I Have A Question About My 2014 Busa

Darryl A. Winston

Registered
I had a 1999 busa about 16 years ago and sold it about 8 years ago I just got a 2014. I don't know much about the gen2 busa but knew a lot about gen1. First question, do I need to do the air box mode to this gen 2 power commander

nope not going to make a difference. Mods i suggest are get the ecu flashed, full exhaust and thats about all it needs other then comfort mods...

You may want to look at doing the R1 throttle tube mod. Makes riding more enjoyable to me.
Maybe a better airfilter. I got lucky, i checked my airbox and it had a new k&n in there.

You may want to look at doing the R1 throttle tube mod. Makes riding more enjoyable to me.
Maybe a better airfilter. I got lucky, i checked my airbox and it had a new k&n in there.

Agree on the R1 throttle tube. I bought a used Gen-2 last year and took the K&N out and put in a stock filter. I don't believe you gain anything from a K&N filter on these bikes.

Agree on the R1 throttle tube. I bought a used Gen-2 last year and took the K&N out and put in a stock filter. I don't believe you gain anything from a K&N filter on these bikes.
Not sure I agree on the comment about the K/N. All my busas have had the K/N in and find most areas of economy/ performance Have improved. My latest was dyno'd by one of New Zealand's top mechanics, I'm getting better economy and nearly 6 more horses out of it, it's breathing freer too. Each to his own choice. Saves buying a stock one every it needs changing. Ride hard ride fast . Mike

No way I believe 6 hp improvement with a K&N. My drag strip passes don't lie. MPH tells the hp story. I've even removed the filter completely and seen no improvement.

Yeah mate did get 6 horse more. Got bikes computer remapped and removed restrictors ,power commander 3 . quick shifter dyno'd at 197hp . It's a 1340cc remember so nothing's impossible if you know the right people.

Just for the record, if the bike is tuned properly for the K & N filter it will perform better than the stock filter (6 hp I doubt, but it's a combination of filter and exhaust). Now is the K & N better than any of the other aftermarket "race" filters? Who knows. But the stock filter is restrictive because it is designed to work with a pipe with a cat., so that's a significantly lower flow.

You can tune any bike and make more hp on a dyno even without changing any parts. A buddy took his to a reputable tuner and got 5 hp with no parts changes at all ... but the bike did not go any faster at the track. Zero improvement.

You can tune any bike and make more hp on a dyno even without changing any parts. A buddy took his to a reputable tuner and got 5 hp with no parts changes at all ... but the bike did not go any faster at the track. Zero improvement.

That's because the bike was probably not tuned properly to start with, it's a well know fact that even the factory tune can be improved because it is setup to pass emissions regulations. A good tuner can usually find a few HP and other factors like temp/humidity can have a big impact. I'm not a drag racer but I think max HP is not always the goal of a great tune. I know for the street keeping a smooth bottom end is important. My tuner was able to get as much as 189 HP out of the motor but we settled on 182 HP because of the smoother power and better torque curve.

So anyway are you saying you ran a pass with no air filter :whistle:

Exactly my point. The bike wasn't tuned for optimum hp on a dyno to start with. Here is something to think about. People make a baseline pull, put some parts on and "tune for the new parts" and see what they gain. If you didn't tune for the optimum baseline performance then you can't claim that air filter made 6 hp. My buddy made 5 hp with no parts changed by tuning the baseline. Think about it - people port heads and put in cams for 12-15 hp and a filter makes 6 hp?

I have made passes with no air filter just to see what I gain, and it was nothing on a Gen-2. On my Gen-1 I made almost all my passes with no air filter as there was some gain in performance. On my second bike (I race two Gen-2's) I removed the K&N filter and put a stock filter back in. I've gone 154 mph in the 1/4 on that bike in almost 2000 feet of air at a total weight of 695 pounds, stock motor, generic tune with the stock filter. I am very happy with the stock filter and 154 mph.

"You dont need a PC"

As long as the flashed fueling map was made at close to your altitude, I doubt you will notice much improvement by refining with Autotune and a PCV. ..or Bazzaz ZAFM and ZFI. Just AutoTuned my ZX-14 and found no real difference between map and custom tune. Elevation change was a few hundred feet. Fascinating electronics but not really necessary unless you are racing or if you ride in the mountains and have a flash from sea level.

Back