece of paper to keep inside passport while there. Once you cross you are basically in Turkey .
Funny thing is coming back after dinner Adam was being his usual 'I want gum bad self' right when we came to border crossing . My dad looked at guard and said 'what can you do with this bad boy' just joking as the guard was super nice . In a complete coincidence the guard looked in car at Adam and said 'You want me to take him to jail and oh yeah there is no gum for badboys there!'

You never saw a kid straighten up quicker than that !

Looks like you guys had fun. Man, I would love to try that 5ft. of meat. Looks good.
Thanks for sharing.:beerchug:

I'm still wondering what idiot decided to leave for 3 weeks with energizer bunny named Adam .
Not sure who misses mommy more , him or me .
I so want to tag her and say it's your turn !
Um tired !

That pic of all the food at the restaurant is making me hungry. Glad that I am meeting the new chick for dinner and a movie tonight.

Back