almost ready have some questions need advice

sailortrash

Registered
Sold my turbo gsxr about 6 months ago was ready to buy a busa but found some property and picked up a 99 vfr instead. Really wanted the busa but financially just couldn't do it. Any way about a 3 weeks ago some one broke in to my house and stole the vfr my antique gun and my knife collection along with tvs computers stereo equipment....... A whole lot of my stuff really pissed me off. On the flip side of that My insurance company will now pay me for the stuff most of which I was going to get rid of any way bc my new place is much smaller and will give me a much better price than I would have gotten any way. So now I can actually buy a new busa outright at least when the ins company pays me.:laugh: Well now that I have biotched enough here are my questions. What is the best full system exhaust for the 08-09 busa? Does the "C" mode give you any more fuel economy or make tires last longer? If I put a full system on the busa will I need to also put a power commander on it? Will a power commander eliminate the power modes? I want to turn the busa into a hyper tourer and take it cross country. What would you guys recommend that I equip the bike with. How much power can the charging system put out for other gear (heated hand grips, gerbing heated gear, radar detector, gps) Any help /advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jared

If you put on a full exhaust, you will get bets result and draw the most power from your full exhaust if you install a PC, IMO. Congrats on your purchase, just unfortunate as to the circumstances.

Last edited:
:welcome: R-77 fill system with no pc is what I seen so far. Research what warchild did to his bike.

Damn, Jared, got a few questions, do you? :laugh:

Well, I'll take a stab at some of them....

What is the best full system exhaust for the 08-09 busa?

There are a ton of completely excellent systems out there; there is no "one best", IMO.

The Yoshimura 4-2-1 R-77 system is among the most popular... it's an exquisite system, and reasonably priced. I have this system.

The TiForce systems are also superb... either their 4-2-1-2 setup, or what may be the absolute lightest system offered anywhere, their 4-2-1 system.

Does the "C" mode give you any more fuel economy or make tires last longer?

My early testing suggests the MPG does not really improve to any significant degree. This "A-B-C" system is in place primarily for marketing/liability/whatever reasons. It is essentially superfluous for the vast majority of experienced riders.

If I put a full system on the busa will I need to also put a power commander on it?
Yes and no, depending on the system in question.

Of course, there are raging threads about this subject. Most of the tuners (save one or two of the more professional among them) insist you need to buy a PC-III with a system..... surprise. And many of those who have already dropped $300-$500 for a PC and custom map will tell you how essential one is..... again, no big surprise there. But the key is which system you select.... the 4-2-1 R-77 system mentioned above does not significantly benefit from a PC-III with regard to power gains. It may enhance throttle response to some degree... but HP gains are trivial. Other exhaust systems do seem to benefit from the PC-III.

I want to turn the busa into a hyper tourer and take it cross country. What would you guys recommend that I equip the bike with.

Well, you really can't carry dìck on this bike without scoring yourself some luggage. Lots of options abound... Ventura Bags, SW-Motech racks with Givi hard cases, etc, etc. Hit the Search button above, and start reading! :laugh:

How much power can the charging system put out for other gear (heated hand grips, gerbing heated gear, radar detector, gps)

I have studied this aspect of the bike very closely, and am very suspicious of the claimed alternator rating of "~ 400 watts". The loads I have put on the bike suggest it is a bit healthier than that, which runs completely against what is expected.

I have lit up my Hella HID driving lights (~90-watt draw) and have had the Heat-Troller for the Warm-N-Safe liner set on 60% (~ 60-watt draw), and this combo should have sent the Datel voltmeter tumbling down to an undesired reading in the 12.6v-12.9v range. However, it doesn't. I am still reading a relatively happy 13.5v-13.6v. This is unexpected, though welcomed. Constantly running like this over time makes for an abbreviated stator lifespan, however, 13.6v means you are still charging the battery pretty well. Mathematically, one should have (roughly) 100-watts available, but happily enough, real-world testing suggests it's a bit more than that.

Damn, Jared, got a few questions, do you? :laugh:

Well, I'll take a stab at some of them....

There are a ton of completely excellent systems out there; there is no "one best", IMO.

The Yoshimura 4-2-1 R-77 system is among the most popular... it's an exquisite system, and reasonably priced. I have this system.

The TiForce systems are also superb... either their 4-2-1-2 setup, or what may be the absolute lightest system offered anywhere, their 4-2-1 system.

My early testing suggests the MPG does not really improve to any significant degree. This "A-B-C" system is in place primarily for marketing/liability/whatever reasons. It is essentially superfluous for the vast majority of experienced riders.

Yes and no, depending on the system in question.

Of course, there are raging threads about this subject. Most of the tuners (save one or two of the more professional among them) insist you need to buy a PC-III with a system..... surprise. And many of those who have already dropped $300-$500 for a PC and custom map will tell you how essential one is..... again, no big surprise there. But the key is which system you select.... the 4-2-1 R-77 system mentioned above does not significantly benefit from a PC-III with regard to power gains. It may enhance throttle response to some degree... but HP gains are trivial. Other exhaust systems do seem to benefit from the PC-III.

Well, you really can't carry dìck on this bike without scoring yourself some luggage. Lots of options abound... Ventura Bags, SW-Motech racks with Givi hard cases, etc, etc. Hit the Search button above, and start reading! :laugh:

I have studied this aspect of the bike very closely, and am very suspicious of the claimed alternator rating of "~ 400 watts". The loads I have put on the bike suggest it is a bit healthier than that, which runs completely against what is expected.

I have lit up my Hella HID driving lights (~90-watt draw) and have had the Heat-Troller for the Warm-N-Safe liner set on 60% (~ 60-watt draw), and this combo should have sent the Datel voltmeter tumbling down to an undesired reading in the 12.6v-12.9v range. However, it doesn't. I am still reading a relatively happy 13.5v-13.6v. This is unexpected, though welcomed. Constantly running like this over time makes for an abbreviated stator lifespan, however, 13.6v means you are still charging the battery pretty well. Mathematically, one should have (roughly) 100-watts available, but happily enough, real-world testing suggests it's a bit more than that.

thank you this is exactly the information i need.

What is the best full system exhaust for the 08-09 busa?
very subjective question here. It is mostly about preference, but most (as stated above) will say the Yoshi R77, but as this is single sided, some prefer a different system that is dual sided.
Does the "C" mode give you any more fuel economy or make tires last longer?
C mode really is just to correct rider error a bit. It is essentially the same thing as not hitting the throttle as much. As far as I know, a rider with a steady throttle hand will get the same economy in A mode as he will in C mode. This is if he is babying it, though. It is just the same as if it is raining, a skilled rider will do just the same in the rain in A mode as in C mode.
If I put a full system on the busa will I need to also put a power commander on it?
As far as I know, no. It will make more power with the PC, but is not necesary. If you are racing, then I would say, yes you should get it, but you dont have to. I have heard that in some cases, it will run smoother, but this is just what I have heard, I am not sure if it is right.
Will a power commander eliminate the power modes?
Yes
I want to turn the busa into a hyper tourer and take it cross country. What would you guys recommend that I equip the bike with.
Luggage if that is your kinda thing.
I would say Buell footpegs, helibars, different seat (ive hear Corbins are nice), double bubble windshield.
How much power can the charging system put out for other gear (heated hand grips, gerbing heated gear, radar detector, gps)
I dont know, but I think Warchild has it spot on.

Back