Having 2nd thoughts about my bike...

BigDiesel

Registered
ok, so I've only owned my Busa since 2005, and in the first 2 years I wrecked on the bike 3 times:banghead:...gave myself 2 free busrides, but never a broken bone or even a deep flesh wound I wasnt wearing a helmet in any of those accidents either:shutup:

the bike has been rebuilt since June of '07 and I havent droppped it since *knockin on my wooden head for luck* but I have been doin serious thinking since the end of the last riding season for me.

I originally bought the bike as a street ride that I would build into an LSR machine-but after nearly killing my fiancee on it... I thought it appropriate that I honor her forgiveness of me, and also that I needed to slow my f**kn roll a bit. hence the current state of things:bike is stretched, lowered and currently the LSR chainguard and new forks are bein readied for the bike-other mods are listed...

I have been layin plans for an all-motor buildup to run possibly next season @ Maxton n Texas but after reading about Dave Owen's wreck and subsequent death out at Maxton and with my past track record (o yea not only 3 wrecks on bikes, but I also have totalled 5 cars n walkd away from those too:whistle:).....Im really honestly scared to race my bike anymore-and it f**kn hurts to hold back for me because the only time I actually enjoy myself on the bike is doin _ _ _mph:cry:...and I dont keep it on the track (although I did go several times last year...but after 3 runs under 11sec I get booted from my track because of saftey rules-need 1pc leathers *and those'r easy to find when you're 6'7":banghead:) SO:

My dilemma has become-should I just sell bike, *NOT plastix...just bike w/new set*:moon: and start fresh w/something slower to keep me alive??
or...beat my f***n head against the tank every time my wrist starts to get 'itchy' and Im on the interstate (ps...IL finally re-paved over 40miles worth of I94 that I use to go down there to school and visit my brother...its guna be pristine when the snow melts...4 lanes wide and flatter than Rosie O'Donnel's GF:laugh:-can u see where Im going to have some SERIOUS issues this summer?)

Im seriously at a loss here guys. I wana go fast:please:-but at what cost?? Dave left 2 kids behind and a wife, and he wasnt the only racer to go down last year at a track...I have 2kids & wife too-and there's nothing worse for a racer than doubting yourself and your abilities...cant see myself doing anything at the tracks this year but spectating right now which has been torture the past 3-4 times I tried that.:banghead:

Im completely lost...

wow Big D. I don't even know what to tell ya. I"m not going to offer advice either way because only you can make that decision. If you're seriously thinkin that you might kill yourself, maybe its time to switch over to a cruiser or something.

I don't have the answer for you, bro. It sounds like you have your head on straight and you realize whats important to you and your family. Keep us updated.

P.S.- How much you lookin to get for it?:laugh:

RACE RACE RACE ! WHEN YOUR TIMES UP IT'S UP AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT ANYWAY . MY PAST IS WAY WORSE THAN YOURS . I'D BE RACING NOW IF IT WERE'NT FOR WORK . GOOD LUCK AT THE TRACK . THAT TEXAS MILE SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF FUN AND I'M SURE I'LL BE THERE SOME DAY . :thumbsup:
ok, so I've only owned my Busa since 2005, and in the first 2 years I wrecked on the bike 3 times:banghead:...gave myself 2 free busrides, but never a broken bone or even a deep flesh wound I wasnt wearing a helmet in any of those accidents either:shutup:

the bike has been rebuilt since June of '07 and I havent droppped it since *knockin on my wooden head for luck* but I have been doin serious thinking since the end of the last riding season for me.

I originally bought the bike as a street ride that I would build into an LSR machine-but after nearly killing my fiancee on it... I thought it appropriate that I honor her forgiveness of me, and also that I needed to slow my f**kn roll a bit. hence the current state of things:bike is stretched, lowered and currently the LSR chainguard and new forks are bein readied for the bike-other mods are listed...

I have been layin plans for an all-motor buildup to run possibly next season @ Maxton n Texas but after reading about Dave Owen's wreck and subsequent death out at Maxton and with my past track record (o yea not only 3 wrecks on bikes, but I also have totalled 5 cars n walkd away from those too:whistle:).....Im really honestly scared to race my bike anymore-and it f**kn hurts to hold back for me because the only time I actually enjoy myself on the bike is doin _ _ _mph:cry:...and I dont keep it on the track (although I did go several times last year...but after 3 runs under 11sec I get booted from my track because of saftey rules-need 1pc leathers *and those'r easy to find when you're 6'7":banghead:) SO:

My dilemma has become-should I just sell bike, *NOT plastix...just bike w/new set*:moon: and start fresh w/something slower to keep me alive??
or...beat my f***n head against the tank every time my wrist starts to get 'itchy' and Im on the interstate (ps...IL finally re-paved over 40miles worth of I94 that I use to go down there to school and visit my brother...its guna be pristine when the snow melts...4 lanes wide and flatter than Rosie O'Donnel's GF:laugh:-can u see where Im going to have some SERIOUS issues this summer?)

Im seriously at a loss here guys. I wana go fast:please:-but at what cost?? Dave left 2 kids behind and a wife, and he wasnt the only racer to go down last year at a track...I have 2kids & wife too-and there's nothing worse for a racer than doubting yourself and your abilities...cant see myself doing anything at the tracks this year but spectating right now which has been torture the past 3-4 times I tried that.:banghead:

Im completely lost...

Scott, You have to do what is rightin your mind. You have yoiur head screwed on staright and think Rationally MOST of the time. Do not second guess yourself. If you feel this is what you need to do for You, AMy and the kids then maybe you should. Nobody can make that decision for you but you. We will support you no matter hwat you do. Keep it, Sell it. We are behind you 100%. besides if you sell it, You can ride oneof my bikes any time bro'.
Best of luck in what ever it is you do.
I have your back Bro'

Talk with others who do alot of track days. They will have tons of advice and lots of experience you can learn from. I only know of a few ( I was a spectator at the last Miller Motorsport track day with other org members), but I am sure there are others out there. BA Busa, Lamb, Charlesbusa, gtrpimp (you gotta watch this guy ride sometime, insane), Professor (Drag races), and Vman. BusaWhipped swears he is a better rider from having been to the track days. Good luck in your quest. :bowdown:

BigD, agree with the wife and kid thing, I took a few years off biking when the kids where very young, but biking will always be in your blood as it is in mine. Just lock the Busa up in the garage for a few months, don't sell it, just keep it:beerchug:

If your heart of hearts is telling you that you might kill yourself, than you might want to re-evaluate your priorities. Maybe a cruiser would be the way to go or your gonna have to just focus on what is important when you are riding your busa. Try taping a picture of your family to your windshield and see if that will help you focus on your speed. I would not do anymore speed mods at all seeing that you have enough power. I know that people will say when it is your time, it is your time. There is no need to go before your time and leave your family behind. Consider yourself blessed to have made it through all of those wrecks. This requires some soul searching for sure bro. Whatever you decide, we will not be mad at you.:bowdown:

I hesitate to comment but here goes...know your limits and build on them. I have wrecked sking, mountain biking, and on motorcycles...I slowed down, but realized that I have an attitude of finding my limit and then taking one more step to see what happens. That has proved to be the wrong approach for me. It sounds like your aware of "something" and that is great...learn from the past and look foreward. You don't have to limp the bike around just be easy on the wrist. I think about this myself all to often.

Do you bro. i would think the thought of the wife and kids should be enough to chill you out. That's what keeps me grounded. Now every once in a while I get a hair, but reality brings me back (after a few miles :laugh:)

Scott... I'm with ya here... granted I don't do top speed runs but a few squirelly runs in the 1/4 is enough to make you question your decision.

There are days when I want Darrell to sell the drag bike and I never want to take another trip down the track ... and those thoughts usually continue all the way up to the tree... I MAKE MYSELF DO IT. I refuse to let this bike defeat me. Granted I am running 10's.. not insanely fast.. but lots of pucker factor when something goes awry.

I do not have kids or anyone to leave behind/ take care of... but I DO VALUE my life. I ride like a Grandma on the streets... just ask anyone who has been stuck behind me at the Bash. I push the envelope on the track and am not sure how much longer I am going to do that.... I'd like to that 50yr old woman still racing.. but just don't see it in the cards..

As everyone said.. you have to do what is right for you... if you KNOW you are a loose cannon, you KNOW you can't control yourself... maybe it IS time to go safer. Only you will know.

Last edited:
your gonna have to just focus on what is important when you are riding your busa. Try taping a picture of your family to your windshield and see if that will help you focus on your speed.

ummm...you must not have seen my bike:whistle:
i put a very BIG reminder on the tank...and all over the rest of the bike, too.

AMYBUSApics 049.jpg

Brother,
I wouldn't cut the Busa loose. If you can afford the luxury of owning a cruiser at the same time then do so. I know I love my Rune when I get to ride it. It will get up to high speeds too but seems to encourage me to relax and take it all in for much of the time. It may be the best option to get your two wheel fix on the road and do the Busa thing on the track and/or LSR events.

I could prolly swing a used cruiser too, but the thing is owning this awesome machine just makes me want to go out and use it...ALL of it-i know, people own guns but dont walk up n down the street just poppin off rounds (unless u live in Iraq), so I shud be able to own this bike and NOT try to rip the speedo needle off its axis:whistle:

BUT-Im afraid that Im not afraid ??? yeah that sounds weird-but when Im racing, I dont think about anything else-i love that Zen mindset that I get into rolling out of staging and runnin flat out, but I have seen/felt what this thing can do, and my will to NOT do it all the time usually only wins out because of things like traffic and State Patrol cars.

I know if i keep this bike, I'll end up dumping over $5k into it to get it where I need it be for ME-whereas getting a cruiser would mean not drooling over Carbon Ceramic Matrix Composite rotors and monoblock forged aluminum brake calipers, or Carbon Fiber rims and ceramic race bearings *as much*, since it would be pointless to run them on a reg. bike...

I just dont know how to control the urges all the time-and THAT, Im truly afraid of.

Scott,
only you can make the decision. I stand by your choice. YOu an d amy are great people. It is upto you to turn the throttle. Remember the times you have had wiht out going fast. the bash, meet and greets. (gas cans involved) just remember that fast is fun only when your safe and you your head is in the game. If your distracted by getting hurt is about the time it will happen maybe iit is winter just talking but give it some time before you pul lthe trigger on your decision.

WE all stand by whatever it may be :beerchug:

Hey Brother,

Ya got a itch to scratch and don't know what to do...why not just do the drag race thing for this year...it's a lot less $$$ than if you do the LSR thing, and safer too. You could drag your bike just the way it sits...save the $$$ that you would spend for mods and use them for tires, fuel, repairs, and some trips to other tracks. I'm sure you have some local tracks for the 1/4 mile thing...LSR can be BIG BIG $$$...more life threatening than draggin'. Keep it simple and have some fun :thumbsup:

Back