Shutdown at stop bad starter sound....

phil823

Registered
having a bit of an issue so before i start tearing into things i wanted to get your opinions. 2003, Running perfectly. 28K miles. Shorai battery last year

930: bike started fine, warmed up for a min before leaving.
1000: pull into edge of town, "spirited" riding
1005: braking for a stop light from a quick rate of speed, downshifting. bike feels funny. almost like when your in to high a gear, clutch out, and rpm low.
1006: once stopped the bike is not running. highlights bright, NO FI light, temperature is perfect. gas is full.
1007: attempt to restart bike. it starts to turn over ONCE the first "rrr" sound then a high pitch screech sound. like a stuck starter would make. reminded me on metal on metal unable to move screeching sound.
1009: repeats show same results, bike it placed attempted to jump start thinking maybe battery blew a cell, or volt reg is bad. charging bike seems to have no help.
1030: load bike in a truck. try to start one more time when loaded up. turns over a little no screeching sound, lights and dash cut out like low battery
1100: bike is unloaded try one last time...bike turns over but the sound of the turn over it a different "rythem" than normal... but NO more screeching.

im not sure what to make of all of this, originally with screeching i was thinking it was a seized piston or valve issue or bearing issue. but not that it turns over without the screeching but sounds weird im not sure what it could be

my plan is to:
drain oil and look for shavings, Gold shaving should be bearing. silver crank or piston related.
plug in battery to trickle charger to make sure its good and putting out correct volts.

Anyone else have any ideas on where they would go with this issue?

what would kill a bike while riding and running fine, and then cause a starting issue

thanks a bunch!

Follow up to this....

emptied the oil....i saw a few small metal flakes....and...found this
sSUb0rf.jpg

along with a few speckles in the oil....

also noted is that on cylinder 2, the exhaust vales in the upper half as looked at from the area where the exhaust bolts on, are scrapped clean...very weird...
also noted was the inability to turn the engine over by hand....
Also noted that there was LOW OIL in the bike....WTF....as in like 1.5 quarts (i run oil cooler less so i know its less....but not that much!), but the light never came on...

at this point im guessing belt valve, or rod bearing.........SOB

anyone have any pointers from here... while changing rod bearings is there anything i should keep in mind or upgrade? same question for bent valves

Back