Hayabusa hot start fix

DesertSlasher

Registered
Hello ladies and gentlemen, after almost 9 months of looking up threads and trying to fix my hot start problem on my 03 Busa, I found the problem. It was an expensive run. The previous owner told me that it started when we were in our elevation of 5000 feet by Lake Arrowhead, that’s only because it was cooler in the middle start swelling. I replace anything you can think of, anything you can throw at me I’ve replaced until I replace these last pieces. My starter would whine and not turn over and it would sound like some kind of weird making a caulking sound, I replace the starter clutch, no Bueno. I put in a 700 cold cranking amp lithium battery that would not push through it as well. Electronics working fine, battery up to par, starter relay good, starter switch, no starter kill switch a prob at all. The starter housing was so sloppy it was making the pin that held the idler gear get all crooked to where it wouldn’t spin or let the other one spin to make the gears spin freely. I want to be straight to the point, I wish somebody else would have said this along time ago but that’s exactly what it was. I got the new gears and housing from Neanderthal cycle salvage In San Bernardino California and it starts up every time, I let the fan come on many times and it starts right up. It wouldn’t start at all when it was hot before, even after 10 stars it wouldn’t start. The problem is fixed on my bike. Eventually it will wear out, the pin that holds the idler gear slides into the housing will get sloppy, but maybe bikes are still going. I think it might have to do with the lack of oil from previous owners. I am so stoked that I’m not gonna spend anymore money guessing on things. It’s been expensive enough. I got the bike for 2000, almost 600 registration, and almost 2000 in parts and in guessing on fruits. Once I get some plastics To sweeten it up, then I will feel a lot better about it. I love this bike though, it is fast as all get up

I couldn’t figure out how to delete it immediately so I figured I would talk like a robot and try to correct my words. Everything you can think of, I have already replaced on the bike. The last pieces that I narrowed it down to and then the last pieces are replaced where the gears between the starter and the starter clutch. There are washers in there that are very crucial, and also, the pin that holds the idler gear which is the closest one to the starter, was very sloppy and it’s on spot. Obviously, if you take it off and push it At an angle and try to turn it, it will not turn. Everything has to be tight. If you have hot start problems, most likely your problem is down in that area. I was lucky enough to get the whole set from a Cycle Salvage off of a newly had blown motor. I bought all the gears and everything for 125. That was a deal and a half

Hello ladies and gentlemen, after almost 9 months of looking up threads and trying to fix my hot start problem on my 03 Busa, I found the problem. It was an expensive run. The previous owner told me that it started when we were in our elevation of 5000 feet by Lake Arrowhead, that’s only because it was cooler in the middle start swelling. I replace anything you can think of, anything you can throw at me I’ve replaced until I replace these last pieces.
OK, this ^^^^^^ is the exact opposite of the correct approach to any mechanical problem, it was a starter problem so why not start with looking at the starter motor, the engagement of the starter shaft gear to the idler gear, then the starter clutch etc etc. You would have found the problem right away instead of just throwing expensive parts at it, to no avail.
My starter would whine and not turn over and it would sound like some kind of weird making a caulking sound,
This was the clue that it was a gear meshing problem, and if you had just listened for the source of the sound it was making you would have heard it coming from the starter idler gear area of the engine.
I replace the starter clutch, no Bueno. I put in a 700 cold cranking amp lithium battery that would not push through it as well. Electronics working fine, battery up to par, starter relay good, starter switch, no starter kill switch a prob at all. The starter housing was so sloppy it was making the pin that held the idler gear get all crooked to where it wouldn’t spin or let the other one spin to make the gears spin freely. I want to be straight to the point, I wish somebody else would have said this along time ago . . . .
If you are referring to the oRg members that looked at your thread back then, we are not here as clairvoyants or mind readers.
It's great that you have your bike's problem nailed at last, but honestly, if you do not have diagnostic skills or experience, just take it to someone that does.
It works out a lot cheaper and takes a lot less time than just throwing parts at it and hoping it's this or hoping it's that.
but that’s exactly what it was. I got the new gears and housing from Neanderthal cycle salvage In San Bernardino California and it starts up every time, I let the fan come on many times and it starts right up. It wouldn’t start at all when it was hot before, even after 10 stars it wouldn’t start. The problem is fixed on my bike.
FanTastic!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Eventually it will wear out, the pin that holds the idler gear slides into the housing will get sloppy, but maybe bikes are still going. I think it might have to do with the lack of oil from previous owners. I am so stoked that I’m not gonna spend anymore money guessing on things. It’s been expensive enough. I got the bike for 2000, almost 600 registration, and almost 2000 in parts and in guessing on fruits. Once I get some plastics To sweeten it up, then I will feel a lot better about it. I love this bike though, it is fast as all get up
Great result, happy days my friend!
Enjoy your Busa and stick around, share some pics if you can, we all love pics around here lol.

OK, this ^^^^^^ is the exact opposite of the correct approach to any mechanical problem, it was a starter problem so why not start with looking at the starter motor, the engagement of the starter shaft gear to the idler gear, then the starter clutch etc etc. You would have found the problem right away instead of just throwing expensive parts at it, to no avail.

This was the clue that it was a gear meshing problem, and if you had just listened for the source of the sound it was making you would have heard it coming from the starter idler gear area of the engine.

If you are referring to the oRg members that looked at your thread back then, we are not here as clairvoyants or mind readers.
It's great that you have your bike's problem nailed at last, but honestly, if you do not have diagnostic skills or experience, just take it to someone that does.
It works out a lot cheaper and takes a lot less time than just throwing parts at it and hoping it's this or hoping it's that.

FanTastic!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great result, happy days my friend!
Enjoy your Busa and stick around, share some pics if you can, we all love pics around here lol.

I’m not sure how to reply to everybody that responds but I know how to diagnose things, the bike has 90,000 miles on it and has been doing this since the original owner had it before it had 1000 miles on it. I started with simple things, I started with maybe it was a weak starter for a week starter switch, ignition switch etc. New battery, I had overheating issues because of the Thermo switch in the radiator, I know it’s going on but even Suzuki mechanics couldn’t figure it out. Every thread I watched or looked at said that dealership Mechanics replaced the obvious things that a rookie would go for and didn’t look deeper. After replacing the relay switch, getting bigger gauge wires that were corroded, getting a new starter, swapping out a brand new starter clutch, still having the same problem once it warmed up, I got all new gears and treated them straight straight over and it works great. I’ve definitely gotten a lot of good info from this site though. I love it

I’m not sure how to reply to everybody that responds but I know how to diagnose things, the bike has 90,000 miles on it and has been doing this since the original owner had it before it had 1000 miles on it. I started with simple things, I started with maybe it was a weak starter for a week starter switch, ignition switch etc. New battery, I had overheating issues because of the Thermo switch in the radiator, I know it’s going on but even Suzuki mechanics couldn’t figure it out. Every thread I watched or looked at said that dealership Mechanics replaced the obvious things that a rookie would go for and didn’t look deeper. After replacing the relay switch, getting bigger gauge wires that were corroded, getting a new starter, swapping out a brand new starter clutch, still having the same problem once it warmed up, I got all new gears and treated them straight straight over and it works great. I’ve definitely gotten a lot of good info from this site though. I love it
And I took apart every gear in the whole starter area and made sure they were clean and oiled up, I even took apart the starter idler gear and saw all the little clutch disk in between it, wondering if it was too tight or too loose. I’ve been through a very hard, about nine months I’ve had this bike, it would pop start and not have a problem so I knew it was between the starter and the crank but didn’t have $190 for a starter idle gear to try and see if there was a problem. At least I know everything I swapped out is brand new now

It’s too bad I’ve never heard threads talking about the idle gear pin been to Loose in the starter cover casing etc. I recorded a video a couple days and sent it to my brother and my dad showing how loose it was when it was on the ground and you can spin it if you want to but if you bind it at all and try to spin it won’t spin. I know it serves as a base for something to spin on but if it’s crooked then that means the idle gear is going to be crooked on the starter etc. stuff rolls downhill

It’s too bad I’ve never heard threads talking about the old gear pin been to Lewis in the starter cover casing etc. I recorded a video a couple days and send it to my brother and my dad showing how loose it was when he was on the ground and you can spin it if you want to but if you bind it all and try to spin it won’t spin. I know it’s there as a base for something to spin on but if it’s crooked then that means the idle gear is going to be crooked on the starter etc. stuff rolls downhill

EAC8EE5D-9648-4095-856C-D0E465F98DF4.jpeg

Back