Harley crossover

busa senior

Registered
Hello, new member here.  You have a strong and healthy support group for the Hayabusa. I am impressed.

I recently sold my Fatboy which was my second Harley.  I was bored with the lack of power, stopping ability and agility.  The Harley does what it is designed to do but I am no longer satisfied with the cruiser life.

I have been looking at the Hayabusa for a few weeks and test drove one around the block.  

I am not sure if I can adjust to the different ergonomics at 6'3'' 225lbs.  My knees seem like they are up my armpits from what I am use to.  A  friend, who is a machinist, said he can lower the pegs as low as I want to go and raise the handlebars if I ride it for a while and can not adjust to the  riding position.  

If you have made the crossover, can you tell me your experience with the change.

Thank you for your advice.  
rock.gif

Welcome! You'll receive plenty of info soon! Some members have a Busa and a HD. Also there are plenty of mods that can make your ride a very comfortable one! Enjoy!

Didn't make that crossover, but am about the same size you are and am quite comfortable. You can make some changes to the ergos for comfort. Welcome.

I'm 3 inches shorter but weigh the same (yeah I have a beer gut so what? lol) but the bike fits me nice and hauls my a$$ around with power to spare.

Welcome aboard, you found one of the best sites on the Web, great group here.  

<!--EDIT|Fugly
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152210839 -->

I had (actually still have, just not riding it) a Sportster 1200.

Ergos are different for everybody; it definitely is a change, although I can say with certainty that I'm not as fatigued after 600 miles on the Busa than I was on the Harley. I'll chalk that up to less vibration, as the fairing on the HD shielded the wind far more than the Busa does.

Most importantly, I feel considerably safer on the Busa. The power-band is smooth, it can actually be somewhat nimble for a bike of its weight, and the sheer power of the engine can get you past troublesome cagers quickly.

You probably won't look back. Nothing against HD - it's a fun bike to ride around town, but overall the Busa is considerably more fun overall.

Your first problem will likely be that you'll put too much pressure on your wrists due to the riding position; that'll last a week before you adjust and get comfortable - after that, it's just a matter of respecting the beast of a power-plant this thing has.

Your friend is right - you can get bar-risers and lower the pegs with some aftermarkets (with a resulting small loss in cornering angle) to adjust the ergos to your taste. I personally haven't done this, but there's a number of people on this board who can point you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard + have fun!

came off of sportster 1200 and the changeover I have loved every minute of it. The Busa is just so much more, to me the Busa is more comfortable than a harley especially my lower back(keep back straight on Busa unless tucked and flying) work on your abs it will help on your wrist soreness and back and Shortboarder is right I can handle alot more miles on my Busa than I ever could a Harley
buell pegs are a mod some ppl use to get a little more room for taller riders you can lower the back with some dog bones this will put you more upright if you want to be more upright, I did mine but thinking about moving it back to normal height for flickability reasons but it is more comfortable on my wrist lowered

on the overall you will never be disappointed in the Busa IMHO
wink.gif

and Welcome to the org and we love Pics come on show off your new Lady you know you want to
biggrin.gif

here's mine (Charity)

bikecropside.jpg

Welcome aboard, Im 6'4" 250 and teach the MSF course with mine. There are plenty of after market pegs and riseres to be had .

I still have my 1 Harley Sporty,and 1 Custom built better than a Harley.
Getting the Busa was a whole new thing to me,I really didn't kno what to expect at all never really owning a sportbike.
In fact my wife laughed at me the day she seen it (well,after she got over the fact that I didn't tell her it had a new home) cause she always thought I was a Harley man thru and thru!

The more I ride this thing,the more I love it! I can see lotsa trouble coming my way though,for the mere fact that I cant keep it under 100.
My legs do get cramped up at times,it is certainly different the way you straddle a Busa.

BTW,I'm 42 not so young anymor!!

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152214879 -->

My suggestion it to ride it for a while and get use to the change before you start changing things. There are LOTS of risers and pegs to choose from if you need to change. I think you'll be more comfortable after a couple of 100 miles. Remember the seating and leg positions are really different. Me I'am 6' and 200 Lbs and did change the bars with Helibars and Pegs to lower them slightly and the change was perfect !!
tounge.gif

I agree. Just ride it as is and get used to it. You, then, might not want to change the bike at all.

Hello and welcome i myself is new to this board and i own a sporter 883 and when i bought my Busa,The biggest difference is the power . Iwould be doing over 100 and still not feel anything this Bike is stable unlike my Harley when i do around 80 its starting to shake a bit.

I came off a Sportster, and at first you're going to think "How does anyone ride this way!"  On a Sportster, you are sitting up straight and your legs are much lower and not so far back and the bars come back to your hands.

On the Busa, just getting your feet on the pegs is going to seem like an effort. The bars will seem far forward, and you will feel really bent forward, and you are bent forward, but it will feel exaggerated at first.

You will have to train yourself to get your weight off the handle bars, which will be your first inclination.  If you don't your hands will go numb pronto.  You have to develop your abs and back muscles and let your back support you.  And here is a tip.  Learn to keep your feet on the ground at an intersection until your absolutely sure you're safe to pull out.
If you start a turn and slam on the brakes for a car, the Bus will pitch you over before you can get your feet down.

You'll get used to it in about a month (if you're an old guy like me).  After a while, you won't even notice your feet slipping onto the pegs.  You'll find that riding with a loose grip and letting your back take the weight becomes second nature. Be cautious with the throttle, but once you get used to the acceleration and top end, you'll find yourself laughing at Harley riders with their loud exhausts and slooow performance.

On a Sportster, all the noise and vibration make you feel like you're going fast.  On a Busa you will be going fast.  Everytime I look at the speedo I'm running 90 or a 100, and that is just a comfortable stroll for the Bus plus the wind in your chest lifts your weight off the bars.  Watch that you don't run into a curve at a hundred without thinking and find out your not set up (leaned over far enough) for it too late.

It will be a whole new learning experience.  If you like fast, you'll love it.

Oh yeah, I'm 6' 1" and 250. With a size 14 foot, the first thing I had to do was take it to a shop and let them weld 1 and 1/2 " in length to the foot shift.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152284720 -->

Thank everyone for your responses. I have not read a forum post yet where the busa owner regrets buying the bike or wish for a different bike. To me that says it all.

I will post pictures soon.

Note: I use the member name busa senior because I am 55. I thought at 55 I was kind of over the hill for a sport bike but maybe not (this is just about the median age of my harley riding buddies).

Welcome b senior. You are never too old to own the bike you want. As long as it meets your needs and riding style, it's a perfect choice. I would be willing to bet the Busa has one of the smallest percentages of dis-satisfied owners of any bike out there.

Thank everyone for your responses.  I have not read a forum post yet where the busa owner regrets buying the bike or wish for a different bike.  To me that says it all.

I will post pictures soon.    

Note: I use the member name busa senior because I am 55.  I thought at 55 I was kind of over the hill for a sport bike but maybe not (this is just about the median age of my harley riding buddies).
"Uhhhhhhhhh" 55  
wow.gif
 , your just a PUP !!!
jump9.gif

At one time I Had a FXST, an FLHTCUI and the Busa. I sold the Softail in Jan. to make room for the Dune Buggy and now I gotta find more room for the 67 camaro i'm getting the wife for her birthday! BUT, That's not what you asked. Coming from a HD to the Busa (Or any sportbike for that matter) is not too bad. Your riding position is the biggest hurdle. You HAVE to learn to support your upper body with your stomach and legs ( by squeezing the gas tank slightly between your legs). That will greatly reduce the weight off your hands and wrists and your hands won't go numb after 15 minutes of riding. You have NEVER experienced this kind of power on ANY Harley. The first time you get into the REAL powerband of the Busa ( it comes alive around 6500 - 6800 rpm) all other bikes become S L O W. Your harley friends will be absolutely amazed at the power you will be showing them. Do what i did to my buddy that thought he had the fastest thing around. Take off from the light and stay next to him up to about 90mph (keeping yours in 1st gear the whole time) then shift into 2nd and just leave him. He'll be mad at you for a week but everybody else will be laughing their butts off with jaws dropped at the same time.
Enjoy the madness!
OH, get yourself a set of $25 Buell pegs to put on her and your feet will drop 1.5 inches lower
wink.gif

Welcome b senior. You are never too old to own the bike you want. As long as it meets your needs and riding style, it's a perfect choice. I would be willing to bet the Busa has one of the smallest percentages of dis-satisfied owners of any bike out there.
Yep. I'm 59 since April. I'm really happy with the bike. It put the fun back in riding.

Welcome aboard!

I love the converts. Please take it easy and stay outta trouble...speed costs money. It takes money to mod.

Back