08 Hot Slow Start

angel racerx

Registered
When its cold, the starter spins and fires right up. Ride it for 20 minutes cut it off and try again. It turns slow headlights dimming and almost go dark, and stops after 3-4 rotations. brought new battery .

Fired up fine 4 times in a row while it was cold, rode it 20 minutes, and then the same issue. It turns over slow 2-5 rotations and stops, Headlights dim.

If i hit the starter button and it turns over slow, i release it, wait for fuel pump to stop running and hit it again sometimes, very randomly it will spin fast like everything is ok and the bike starts. Cut it off ,hit the starter and its dead again.

The colder the bike is the more consistent it starts the headlights shining strong while cranking. The hotter it is, the starter more consistantly doesnt work, with headlights dimming and each time it sounds like the fuel pump gets weaker. That one time you hit it just right the fuel pump sounds strong the starter is strong and the headlights are bright.

already done and brought one with more cca..I'm really new at this is this the right way of asking everybody ? smile

You're asked fine, no worries.

These suggestions will be kinda basic but should help you narrow it down.

Check the voltage at the battery when the bike is running,, it should be just over 14 volts.

Check the voltage at the battery and starter while cranking (ideally when it won't start) the battery shouldn't drop much under 11 volts and the volts at the starter should be very close to the battery voltage.

Also check where the ground cable attaches to the case, don't just looks at it, take the bolt out and look to make sure everything is clean and corrosion free.

hey hey ,,, yes 08 IS GEN 2...,yes i've gotten both last being 2 months ago and i got other recall for ignition and i got new battery, stronger cca.......weather temperature is not warm or hot yet ..only from 20 min or more ride

greg3852 said:
Been doing a lot of reading here, and have read many similar threads. Seems like this is a common problem, but it seems like most people don't come back and share their fixes or never figure it out.

So here I go. 2004 with 13K miles. Drove fine no issues, drove 500 miles in a one day trip, no issues. Few weeks later one day I notice it was slow to start after riding for a while. Next day took it for a ride and it wouldn't start back up after getting gas. Figured it was a battery, so bought a new Yuasa and dropped it in. Took it for a ride after charging it and it still did the same thing after getting hot. I know this battery is good as it starts right up after cooling down.

Tested the stator, forgot the number but around 80-VAC
Tested ohms on stator nothing showed up
Tested R/R using diode function and no irregularities.
Voltage while running at idle is 12.9-13.1ish
Voltage at 5000rpm is 14.1-14.4

I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any? Starter getting too hot? I've read other threads where people have changed them out and it still happened. Should I do the 4ga battery cables? Or buy a cheap R/R on eBay just to test it? Any help is appreciated.

orenp said ..
I don't have much experience working on my Hayabusa, but lots on equipment. If you've got a hot start problem and you've got: 1) a good battery; and 2) good connections (ground, to the starter, and at the switch) -- the problem is probably the starter. Also, I always tend to suspect the starter when heat is one of the failure conditions. Batteries are usually fairly protected from heat (there's not a big difference in the 'micro climate' that they live in, cold versus hot motor). But starters live in a much more variable climate: when the motor is cold they're cold and when the motor is at operating temp they're hot. Simple and logical. Hope that helps

OK OK HOW COME MESSEGES ARENT SHOWING UP ON THREAD SO THAT IF SOMEONE DOES KNOW ANSWER MAYBE THEY CAN SEE AND WRITE AN ANSWER ? I SEEM TO KEEP REPEATING MY SELF 'M NOW SEEING ITS NOT ON THREAD ONLY ON MESSEGES ? THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO ADD TO MY BIKE I MAY BE ON THE WRONG SIGHT WITH NO DIRECTONS OF HOW THIS WORKS ........................................................................................................................yeah it's like that..thank

Sorry your not getting an instant correct answer. I remember reading not to long ago of a member who had a similar problem and chace it for about a year. He ended up finding some gunk in the cover around the starter clutch (I think). Seams to have fixed his issue. Strangest thing I have heard in a while but maybe it's worth checking out.

Your problem sounds very similar to my own 08's issue that I've been having for a couple of months. My bike will start just fine when it is cold, but once I ride it a few miles and turn the engine off and restart it, mine does start but immediately dies again. I have to open the throttle a little to keep it running, after a few seconds it will continue to run on its own. I think I found the solution today, I put Seafoam in the vacuum line and watched the smoke show out the tailpipe! Every since then the bike has started right up; even after I rode it home from work and the engine was warmed up! It hasn't restarted strong like it's doing now in a while! Hopefully it will continue to function correctly! The first time it happened was right after I got gas at a Chevron before a Sunday ride, so I thought it was bad gas.

I put SeaFoam in the gas tank on Friday, but it seems it wasn't until I put it through the vacuum line that it made a noticeable difference with my hot start issue!

After it is warmed up make sure you put it in neutral when you go to crank it. I too have a 2008 model. I solved my problem by installing a Ballistic 12 cell lithium battery.

Mine did that when the regulator/rectifier was shot. Was your recall done? Even if it was, it could be on its way out again. Only affected the bike when it was hot. (the bike, not so much ambient temp)

Back