Thinking of going turbo on 08 Hayabusa and have some questions.

spooledup

Registered
I am thinking of going turbo and though I would post up to gather some info. I installed a turbo kit on a zx-14 along with a full return style fuel system last winter so I have some knowledge. I also have lots of turbo experience on cars.

I wanted to ask you what fuel mods are needed? Could I run a stock fuel system and if so how much power is it good for? I hear the gen 2 fuel system is able to support some good power. When we did the fuel system on the ZX-14 we did a return style system with an Aeromotive FPR, a billet fuel rail, big injectors, and modified the stock fuel hanger to fit a walbro pump. I might do something simular but if the stock fuel system works I might do that to keep cost down.

Also how much power is a stock gen 2 motor able to handle turboed? Are any mods needed. I see some company's selling base spacers? Is that needed?
Thanks

Cisco

I am thinking of going turbo and though I would post up to gather some info. I installed a turbo kit on a zx-14 along with a full return style fuel system last winter so I have some knowledge. I also have lots of turbo experience on cars.

I wanted to ask you what fuel mods are needed? Could I run a stock fuel system and if so how much power is it good for? I hear the gen 2 fuel system is able to support some good power. When we did the fuel system on the ZX-14 we did a return style system with an Aeromotive FPR, a billet fuel rail, big injectors, and modified the stock fuel hanger to fit a walbro pump. I might do something simular but if the stock fuel system works I might do that to keep cost down.

Also how much power is a stock gen 2 motor able to handle turboed? Are any mods needed. I see some company's selling base spacers? Is that needed?
Thanks

Cisco

The Gen II fuel system is limited to about 220 HP. Any more than that and they become unreliable. A brand new pump and filter can provide more, but eventually they puke. You need to put a Walbro in the tank or external.

Turbos are remarkable easy on the motor because they are not "on" all the time. The only limiting factor with the Gen II is that at about 5 or 6 psi of boost, you will need to go into the head and replace the valves and springs. The Ti valves only have about 25 pounds of spring pressure, so boost tends to open them. The Gen I heads could be left bone stock. Also, at about 5 or 6 Psi of boost, you will need to pull compression with either a spacer block or turbo pistons. The spacer block will require you to pull the cams and put adjustable sprockets on them. Stock rods and pistons can probably survive up to 260 HP.

Call up Richard (RCC) and tell him what you want to do. A low boost system is an easy reliable way to make 240 HP. To build the same power "all motor" you would end up with a very high strung unreliable motor that overheats in traffic and requires a rebuild every two thousand miles. Both end up costing about the same amount.

yep i made 356 hp on stock injectors and a 1:1 fuel regulator set at 42 psi, not a stock pump though, RCC power :)

Back