Heli Bar Review

MeltDownZ

Registered
Just slapped on my heli's.  I am very happy with them.  I think they actually look better than the stock bars with their powder coated black finish.  They keep everything the same just giving you a slightly relaxed position.  While it's not much of a change, it is quite noticable on my back.  I feel I am a good bit more 'seated' with more weight on my azz and less on my hands.  That's a good thing, especially with a Corbin seat because with that seat your azz can handle a good bit more of the load.  At 5' 9" tall, I find that I am less leaned over and have more leverage on the handle bars.  This is good for turns as I notice I'm able to tug a bit more and countersteer some sharper turns.  I hadn't aniticipated that but it's a positive.  Personally, I would have preferred if the bars raised the 1 3/4" like they do but didn't sweep back the 1/2".  That does turn my wrists in slightly.  Installation took me about 1 1/2 hours.  This wasn't bad considering I rarely do anything but maintenance work to my bike and had virtually no idea how anything was going to come apart or go back together.  The only tricky part for me was the removal and re-routing of the 'virtual choke' cable.  A tip for the non-mechanic types, pushing the inner cable in from where it attaches down at the engine allows you to get the handlebar assembly parts reconnected with ease.  Overall I am very happy with them  9 out of 10 for function, looks, and quality.  -1 for the sweep back.  If someone stole them, I would definetly get them again.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090579445 -->

Cool, Glad you like them, and thanks for the review.

I've been eyeballing them for awhile, and now I am having some wrist issues, so they are prolly next on my list...

Cool ... thanks for the review ... I know what you mean about the difference in posture ... I'm use the Genmars, but that 1 & 1/4 inch make a big difference! I'm going to do a 400 plus mile road trip tomorrow and all I can say is thank goodness for the risers and the Tobin seat !!

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090590648 -->

Heli-bars were one of my first mods and I like them a lot. It may just be in my mind but I feel like they made a huge difference for long rides. Thanks for the review.

how much did they cost? Can you get them anywhere? Can a total idiot install them?

Thanks for the great review. Definately considering the Heli-bars for my next mod.
smile.gif

Great review! I installed the bars onto my '03 and they work great. The high-idle cable (choke) gave me problems too. I resolved it by routing the cable between he tank and the steering head, they I changed it again, but I forgot how. I'll have to look again, but it worked perfectly and didn't look bad either.

The cost $168 I think and can be bought here frequently, or at www.helibars.com or via many on-line warehouses. They are easy to install, but you do have to work a little on getting the bar end weights off. Most people have to use an impact tool to get them off.

I installed Throttlemiester bar ends at the same time, and they are AWESOME. Helped relieve my carpal tunnel issues by letting me let go of the throttle for short time so I could get the feeling back in my hand.

how much did they cost?  Can you get them anywhere?  Can a total idiot install them?
Order them from the link below...

It's probably a good learning type project.  If you are a total idiot, just be careful not to lose screws inside the engine compartment or scratch your windshield.  Those would be ugly mess-ups. Oh, and they go for $169.00.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090616745 -->

Thanks for the info. I'm 6'4", and wouldn't mind taking some weight off of my wrists! Although, I must say, the Hayabusa is suprisingly comfortable for the type of bike it is. Does anyone know if the Heli Bars will interfere with my Zero Gravity Double Bubble? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I would hate to buy them and have to hack up my new windshield!!

Thanks in advance, Tim

I have a double bubble, and I have no issues with my heli-bars. At full steering lock they almost touch, but not quite. You should be fine.

A suggestion, take off your windshield when installing the heli-bars. Much easier to get to the parts you need to remove and replace. And it's only two bolts holding the screen on.  I too, no problem with clearance....

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: "I need to learn to type"|1090626645 -->

I had Helis installed before I picked up the bike based on the info learned from this site. The riding position is very comfortable for me at 5'10".
I do find if I'm in traffic for a while my hands go a little numb.

The Heli bars were one of the first things I changed on my 04. They take a lot of the weight off the wrist. I recommend them. Fit and finish is excellent. I ordered mine directly from Heli modified, and I recieved them quickly.

I also have a little problem with the numbing on the throttle hand. I am trying different grips, and need to pick up new brake lines or crush washers to reangle the stock lines so I can reposition the brake lever lower.

See my tip for built in cruise control

Gentlemen,
I'm going to install Helibars on my 2003 Busa this weekend. Any ideas how to remove the windscreen so I don't scratch it? thanks and ride safe.

..there are two screws, one on each side right up to the level where the windshield "meets" the fairing..
smile.gif
take them out and I think the windshield comes off (mine does..)

The two connection point are push-pin style... they push in very much in the same way that t turkey timer button works... (when the turkey is done, the little pastic button pops out, but in this case you puch the button in instead of it popping out). Sorry, thats the best way to explain it.

Back