Hot start issue

phantm

Registered
There have been previous threads on this issue, but I'm not sure what was looked into and what in the end fixed the issue.

I have a 2006, limited edition, and it starts without issue when it is cold. But after it is up to temp it will not start. It attempts to turn over but it sounds like the battery doesnt have enough cranking amps to get it going.

I initially thought tha it was a battery, so I purchased a new battery, threw it in (verified the charge to it). Started it up (as it normally does) took it for a ride, and it stranded me when getting gas. I bump started it, which is suprisingly easy, and drove it home. In the garage attempted to restat it and the same thing.
I checked the battery at this point and its showing 12.6, so I went inside for about 2 hours then came out and it fired right back up.

I have heard everything from recitifer, started, starter clutch, and even saw a video when the issue was with the steel pin that hold the starter clutch in place.

Are there any sure fire ways of figuring out what the issue is other than throwing quite a bit of time and money at this issue?

Thanks in advance !!
Jon

Welcome to a fellow Canuck....

Sorry about your issues....

If you looked in some of the threads on this subject, I was personally told I'm out to lunch and no such issue exists...

Some say to hold the throttle open slightly when cranking as they figure it is a vapor build up?
Some say get a serious CCA battery to overpower the issue
Some say to use the key to shut it down and not the kill switch as this might cause the issue....

All three generations seem to suffer from this issue but nothing has been established as either the root cause or fix yet....

Welcome @phantm.

Immediately after any ride the battery should be at 13+ volts, indicating that the charging system powered the entire bike and put extra voltage across the battery to lift it slightly above 12.75, where a fully charged new battery would measure. When a fully charged battery goes below 12.75 on the ride, that hints that the battery was powering the bike. Also a fully charged battery can run a bike for 40+ minutes, so just a hint, time can be a factor versus hot and cold.

It helps to know the history of the bike ownership and maintenance.

You must perform electrical measurements from the service manual. They are easy while getting access may be the most time consuming. There is DC voltage, AC voltage, leakage/short circuit, and impedance of stator coils.

So I get out of work at 4:30pm. Back starts right up no issue, I let it warm up, as usual, and then I go home. Google shows it as a distance of 8.8 km's (5.4 Miles for my friends to the south). I get in the garage, turn the key off, and get off the bike, wait about 2 minutes as I put my helmet and gloves and jacket away. Try to start the bike, no dice. Take the seat off and take the tester 12.84. Check the clock 4:57pm. Go inside, have supper. Come back out at 6:28pm. Try the bike, fires up as though there was never an issue, check the temp and it still even has some ridual heat, sitting at about the top of the C just a bit above the bottom line.

So I get out of work at 4:30pm. Back starts right up no issue, I let it warm up, as usual, and then I go home. Google shows it as a distance of 8.8 km's (5.4 Miles for my friends to the south). I get in the garage, turn the key off, and get off the bike, wait about 2 minutes as I put my helmet and gloves and jacket away. Try to start the bike, no dice. Take the seat off and take the tester 12.84. Check the clock 4:57pm. Go inside, have supper. Come back out at 6:28pm. Try the bike, fires up as though there was never an issue, check the temp and it still even has some ridual heat, sitting at about the top of the C just a bit above the bottom line.

Try that again but test the battery before starting it up the second time.

Try that again but test the battery before starting it up the second time.
So I just did this and at the start the battery is registering 13.53 before turning the bike on. Started the bike up, let it warm up and checked again, showing 14.97-15.01 So I jumped on and went for a ride, about 30 minutes. I got back and checked again - 14.97-15.01. Stopped the bike but this time it is showing 13.51 when I shut it off. Went out about 30 minutes later and still showing about the same 13.58

So I just did this and at the start the battery is registering 13.53 before turning the bike on. Started the bike up, let it warm up and checked again, showing 14.97-15.01 So I jumped on and went for a ride, about 30 minutes. I got back and checked again - 14.97-15.01. Stopped the bike but this time it is showing 13.51 when I shut it off. Went out about 30 minutes later and still showing about the same 13.58

Is it at 15 volts at idle? For idle that is far too high. The resting voltage is far too high. The rectifier which regulates voltage is not working and it is harming the battery.

Back