Buying a passed friend's Hayabusa, have some questions.

THE MENACE

Registered
Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for a little while now, seems like you guys are all good guys, figured I would ask you guys a maintenance question....

A friend of mine bought a 2000 Hayabusa SE new, guy was a genious bike mechanic, kept good care of his bikes. He put it up for the winter last year, put it on a trickle charger, and unfortunately fell in last Feburary and passed away in June. Great guy, taught me most of what I know about bikes and cars. At any rate, his widow asked if I wanted to buy his busa, I said no because I figured it was to much bike for me anyways. After a few months went by, changed my mind, and lo and behold, she had been unable to sell it. Probably due to the weather.

My question to you guys is, what should I expect mechanically from this beast? It has 23000 miles on it, I took it out in August and ran it, clutch felt good, engaged well. Started right up too, gas to the brim in the tank. Our last conversation before he passed, he told me that when he got better he was going to do the valves on it, but not because it didnt run good, just because of the mileage. Tires looked good, if I remembered right. A friend said they had been replaced recently. Bike rolled well, as if bearings were good.

Also, what maintenance should I do to the bike before I do any serious riding? Was thinking Oil change, change check/lube, maybe gas switch (he probably ran it through with stabil or something), tire check, top speed limiter test (OK, that's a joke [might forget that I was joking once I ride it]) and the obvious brake checks and other safety checks.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

God bless,

THE MENACE

busa2.jpg

busa1.jpg

Welcome.

You have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. Be sure and check the chain for wear per the service manual.

On the bike itself. That is a 2006 LE unless he has swapped the bodywork. That swap is not too common as there some changes to the fuel system that requires a custom painted 99-00 tank, or several changes to make the new tank work with the injectors, sensor, and existing harness.
Since it has a black frame, the correct wheels, Rear undertail, reflectors, along with stock exhaust and turn signals, I really think you have an unmolested 2006 LE.

Just a FYI. Of the Gen I bikes 1999-2007 only the 2002 was marketed as an SE (Special Edition) 2003 had an AE (Anniversary Edition) and 2004-2006 each had an LE (Limited Edition). 2006 was the only “multi colorâ€￾ LE. All had black frames. All of the 2007 were solid color with black frames but were not designated “LEâ€￾ and were the only bikes with a black frame that did not have a SE/AE/LE designation.

I own a 2000 as well which now has 19K miles. It sounds like your friend did a good job of maintaining the bike so it probably needs very little maintenance before its ready to ride. I've talked to a few Suzuki mechanics and they all said that even though the manual says get the valves adjusted at 15K miles, they generally find that even at 30k the valves are still in spec.

There was a recall on the 2000 for the timing chain adjuster but if you call any Suzuki shop and give them the VIN#, they can check to see that the recall was performed. Since your friend was so meticulous with the maintenance on the bike, It's likely that the recall was peformed. But if it hasn't, then get that done before you ride it.

The valves are just a check periodically thing, ever 15k, I think. Sounds like she's good to ride with the maintenance items you already mentioned.

Don't forget, she's kinda heavy in parking lots and faster than ya think. :laugh:

Welcome.

You have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. Be sure and check the chain for wear per the service manual.

On the bike itself. That is a 2006 LE unless he has swapped the bodywork. That swap is not too common as there some changes to the fuel system that requires a custom painted 99-00 tank, or several changes to make the new tank work with the injectors, sensor, and existing harness.
Since it has a black frame, the correct wheels, Rear undertail, reflectors, along with stock exhaust and turn signals, I really think you have an unmolested 2006 LE.

Just a FYI. Of the Gen I bikes 1999-2007 only the 2002 was marketed as an SE (Special Edition) 2003 had an AE (Anniversary Edition) and 2004-2006 each had an LE (Limited Edition). 2006 was the only “multi colorâ€￾ LE. All had black frames. All of the 2007 were solid color with black frames but were not designated “LEâ€￾ and were the only bikes with a black frame that did not have a SE/AE/LE designation.

Yeah, what he said.... +1

Thank you all for the info. Wow! I did not know it was a 2006.....she seemed sure it was a 2000 for some reason, thought that was what he said too.....

I will go ahead with the maintenance as said. Just a bit worried about the tires, the bike was moved a few times to different spots so I am hoping that they are still in balance. Going to have to take a good look at those as well.

Looking forward to partaking in the community here. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in some small way.

Any good recommendation for frame sliders? I am not foolish enough to think that I may not drop it through a slow corner and would like to protect the plastics, even though he dropped it once on each side before :laugh:

THE MENACE

The only thing I have to add is check that 2nd gear is still good. If previous owners were not engaging the 2nd gear fully before letting off the clutch you will notice it sliding from 2nd to neutral under hard acceleration. You can check that by putting it in second and ripping the throttle, but I am guessing you have already done that.:laugh:

Thank you all for the info. Wow! I did not know it was a 2006.....she seemed sure it was a 2000 for some reason, thought that was what he said too.....

He may have told her it was the same 2000 he had with paint. I have a friend that bought a dirt bike new bike every year. It had to be white so his wife would not know the difference. I ordered white plastic for the bike 2-3 years I can think of!

If the paperwork ends up saying 2000, then we need to talk about it some more.

Another indication that it is not a 2000 model is the fact that it has gold upper fork tubes. 99 and 2000 models had silver. A fork swap is possible, but doubtful. In my opinion, the 2006 LE is the best looking stock Busa to ever roll out of Japan.

Another indication that it is not a 2000 model is the fact that it has gold upper fork tubes. 99 and 2000 models had silver. A fork swap is possible, but doubtful. In my opinion, the 2006 LE is the best looking stock Busa to ever roll out of Japan.

And the calipers, and the front rotors centers.

:welcome: Sorry about your friend. Valve check every 15,000 miles. I am just getting to the point of needing the adjustment now.

20121119_2219481.jpg

I have not bought it yet, will pick it up during Christmas when I am visiting Family. Checked, it is indeed an 06. Dont know why I thought it was an 00. Oh well.

Thank you for the welcomes guys! Yes, I think it's a good looking bike as well. Been my dream bike for a while now. Great article fallenarch, looking for some trex sliders now....

THE MENACE

Back