hawyniron

welcome... but why on earth would you ride 5 miles after an oildown?   If the motor is knocking, odds are that damage is done already.. There are just to many points of wear to expect no damage after that type of distance.

Yes the dealer is at fault but you would be also after running that far after the oil blows out of a motor..

I would have stopped IMMEDIATELY and then busted out my camera (or phone camera) shot pictures of the oil on the ground and then called the dealer to come pick the bike up...
+1,000,000

and me personally... i'd have taken pics, told them pick it up like Bogus said and get a new bike [.]

but hey thats just ME.

if you bought it new,on your owners card has the whole vin#, if they say they replaced the engine, the #'s should be different. (shouldn't they? how else would you be able to tell?) good luck. get a '08 from 'em

While riding home from the shop the oil filter blew its seal
rock.gif

Did you get to see this "blown-out" seal after the fact? Given the other high-quality aspects of this servicing job as you've described them, I might suspect the filter wasn't tighten to spec.

This is a total drag, hawyniron.
thumb_down.gif

Horror stories like these are one of a gazillion reasons why I never let anyone touch my bikes but me. As long as you keep all receipts for work you do yourself, any future warranty claim should not be an issue.

Seeing the dicked-up fairing re-install job when picking the bike up would have sent me in orbit.
banghead.gif

Thanks for the input I got pics, Usually I do everything myself. but the dealer here just wants the first service and after that I can do. I didn;t want any warranty issues, they are pretty good about warranty on about anything for the first year. Can't change the engine or it will be considered salvage so they say? Hopefully I should get a new 2007 black, an exact replacement of what they destroyed monday! Hate to be a trader, but if monday falls through I will get a new zx-14 and have the courts collect my refund later. So sad the way the suzuki dealer treats us here.

Thanks for the input I got pics, Usually I do everything myself. but the dealer here just wants the first service and after that I can do. I didn;t want any warranty issues, they are pretty good about warranty on about anything for the first year. Can't change the engine or it will be considered salvage so they say? Hopefully I should get a new 2007 black, an exact replacement of what they destroyed monday! Hate to be a trader, but if monday falls through I will get a new zx-14 and have the courts collect my refund later. So sad the way the suzuki dealer treats us here.
Best of luck, I hope it all works out.

I just feel bad for the next owner of that piece of sh!t. They'll stick it right back on the showroom floor with the story "it has so few miles because it scared the previous owner". Someone is going to get fugged.

Once you get your new bike, tell us the name of the dealer. And don't take the new one back even for the 600 mile service. They cannot legally void your warranty if you do that service yourself. All you need are dated receipts. I also take digital photos of all my maintenance tasks and the odometer at the time. It's good proof for warranty claims and a great selling point for future buyers if you ever decide to sell.

That could have been disastrous. Good job not letting the bike hit the ground, etc.

All good advice, above.

I would never, ever take my machinery there for service, and would advise others of this incident in the most appropriate fashion.

On my 600 Katana a shop failed to tighten up properly after an oil change. I ended up sitting on the road looking at my severely damaged bike. The process of restitution was becoming drawn out. I told the owner of the shop that I'd own everything he had if he didn't appease me. In the end, he bought the Katana from me at full market value. I took the cash and laid it out on my first 'busa, back in '02.

Good luck. Glad you're not hurt.

Scar

went to motgomery motors the suzuki distributor explained whats going on, stafford montgomery apologized and I left with a new 2007 black, exactly what was destroyed. Now I need to start powder coating the cans and pegs, alarm,leds.... I'm seeking legal adice for damages, I lost a lot of work time to just get the bike switched out. I will have the full story if my lawer permits. keep you guys posted and thanks for the support and input
ALOHA!!!

While riding home from the shop the oil filter blew its seal
rock.gif

Did you get to see this "blown-out" seal after the fact? Given the other high-quality aspects of this servicing job as you've described them, I might suspect the filter wasn't tighten to spec.

This is a total drag, hawyniron.  
thumb_down.gif

Horror stories like these are one of a gazillion reasons why I never let anyone touch my bikes but me. As long as you keep all receipts for work you do yourself, any future warranty claim should not be an issue.

Seeing the dicked-up fairing re-install job when picking the bike up would have sent me in orbit.  
banghead.gif
Thats how dealerships operate
thumb_down.gif
thumb_down.gif
thumb_down.gif

Unfortunately once you hear knocking from an engine because of lack of oil, the damage is done. The dealership just wants to get you out of their shop. When your bike dies (and it will) you're gonna be even worse off than now. They'll use every excuse in the book to blame you, and you'll wish you'd never bought the bike
sad.gif
You're gonna have to get on this VERY aggressively RIGHT NOW or its gonna become a nightmare. NEVER EVER take your bike to a dealership unless you DAMN WELL know that they're actually capable of doing more than damaging your bike. I personally believe if a person can't do most of their own work they shouldn't own a bike. I would NEVER trust a dealership mechanic with my life unless I knew him and his work VERY VERY well
winkold.gif

thumb_down.gif

thumb_down.gif

thumb_down.gif

went to motgomery motors the suzuki distributor explained whats going on, stafford montgomery apologized and I left with a new 2007 black, exactly what was destroyed. Now I need to start powder coating the cans and pegs, alarm,leds.... I'm seeking legal adice for damages, I lost a lot of work time to just get the bike switched out. I will have the full story if my lawer permits. keep you guys posted and thanks for the support and input
ALOHA!!!
I would expect that you had to sign some kind of contract when they replaced the scooter...

I think I would be very grateful that they just "took care" of the issue so quickly.. They could technically had held you up for months and months for resolution if ever..

Be grateful, accept the loss of time and be happy that they stood behind their work... Having spent a lot of years in the service biz, the only thing you stand to gain at this point is lawyer fees (both sides) I bet..

Oil on the rear tire sucks!! I broke my oil pan last year at the track and fish tailed doing about 70 or so. I would talk to the shop but when the motor doesnt have any oil in it then it will knock. I ran my bike with no oil in it and when I pulled the moter apart the bearings looked fine. For now on I would take it to "Smithers".

Back