Oil drip from oil plug only when ran (maybe)

Beekove

Registered
I just bought my first bike, gen1 2003. Got it home and parked it. Next morning I found a nickel sized oil spot underneath. The drain plug was covered in oil. I wiped it clean a day ago and now it is still clean with no leaks. I can see a little oil on the pan toward the rear too.

I’m thinking it was leaking when it was ran or hot but I didn’t see anywhere else it could have come from. Any ideas?

Last edited:
@Beekove

it could be that the previous owner was too stingy to install a new suzuki pinch seal (crush washer).
solution:
- under no circumstances should you tighten the screw with more Nm - the thread in the oil pan tears out and then ....

1. new washer from suzuki (~ usd 2)
2. bike on the side stand (front to the mountain)
3. Pull the handbrake and "block" the lever (stronger zip tie or so)
4. larger pan under the bike and drain oil
5. wipe the sealing surface on the oil pan and drain plug so that no crumbs of dirt remain there
6. put the new seal and screw back in/on
7. tighten it with max 23-25 Nm
8. refill the oil from the pan

accomplished (max 15 minutes)

@Beekove

it could be that the previous owner was too stingy to install a new suzuki pinch seal (crush washer).
solution:
- under no circumstances should you tighten the screw with more Nm - the thread in the oil pan tears out and then ....

5. wipe the sealing surface on the oil pan and drain plug so that no crumbs of dirt remain there

Exactly my thoughts too, Frank.
I NEVER use a torque wrench on a sump plug.
I have enough experience with them to KNOW when enough is enough as the pressure is being applied from my shoulder through the short 6 inch bar and socket.
Never use a long bar to tighten the sump plug.
Just my 2c.

even with 40 years of exp. I use allways a torque wrench for the oil pan plug
the f..king thread in the pan is so super sensitive and the danger to crush it is super high.
I have seen guys strip the thread in the pan because the torque wrench is out of calibration or they haven’t set it correctly, I’ve never stripped a thread tightening one by hand and have never had one loosen off and drop its oil…. So it’s a case of each to their own methods and what works for them.

@Beekove

solution:

Thanks. I’ve got a low-torque torque wrench that should manage 16.5. I’ll give it a shot. Needs an oil change anyway.

FYI
This is Not a crush washer, it is what some dealers will sell you claiming it is, when this just a flat washer.

20230225_191153.jpg

they are super usable at all M14-plugs at every bike.

i use em, for eyample, also at my ´90 yamaha fj 1200 with 100% success - AND the torque at my fj is now 23 Nm but never more the horrible 46 Nm yamaha posted in the manual (with cupper - washers)

Back