Thinking of trying to make a LSR event this year, but have some questions

Wild07

Registered
So, straight line racing isnt something new to me, been drag racing for 4 years or so on bikes now. I want to try by the end of the year to make a LSR event(probably Maxton since it's the closest to me). Right now, my bike sits at about 63', 3-3.5 inches of ground clearance when it's set on race mode, 1397 with dual intakes, decent compression and nitrous. I've got it geard at 16/45, with a 180-55 shinko. I've got a Power One that'll go on it before it makes it to the track anywhere. With that gearing I'm quite sure I run out of RPM at about 172-3mph, and from some road testing I know I run out well within a mile. If I tuck the wheel up to the 62in I like it at, I'm breaking chain links, and if I go back to some gearing that will run me out the back door at a mile I'm doing the same.

Safety stuff aside (leathers, safety wire, etc.) I would love to make the 175 mark in a mile. Does anyone have a gearing suggestion for my power and tire combo? Not looking to re-invent the wheel, just want to have an idea on what I would have to change to get me to the goal, and hope I can put it in the budget.

I did a 200 hp 1397 pump gas Busa stock gearing and wheelbase
First time ever at the Tx Mile and went 174 on his first pass then 176 on the next(he never got 6th)
stock gearing will easily get you 175 unless YOU are not areodynamic

175 should be a fairly easy mark to hit in the mile without even touching the nitrous. Like JC said stock gearing will do you fine.

i went 177.4 on a basic mod 05. I weigh 245 unsuited.

TXMILEMARCH2011(2).jpg

I'm 5'8", 220, but can tuck well. Looks like If I run it back to the stock 17/40 I'll be ok from what you guys are saying. How similar is Maxton to drag racing as far as getting out of the hole? I'm used to making my 60' and 330' as good as possible, even while playing the index game. Will it be similar or is it more of a get out smooth, not necessairly aggressive and let the bikes hp push it down the track? Also, I spray it while dragging, but dont know what the ET is like for a mile, and dont think I'd want to be hosing it down for 15-20sec at a time. Opinions?

it's similar and it's not. you don't have nearly the traction at maxton as you would at at strip. There's no burnouts either. So you still want to be aggressive on the go but not to the point that you start spinning through the gears. You still want to hit your ahift just right and keep yourself in a good tuke the entire time. It'll feel like your longest drag race ever, lol. As for spraying I wouldn't bother until you've had a few passes at speed. Then if you want spray 6th, if all goes well and you've got a fresh bottle spray 5 and 6. Nobody wants to hear about someone grenading their engine. Also, since it's your first time there you'll have to go through rookie orientation. 1st pass @ max 125, then 150, then 175, then give it all you've got. They want you to demonstrate control and the ability to come as close as possible to the target speed. You'll have a blast. There's nothing like airing it out for a mile. Well, there's loring where it's 1.5 miles.

First off! Get rid of the 16/45 gearing. Install at least a 18/41 but 17/40 will work for a start if your running some juice in 5th/6th. Breaking 175 is cake, and you'll soon want to close in on 190 and you can't with stock gearing. Running the mile is totally different than the 1/4. You will need to safety wire your rear and front front axles, run metal valve stems and caps and install a LSR chain guard that covers your entire chain length from rear of sprocket to your frame. You will need a snell 2005 helmet as a minimum and preferably a snell 2010. Kevlar covered knuckled gloves and good race boots. One piece leathers prefered but a 270 zipped 2 piece will work with metal zipper. A tether kill switch with approved pull strap (new style). You will need a back support with body armor. If your leathers have soft armor installed, that will work too. Remove the glycol from your radiator and use a water wetter or similar liquid.
Your battery must have a metal strap holding it down and bring plenty of sunscreen and/or a tent for cover. We no longer are in the north end of the airport and now at the start line area. If you have any other questions, you can email me. I will bring a few chain guards with me this next meet if you tell me what year your bike is and how long your swing arm is. No chain guard, no race. Oh, and bring plenty of water, an umbrella girl and a good cigar. I prefer a Drew Estates (any one of them).

Guy

Last edited:
Back