New LSR event

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
This year will mark a new milestone in the history of LSR. There will be, for the first time in the USA, a 1.5 standing mile land speed race on pavement. The event is scheduled for August 1-2, 2009 at Loring Air Force Base, Maine.

There are people from accross the continent that plan on making the pilgrimage to this event because of the extra .5 mile. This is the event that has enough room to host this event. :bowdown:

Alot of racers who race the 1 mile events are still accelerating pased the mile and know that with the extra .5 they'll be even faster. I'm certain the 260 mph top speed barrier will be shattered at this event. :cheerleader:

Here's some more information provided by Bob:
Check out... http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7772641.jpg
The best map of The Runways at Loring. Print out the following to get a guided tour.

In case whoever gets this hasn't seen the facility in Limestone, Maine, here's the best shot I've yet seen . It was taken by a local flyboy from Caribou, a few miles West of there. The Maine (pun) runway is on the extreme right, will be run south to north. It is 300 ft wide by a total paved area of over 14000 ft long. We will initially utilize that 1,000 ft concrete pad for the start, followed by the next app. 7000 ft of asphalt for a total of one and one half miles, or 7920 ft total, to the 132 ft traps. This is followed by another over app 5000 ft for deceleration, Shut Down. Looking at the map, half way between the second and third bisecting at right angle
connecting roads is about where the traps will be. About 1000 ft beyond is the initial return road access left ,or Short Shut Down, available to vehicles that can negotiate the turn if their speed is slow enough, due to great brakes or lower initial trap speeds.We expect the more utilized exit will be the next, Long Shut Down, encountered after the concrete pad at practically the north end, with an obviously also left turn to the Return road. Whether using either the Short or Long accesses , proceed to the farthest West runway to return to either the pits or the Start/Staging area. The center runway is Off Limits to everybody, as the DEC/EPA is currently utilizing it for their specific purposes. I believe we can cross over it from the Short access to the far left (West) and just keep right from the Long Shut down to get to the Return Road.
That large paved rectangle to the left ( West) of the Concrete is our pit area, and out of sight to the south and right is staging. We will finalize the return process after consultation with the Loring Development Corp.
We, the LTA, would appreciate it if all participants would stay to the road we mark out and designate for entrance/exit to our areas only, as that is what our Insurance covers. It is also what our hosts, the Loring Development Corp, the Limestone PD and FD , and the Maine Inland Wildlife request of us.
So far they all have been more than gracious in allowing our presence on this setting so perfect for our needs.
For more specific info, the LDA site is Welcome to the Loring Commerce Centre!
Bob Wanner, Just one of the A's in Loring Timing Association

++++
If your interested in following the progress you can check in the Loring (AFB) land speed vanue section in the Landracing.com forum.

I wish I had the time and funds to get all the way up there. That place is going to be awesome... :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great opportunity for you fast guys and gals. Enjoy the event. Post up some pics whoever makes it there.

DD

Sounds like fun. Most record setters I imagine have their bikes set up to run all out at a given distance for that distance. I feel someone will break that 260 mark.

there's gonna be alot of interesting results. Aero's are going to play even more of a factor with the +.5 mile. Some people predeict +10 mph for the ones that already race the 1 mile while others think it wont be as big of a number.

I know in my case I'm still accelerating at the 1 mile all thoguht it's not by alot. In my case I can see +2 to 3 mph depending on sprockets and the weather.

I'll just be glad to be apart of the first ever event. :thumbsup:

Sounds like fun. Most record setters I imagine have their bikes set up to run all out at a given distance for that distance. I feel someone will break that 260 mark.

there's gonna be alot of interesting results. Aero's are going to play even more of a factor with the +.5 mile. Some people predeict +10 mph for the ones that already race the 1 mile while others think it wont be as big of a number.

I know in my case I'm still accelerating at the 1 mile all thoguht it's not by alot. In my case I can see +2 to 3 mph depending on sprockets and the weather.

I'll just be glad to be apart of the first ever event. :thumbsup:

Enjoy , be safe, and make sure you take lots of pix.

DSC00031 (Small).JPG

Anyone who is looking to attend should try and book a room at the Caribou Inn. They'll have a discount rate for their rooms. You have to mention that you need the "LTA racers discount" and mention that Betty Hersey, hotel manager, is aware of this.

Caribou Inn & Convention Center - Caribou Maine

Also on Saturday night after the racers there will be an informal get together at the hotel. Even if you're staying some where else I would suggest attending this to meet everyone and have some fun. :beerchug:

I was planning on lodging out of the area as not to eat up a room for one of the racers, plus the price hike. But i might have to look into this. I spoke with Donna oer at Loring and nothing has been confirmed yet, so i havent made reservations.
Do you happen to know the events for each day. Me and a bunch of friends are making a long weekend of it and i wanted to get an idea of the events. Bikes on Saturday?

Thanks for any info. You can PM me if you want. Are you going?

The racing will be on August 1st and 2nd. The exact times hasn't been established but you can expect everyone will be ready to race from dawn to dusk. They're modeling the event in coordination to how the ECTA runs their events. This means bikes and cars both days. You line up in the stagging lanes near the start line and one by one each racer makes their pass.

As more detailed information is available I'll try and pass it along as best as I can. I'm going for sure. :beerchug:

I'm 100% in. Hoping track condition is A+.

Regarding registration, does an ECTA "A" licence suffice or are licencing runs required. Can we pre-register for the event, and how. Are log books, etc. required?

Regarding accomidations, can we camp on site (Like Maxton) or do we definitly need room reservations.

Is a Fuel truck available like Maxton, required like Bonneville, or none of the above.

Sounds like fun.:laugh:

I will also pass info as i get it. Donna said she'll shoot me the info ASAP. Keep me posted Commuta. Maybe i can meet up with you there and you can hook me and my guests up..:beerchug:

ok, to answer some of the questions as best as possible at the moment. Like I said, as more concrete info comes I'll post it here for everyone as well.

It hasn't been determined exactly if LSR racers from other events will have to make licensing runs or not. Some debate since it's a new track to everyone we're all rookies while others want to take full advantage of every possible run they can make. It may be that the experienced LSR racers may have to make one license run to validate their license class. LSR rookies will follow similar guidelines that the ECTA has established for licensing runs. The brackets or classes are 125 -> 150 -> 175 -> 200 ->250 -> 250+ mph licensing runs.

I'm sure pre-registration will be the preferred method but as of now the price, mailing address, pre-reg forms, etc. haven't been communicated.

As for log books, if you're already a LSR racer you should have your log book and should bring this with you for tech inspection. The rookies, I assume, will be issued a new log book either through the pre-registration process or at the track/event.

As for accommodations, they are trying to setup both a designated RV and camping area at or near the event. Loring air field is pretty darn big so it more the likely not going to be an issue. I don't have any tent camping experience here so I don't know if the conditions are favorable or not.

As for fuel, this is being investigated. It isn't clear as of yet if there's a VP Race gas rep that is going to make it all the up there. Since they do plan to follow inline with the ECTA rules then there needs to be some way of securing qualified race gas for the gas classes.

Keep posting any questions so I can make sure that not only my own questions get answered but also any that I haven't asked.

Dropbusa - I always like to meet others at these events. Stop by at my pit area or catch me at staging any time. I'll help you and anyone else out as best as I can. :beerchug:

I will deffinately stop by and bother you.:laugh:

Me and a bunch of friends are scheduling a long weekend around this event. Probably going to catch a few hours of passes Saturday around lunch time, then were going to go get lost in Canada for some evening fair. I posted a thread in the random thoughts area trying to see if anyone had any good places to see. I looks like were going to hop on (marijuana Leaf 2) and ride to the coast grab some dinner and ride back. Hope we dont come across any of them HUGE NORTHERN ANIMALS:laugh::beerchug:

Last edited:
It might be even better if you made it to the event as it opens on Saturday morning. I'm sure they'll be some good annoucements and thank you for coming stuff. The morning runs are sometimes some of the best although it's a new track to race on. The other option is to try and make the evening affairs at the Inn. It's a really good time to really chat with everyone when they're not focused on making runs. Just a thought though. You can stop by, hang out, help out, or whetever anytime :beerchug:

My biggest concern for the event is the weather. It's a 50/50 chance for precipitation in the area, based on historical weather patterns from 1993 to present.

What time are they looking to start on Saturday. I might try to make it then. For me a little rain wont hurt nothin, but i know you guys dont like it. 225MPH in the rain might not feel good. And you probably wont be able to stop either. :laugh:

Back