Handlebar replacement - easy or not?

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
I want to try replacing my helibars with stock bars. Why? Because the housings hit the windshield and I don't like that.

Service manual says I have to take the throttle cables loose but helibar install directions I found online do not mention that. Do you have to do that or not?

I want to try replacing my helibars with stock bars. Why? Because the housings hit the windshield and I don't like that.

Service manual says I have to take the throttle cables loose but helibar install directions I found online do not mention that. Do you have to do that or not?
I installed Heli bars about two weeks ago. I removed the throttle cables from the tube to make it easier for me to remove the bar.

What kind of windscreen do you have?

from HeliBars installation instructions:

CAUTION: Move the handlebars all the way to the left steering stop and make sure that the kill switch does not contact the fairing/windshield. If it does, loosen the two pinch bolts and rotate the bar rearward and re-torque. Check that the kill switch is unaffected.

It's easy.
If you already have Heli-bars on, then the throttle cable clamp has likely been removed.
Look on the throttle side of the frame, below the front of the gas tank, there will be a small bracket, bolt, or threaded hole visible, which clamped both throttle cables against the frame.
There is no need for it regardless of which bars you have, and it gives you more slack in the cables to remove the bars.
Just remove the allenhead bolt on the inside end of each handlebar, and slide each out of the top plate.
Then you can pull the right handlebar out of the throttle tube.

It's easy.
If you already have Heli-bars on, then the throttle cable clamp has likely been removed.
Look on the throttle side of the frame, below the front of the gas tank, there will be a small bracket, bolt, or threaded hole visible, which clamped both throttle cables against the frame.
There is no need for it regardless of which bars you have, and it gives you more slack in the cables to remove the bars.
Just remove the allenhead bolt on the inside end of each handlebar, and slide each out of the top plate.
Then you can pull the right handlebar out of the throttle tube.
I could have used this advice lol. Completely forgot about that cable clamp when i installed the helibars.

from HeliBars installation instructions:

CAUTION: Move the handlebars all the way to the left steering stop and make sure that the kill switch does not contact the fairing/windshield. If it does, loosen the two pinch bolts and rotate the bar rearward and re-torque. Check that the kill switch is unaffected.
What pinch bolts?

What pinch bolts?
Inked61DaHsV-8kL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I would use the Helibars instead of the riser, if you are set on removing one of them, as the Helibars are angled higher on the outside ends, and provide a little more lift an comfort, vs everything being an inch higher.

I would use the Helibars instead of the riser, if you are set on removing one of them, as the Helibars are angled higher on the outside ends, and provide a little more lift an comfort.
The riser is for lowering the front end. Forks are sticking up an inch through the riser

I would use the Helibars instead of the riser, if you are set on removing one of them, as the Helibars are angled higher on the outside ends, and provide a little more lift an comfort, vs everything being an inch higher.

The riser is for lowering the front end. Forks are sticking up an inch through the riser
Yep, that just dawned on me.
The forks won't slide through the stock top plate.
Sorry

Back