Heli bars or Spacers?

MD500F

Registered
I see some of the guys here are installing the Heli bars.
Don't you get the same result with the spacers? (less money...)

the spacers just raise the bars up, but the heli-bars not only raise but move back toward the tank. they also have a slight bit more outward angle. this keeps the wrists straighter. It will depend on your reach, taller guys/gals(don't want to offend)probably don't need much movement back toward the tank. I'm 5'8" and I find just pulling my hands back about 1.5 inches really helps in riding comfort. The heli-bars are my next mod. If I find that is still not enough, I like long rides, then I might add a spacer and roll the bars a little more.

I'm short, 5'6" so i needed the extra reach that both would give. I have 3/4 inch risers and the helibars and i still have the stock lines attached. Anything more than that and you will need to order longer lines. I did have to reroute the fast idle cable from around the steering head, inbetween the fwd tank bolts.

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Heli bars raise the grips back, up, out, and change the angle of the bars for more comfort.  A spacer could only raise it up and slightly back.

Tried the spacers first and although it was a disaster, I could quickly see I did not like the look. I wasn't after lowering the front which is what the spacers are more geared towards. The space between the triple tree was not to my liking and the hole where the tops of the shocks sit looks like hell. Plus everything else that has been said regarding up, out and back is true. The spacers do not do that.

I sucked it up and ordered the heli-bars

Heli is the only way to go if you install a GPR. The GPR should come first. You won't be disappointed. Worth the cost.

Back