hayabusa not starting

mrshryock

Registered
I have a 99 busa last week it had problems starting i thought it was the starter but now i'm not sure I pulled the starter idle gear and the big gear that caches the starter is shaved perfect on half of it all the way around need to know if this would keep it from starting before i buy a new starter that i dont need.. help please:banghead:

Wish I could help, bro...

I know what I'd do with mine, but... :whistle:

Good luck! :beerchug:

Yes the battery checks good i even hooked up a second batt and it trys to tour but just squells like the starter is just wineing all most and is i hould the starter button after a min it will try so i dont know

If I read you correctly, you said the gear that engages the starter is ground off? I mean, I'm no mechanic, but that seems rather obvious. Unless I'm missing something here.

yes but its only half i thought that it still should catch but i'm not sure its the starter idle gear i'm going to buy a new one 2maro hopefully that fixs it

yes but its only half i thought that it still should catch but i'm not sure its the starter idle gear i'm going to buy a new one 2maro hopefully that fixs it

You say the engine is turning over, but you hear a whining sound. That sounds like missing the teeth to me. Did your bike start rough before, like maybe a crunching sound? :poke:

anyone know how to check the starter to see if its good i tryied the starter button without the gears in and it spins so does that mean its good i didnt know if it would spin if it was no good but it does without a load on it.

:rofl: if the gear is missing teeth it cant engage and turn over the motor...DUH !
the starter itself only spins the gear on the starter doesnt move in or out, it only engages and disengages on the gear that actually turns the motor over, it not like a car where there is a solenoid in play

you can always push start it...use second gear for that, 1st will make you drop it

you need a starter clutch..if the big gear on the end of crank spins freely both ways or locks one way and if you wiggle it and spins other way that's your problem..

Your problem, sounds close to what I'm going thru at the moment ..I myself have changed out the starter wire/solenoid from the battery to the starter ( no fix)..I tried a higher amp fuse ( no fix) .. I bought a higher ( 380CCA. battery) ..thru GAST .. seems to have helped, but it is not the cure.
I have torn my starter apart several times and replaced the brushes / sanded the Armature ( 400 then 600 ) ..till its babyass smooth ..seems to help for awhile ,but alast ..the problem pops up its nasty head ,and I'm back to pushin .. the only thing I can figure is the Armature is getting weak .. the price for a new Amature is just a little less than a new starter .
To this I've resolved that I need to get a new starter, because the price for most ( used ) starters, isn't worth the delayed headache I'm going to get .. when the used one ....... takes a crap.

anyone know how to check the starter to see if its good i tryied the starter button without the gears in and it spins so does that mean its good i didnt know if it would spin if it was no good but it does without a load on it.

Just because it spins that doesn't mean it's good. If the starter gear won't move out to engage the flywheel (or whatever it engages on a busa) then it's just gonna make that whine noise you're talking about. And as others have said, if it's got ground off teeth. . . . Duh. . . Why would you even wonder anymore? If you only have half the teeth it's not going to engage. Buy a new starter and be done with it.

Guys....you're all wrong. He needs to repaint it. It's obvious that he has color that just won't go.

Back