Oil plug leak

Stupid me, last time I did an oil change over torqued the drain plug and now I have a leak. Its an 04 busa btw. Also, I drained the oil throughly cleaned both the bolt and the hole to make sure there is no dirt causing the leak fill it up with oil last night and I just came home from work and notice a very small amount of oil coming between the bolt and the pan. When I had the bolt out, from my view (bike was up on stands) the threads looked good. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecated. TIA.

If you're sure you didn't strip anything.....might be all you need is a new crush washer!?

get a hali coil kit , 10 minutes your done !
biggrin.gif

if the threads look good you need a crush washer like CCbusa said... the dealer gives them to me when i go get a filter from them. Dont forget to pry the old one off the oil pan bolt first though... that can be a pain!

I feel like an idiot, there was a washer on the bolt but it was so pressed down on the bolt. I got a new washer put on, ran the bike at idle till it got up to temp shut down and let it sit all night and just checked now since I got home no leak. Thanks to all for their input.

Had the same problem but saw signs of thread damage. Ended up pulling fairings & exhaust off to drop sump off and retapped thread out to 5/8" as it's the next size up. Got a 5/8" sump plug & reassembled. Was advised not to use Helicoil as the thread has a slot up the side for oil drainage which it will block and also the possibility of the Helicoil coming loose because of the split not giving 360 degrees contact.

There is a street/dirt place right next to me at work. He mostly focuses on dirt. I told him my situation and he stated that there are sleeves you can get into the original hole and that would do the trick, luckly I just needed a new washer. Stay safe out there this weekend people! Happy 4th!!

Back