hawyniron

hawyniron

Registered
Took my 2007 hayabusa with 600 miles for first service, when I picked it up I had to remove the lower fairing  and install it correctly with the shops tools. (the tab was sticking out over the lower fairing from the top fairing).  While riding home from the shop the oil filter blew its seal,(I was going about 90 MPH) oil hit the back tire and started to fishtail.  I was able to get it under control, by the time I got off the road 5 miles later. I could hear knocking so I shut it down, the red oil light was on. I leaned the bike and seen no oil in the sight glass Dealer says he check it out and no damage was done, put some oil and the bike runs great and I should take it home.  I would like a new engine at least, can I get some input it would be greatly appreciated

I'd tell that dealer i want another bike or my money back... then i'd tell all my friends about the experiance and never go there again...

If you heard knocking, damage is already done. They need to make it right, replace your motor.

Make sure this is documented and send a letter to Suzuki. Get the Service Manager to sign it. Mention it to your friends that have or are thinking of buying a bike from them.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Glad you were not injured .
thumb_up.gif

knocking does not necessarily mean damage, but I would strongly urge the company to either give you a new bike, or your money back/money toward a new one. Things like that (especially that early in the break-in) can cause excessive cylinder wall wear, ring wear and peak temperatures. This CAN cause these things, and to be safe I would assume that at least one did. Maybe call Suzuki and tell them, might help if the dealer gives you shid.

Thanks for your concerns and input, My wife was behind me when this happended. She rides a 2007 gsx-r 1000 (she kept passing me @ 140 mph when I was on my 2002 gsx-r 1000), She thought the bike was going down at 90 mph. I kept it under 5500 rpm and now was time to take it to 8000 rpm. 5500 rpm in 6 gear is about 110 mph, what would 8000 be? next year I wanted to add turbo kit, so I deeinately want a solid engine in the bike.

New motor or new bike...the time it took you to stop from 90 miles a hour buddy it was toasted.I say think what you want but I wouldn't be taking it home...they should have tested it before you rode it home...Ask Wolfman same thing happened to his bike,and it was sent to me so believe me I know what it looked like inside...

i would make sure Suzuki knows about this and it is documented, i am sure they dont want this kind of thing happening to often..

oh yeah Welcome to the board

welcome... but why on earth would you ride 5 miles after an oildown? If the motor is knocking, odds are that damage is done already.. There are just to many points of wear to expect no damage after that type of distance.

Yes the dealer is at fault but you would be also after running that far after the oil blows out of a motor..

I would have stopped IMMEDIATELY and then busted out my camera (or phone camera) shot pictures of the oil on the ground and then called the dealer to come pick the bike up...

mr bogus trying to stay upright with the back tire covered with oil a little tricky, I was in the fast lane surrounded by cars, my wife had to cut off two cars just so I could get out of the fast lane.  When this first happened, I thought I blew a tire and once the bike stop fishtailing I started to pick up speed thinking its ok to ride.  Because my wife was flahing the lights and beeping the horn, I decided to stop. I heard the knocking when I stopped. my wife told me when the smoke first started, I had no idea anything was wrong until it blew completely and once I had control thoght everythings ok.  I did call the dealer to pick up the bike, which he did.

WHEN THE BIKE FISHTAILS ALMOST OUT OF CONTROL AT 90 MPH, STOPPING IMMEDIATELY MIGHT BE FATAL! ESPECIALY SURROUNDED BY CARS. I consider myself very lucky, someone was looking out for me! I honestly thought I was going down and get runned over

knocking does not necessarily mean damage, but I would strongly urge the company to either give you a new bike, or your money back/money toward a new one.  Things like that (especially that early in the break-in) can cause excessive cylinder wall wear, ring wear and peak temperatures.  This CAN cause these things, and to be safe I would assume that at least one did.  Maybe call Suzuki and tell them, might help if the dealer gives you shid.
If his motor was knocking at 90mph believe me damage was done. You might accept that's it's ok from the shop, I certainly wouldn't.

New motor or new bike...the time it took you to stop from 90 miles a hour buddy it was toasted.I say think what you want but I wouldn't be taking it home...they should have tested it before you rode it home...Ask Wolfman same thing happened to his bike,and it was sent to me so believe me I know what it looked like inside...
+100

No Oil + Knocking = Damage.. No ands ifs or Butts..
Document it get in touch with the big dogs.. ask for a teardown and inspect..

The dealer will tell you it's fine,ride it out the door and blow up 1 mile down the road and you caused it due to low oil prior to service and you will be paying out your pocket...best of luck to you whatever you decide......

start with the dealer and make them make it right. At the SAME time contact suzuki and run everything by them. If that doesn't work, get a lawyer to draft a letter to the dealer to threaten them that you want and demand a new engine. The $50.00 or so for a letter is alot cheaper than a new engine out of your pocket. Try that for starter.

Back