Half Mile Noob seeks advice

bazooki

Registered
I am just about to sign up to my first ever half mile event that will put me up in a friendly charity competition against some big horsepower exotic cars. I have been riding for over 30 years and have had my 2005 busa for 3+ years now but I have absolutely zero dragracing or top speed event experience. Of course I have spent lots of time above 250 km/h on highways but never in front of an audience or against competition. The event is at the end of August at an airport runway and runs exactly half a mile with I think another quarter mile for braking. Some of the competition includes a 1000 hp Corvette Z06, 1000 hp Nissan GTR, 600 hp Nissan GTR as well as various Lambos, Ferraris and other sweet four wheeled hardware.

Anyhoo....any advice or tips from experienced runners of this type event would be very much appreciated.:please:

I wouldn't run against those cars unless there was a large concrete divider between us. Some of those people have absolutely no clue on how to drive or control their car. good luck to you

I wouldn't run against those cars unless there was a large concrete divider between us. Some of those people have absolutely no clue on how to drive or control their car. good luck to you

Its only solo runs so no head to head against the cars. You get three runs and I believe they are using a radar gun at the end of the half mile to get your speed.

The best tip I can think of at this time is...Give us some pictures of the event! :thumbsup:

Yeah the big day is tomorrow and it looks like they have 60 cars running with some being very serious 1000hp cars...my biggest concern is actually identifying the half mile mark and braking in time before I run out of runway...they have a 1/4 mile for braking zone. I am also a bit wary of the tar strips out there so I will have to decide on a good line.

Just got home from a great event. Posted the fastest 1/4 mile time with a 10.17 and had the 3rd fastest overall top speed on the day with 251 kph at the 1/2 mile mark. Top honors went to a nitrous fed 911 turbo at 258 kph and a 1000 hp Z06 got 2nd at 254 kph. Very fun and very addictive!

Congrats and good job! :thumbsup:

Now with a few mods you could make those cars look silly... :laugh:

Glad you had fun... :beerchug:

Any pics?

A few riding buddies were there.
One guy was on his track only GSXR1000 and the other was on an R6.

Here is the board after the first run.(in km/h)
2012-08-25121916.jpg

My buddy said he saw bazooki run 238 on the first run, but they only posted 219 for some reason. He also said his GPS showed his run as a 254(not 248). So, either the radar guns were off, or they wanted car guys to win.

For the money, I would rather pay $25 and only run to 225km/h at the dragstrip 38 times. I think you only got 3 runs for $160 at the runway event.

Now if they would only open up the Ottawa International Airport 10000ft runway. :please:

Yeah, I was a little confused about how my top speed at a half mile was so low when I was running low 10's at the 1/4 mile? I thought going into this that my Speedohealer was set up pretty accurately for my 43 rear sprocket and speedo error (-13.8 adjustment) but I could be wrong....my best recorded speed was 251 km/h but my Speedohealer showed around 265 km/h...either way the shortness of the braking zone kept all three of us on our toes so I am not sure if either of our Suzukis could have gone much faster without ending up in the swamp at the end of the runway. The whole event was for charity so I don't mind the event cost and we had a nice lunch and it was basically a show of some of the sweetest cars you will ever see so I am happy with it and will do it again next year. They are limited to 60 vehicles doing the runs due to time but it ran like clockwork so a big thumbs up.:thumbsup:

Should have kept factory gearing. Depending on your mods, you should have been 300kph or very close if weather conditions were favorable... ;)

Back