Diagnosing a bad starter

chriss4365

Registered
I have a quick question sometimes when i start my bike the starter makes a strange noise so i stop pushing the button then when i push it again and hold it about 2 seconds the bike will start. I took the starter out and tested it the gear turned without stopping and the starter was so strong i had to hold it when i supplied power because it would jump off the bike. Could this possibly mean its going bad? The gear on the crankshaft looked ok and the gear on the starter was good so its not the gears.

Welcome to the oRg. It sounds like your starter is ok. Are you sure your battery is at full cranking amps? Do you have any loose connections?

I connect the battery tightly so the connection is not loose. The charger does not say theirs a problem with the battery when i charge it. The starter makes a strange noise when i start the bike. The noise seems to be happening more often. Is it possible the motor still works but is loosing its factory rated torque due to age, its about 6 years old and its original. Thanks for the responses and welcomes.

I tried using a different battery and the starter sounds weak, like either its not getting enough power or the motor has just gotten weak. I dont think power is an issue because it sounds the same with my backup battery and is just as hard to start as with the other battery. I found a new starter should i buy it?

Starter clutch?

I tried using a different battery and the starter sounds weak, like either its not getting enough power or the motor has just gotten weak. I dont think power is an issue because it sounds the same with my backup battery and is just as hard to start as with the other battery. I found a new starter should i buy it?

I would pull the service manual and look into trouble shooting the starter. It might just be the starter clutch :poke:

Be sure to share what the problem was when you find out, it can help others down the road who encounter the same problem :thumbsup:

I opened the motor and cleaned the internal parts and the motor worked good today then when i started it later it was doing the crap again like it was struggling to turn the engine, then when you mess with it you dont hear the engine turning. Then if you wait and try again it will turn the engine and start the bike. I already ordered a new motor. I thought i had fixed it but it seems its on its last leg. The bike is 2008 and has original starter. Is that old for a motorcycle starter?

My starter was bad but the magnets delammed so they came off the housing.Yours sounds like a bad gear but possible its bad.

Does the starter act up when the engine is warm, but works fine when the engine is cold?

The starter usually acts up after i rode the bike and it sat a while. When i tried it after cleaning it it did start up fine everytime i tried untill the bike sat for 8 hours at work then it had an issue starting. I had to leave it at work because it wouldnt start and the new starter i got guess what, the thing is jammed up some how and its new so i have to send it back. You cant turn the motor with your finger and it didnt work in the bike it just drained the battery and the bad starter failed to start it after completly draining the battery and my backup battery. The motor sounds fine then all of a sudden it makes strange noises so im pretty sure its done.

I installed a new starter and it still acts the same and is hard to start the bike. I tested the battery today and it passed. You can hear the engine turning but theirs no spark im guessing its not turning the engine fast enough all the time when trying to start it due to low voltage. once its started its fine so theirs not a problem with the spark. If its not the battery or starter is it the solenoid? How do i post new threads on here i cant figure that out :(

Ok everyone i think i found the problem its the starter clutch; When i try to start the bike i can hear the starter turning then all of a sudden i hear the engine turning. Is it possible the clutch is stuck since it seems to work some of the time but why doesnt the engine turn over when you hear it turning? Once in a while ill hear a powerstroke out the exhaust but it wont start. Is it not turning fast enough?

Back