Having 2nd thoughts about my bike...

Hey Brother,

Ya got a itch to scratch and don't know what to do...why not just do the drag race thing for this year...it's a lot less $$$ than if you do the LSR thing, and safer too. You could drag your bike just the way it sits...save the $$$ that you would spend for mods and use them for tires, fuel, repairs, and some trips to other tracks. I'm sure you have some local tracks for the 1/4 mile thing...LSR can be BIG BIG $$$...more life threatening than draggin'. Keep it simple and have some fun :thumbsup:

There we go Scott. We can do races at Great Lakes this year together. I will let you use Kurt's Leathers. Let me know Brotha.

All I can say is when it is your time to go there is nothing you can do and if you do something you will regret you will always have that question in the back of your head. As for Dave Owen do not let that influence you man the man went out doing what he loved. Bottom line is Big D you could die tomorrow doing what ever so just get on the Busa and ride and remember throttle control is all in your head not in your wrist. :beerchug:

ummm...you must not have seen my bike:whistle:
i put a very BIG reminder on the tank...and all over the rest of the bike, too.

That does you no good at all! Put pics of kids on speedometer where you know your limit is suppose to be. The current pics on your bike, make you want to get to your destination, and back home for some lovin as fast as possible:thumbsup:

D,
you have a beautiful pics of your wife painted on your bike right, when you get on you bike think of this do you want to scratch your bike that has a pics of your wife and be the last view that you had on the person that you love? no right so when you get on you bike just think of you wife and kids and I'm sure you will want to se then after you out for a ride. Have fun and enjoy you bike and family.

All I can say is, don't compromise your life because of fear. In other words, if it's in your blood to ride, it makes sense to ride.

You can maximize your opportunities, though. Sounds like you need some training on keeping your mind engaged while riding/racing and you need some training on throttle management. I could be wrong but what I would suggest is that you go to a racing school that teaches both things and also consider a sports psychologist. They can do wonders for you.

One of my friends puts a post-it note on the dash board of his bike with a note about what he's working on. Something like, "Look through the turn," or "Throttle control," or something like that. That way, it keeps reminding him and he doesn't get lost in the ride as we all have a tendency to do.

Optimizing your enjoyment means living longer and enjoying it more and sometimes that does require taking a step back and re-learning some skills that will make that possible.

Last but not least, I don't know how your girl is, but mine would be very saddened if she saw me give up something I love just because I was afraid to die on a bike and leave her behind. She obviously wants me to live life to the fullest and if I die doing something I love, what better way to go?

It's not a replacement by any stretch, however, I do have a decent life insurance policy and need to get a disability policy as well.

Just some thoughts, though. Not trying to tell you how to live your life but take it for what it's worth to you.

:beerchug:

--Wag--

man wag is right. My aunt told me she always worries when i get on my bike but she said that she couldn't tell me to stop what i love to do..

Scott, hope you are able to work things out with yourself, you know you love to ride, just learn to control your throttle hand and cruise on that beautiful bike, nothing wrong with takin it easy. Besides, we would miss seeing you and Amy at the bash. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

scott, you gotta do what makes you happy man. Be as safe as you can be but you have to be happy. Like others said, try drag racing, track days or maybe just build up to the LSR slowly. First things first, gotta get your big anus some HQ leathers. Gotta have that for track, drags or LSR anyway, might as well start getting them. I know I feel better riding in full gear than just a jacket/gloves/helmet, dunno just puts me more at ease.

Also Amy and the kids know you, if riding is part of you, they will respect it and understand your need to ride. Do you own the busa outright? no payments ??? If so just get a cruiser of some type, there are lots of cool ones out, street fighter type that you can tear around town with your group and then take the busa out once in a while for spirited rides or drag racing at the track. Do some track days, just take it easy for a bit and just enjoy the ride. You'll know when the time is right to tear it up and when to hold it back, with age comes wisdom (though sometimes it takes us longer to realize it :laugh: )

Either way, best of luck to ya, we'll always be here and welcome you to any event regardless of the bike you show up in or truck/bad anus muscle car/whatever :thumbsup:

some people are risk takers and some aren't... which are you?

LSR is one of the safer forms of racing. There have been very very few deaths directly related to LSR. As for Maxton, the accident with Dave with the first ever serious life threatening injury/fatality.

I have a similar "itch" for speed as you. LSR provides me the outlet that I need to remain sane on the streets. I wouldn't limit the LSR experience to just the moment being at speed. The whole event is what I enjoy. Seeing the usual folks and meeting the new ones. My heart beat begins to increase just when I think about the races. I could go on for pages why I dig it and why it's part of my soul. BTW, I'm married with two kids as well. I had finaly convinced my wife to attend a LSR event and the one she attended was the one when we lost Dave. She was already concerned about me racing but even more so after the reality of how dangerous it can be. I'm still racing and she plans on coming to the future events as well. She really understood the allure for me and saw first hand the emotional attahcment that many LSR folks have to the events, the people, and racing.

Maybe you should attend an event before you make your final decision. I think you're the only one who can make the right decision for you. You just have to find the answer to your own question.

you have to figure out what is right for you...this time of year probably isn't the best time to be making this decision in my opinion after not being able to get out and ride much with the weather you all have been having...if riding is something you can do without and you don't feel you have the self-control needed to keep you out of trouble, do what you have to do and we will support you 100%...however, i would take my time and make sure i knew my mind before jumping into anything

Hey Brother,

Ya got a itch to scratch and don't know what to do...why not just do the drag race thing for this year...it's a lot less $$$ than if you do the LSR thing, and safer too. You could drag your bike just the way it sits...save the $$$ that you would spend for mods and use them for tires, fuel, repairs, and some trips to other tracks. I'm sure you have some local tracks for the 1/4 mile thing...LSR can be BIG BIG $$$...more life threatening than draggin'. Keep it simple and have some fun :thumbsup:

these are exactly my concerns bro-$$, $$, DEATH...and $$:banghead:
i just keep seein cruisers and I know I'd never try an on-ramp to see if I can power-wheelie in 3rd...

pirelli has a nice motto: "Power is nothing without control" I have no problem controlling the power of the bike...its ME that needs controlling:banghead:

I've honestly had so many speeding tickets i cant remember anymore... suffice to say I know the legal system in WI very well n there are a few judges who now know me by face:whistle: I've managed to avoid ever getting a ticket on the Busa:thumbsup: *because I never go over the speed limit on public roads* (that was for the LEOs out there:cheerleader:)
but regardless of WHERE the speeding gets done...I dunno I guess im just really shook after this last car crash, I should be dead 5-6 times over already and Im only 31 years old.
Im kinda likin this whole 'bein alive' thing and not being handicapped, on top of being 6' 7" and a lean mean 210lb Busa-wrecking machine:cheerleader: I have been to tha local 1/4 mile @ Union Grove, and IL has two tracks w/in driving but I know in my bones-I wana go FLAT OUT...I mean tach needle bouncin in the red in top gear, FLAT OUT=pure bliss to me. but Im really not ready to temp The Reaper again...my gut is doin triple flips and my wife just keeps saying "do what you want baby" (n i know she means it...but it dont help any) I can afford to race LSR if I dont do anything else this year I'd be set for the 2010 season-but Dave O's recent death really struck home w/me and I know a few other guys who've had nasty get-offs and they are ALL better riders than I...

I think going the 1/4mi route for a few more years til my common sense grows and I get more real experience is the best thing here...

That does you no good at all! Put pics of kids on speedometer where you know your limit is suppose to be. The current pics on your bike, make you want to get to your destination, and back home for some lovin as fast as possible:thumbsup:

thank you for that good laff man-i needed to smile a bit

ummm...you must not have seen my bike:whistle:
i put a very BIG reminder on the tank...and all over the rest of the bike, too.

Well that answers the question, no wonder you're not looking at the road! But then neither would I :whistle: Advice still stands Big D, whatever you do we will be here to support you.

DR

thank you for that good laff man-i needed to smile a bit

I'm glad to help. Thought it was a good point:thumbsup:

I have been there wrecked that also, been life flighted once with broken back and skull. I was just passenger in a small truck not doing anything wrong. So it can happen anytime anywhere.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well perserved body, but rather skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming Holy S@#T!!!!.......What a Ride!!!:devil:

i dont know you personally, but im willing to bet that whatever you ride, be it a busa or a cruzer, your gonna push it to its limit, so it might as well be on a lighter and better braking machine. the only advice i can give you is this...if your gonna be stupid, be smart about it. get you some leathers and continue the track times, gear up so that if you do bite it, at least your odds are going to be better:beerchug:

Shorten it, raise it, and Road Race it! Seriously. Take it to a road race track and learn the art of cornering. It's a real rush to blast down the front strait at over 150 MPH just before you crank on the brakes and throw the Busa into the first corner. It will make you a better rider all around, and it is safer than street riding in every way. The RR tracks have run-off areas for most corners, and fewer obstacles than even the strip. Try it and you will be hooked.

:beerchug:

Hey Big D - I wish that I had some good words of wisdom for ya, but I don't. So just know you got people thinking about you and have your back if you just want to vent. Sometimes the best thing in the world is to just "talk things out loud" to yourself. Suddenly it all becomes clear as a bell once you hear it out loud.

Back