Had to Lay it Down

SD1300

Will ride for Oreos
Donating Member
:banghead:

SAN DIEGO -- A 29-year-old motorcyclist was hospitalized Thursday after he was struck by a minivan and dragged a short distance in the Castle area, police said.

The accident occurred in the 4000 block of Fairmount Avenue around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to San Diego police.

The motorcyclist was riding northbound when a southbound Dodge minivan driven by a 69-year-old man turned left and violated the motorcyclist's right of way, police said.

The motorcyclist laid down his bike and slid under the minivan, according to police.

He was hospitalized with a fractured pelvis.

The minivan driver was not hurt.

Yup, had to lay her down cause everyone knows a bike stops quicker when sliding along on plastic or metal!!! Dumbazz:banghead::banghead:

While it's easy to assume that the cager was at fault, there's not enough detail to draw a conclusion. Although there are plenty of cagers that drive poorly, there are a few riders that drive just as poorly. Not excusing bad driving, just sayin' that both rider and driver may or may not have contributed to the accident. The rider, in particular, has demonstrated poor decision making by choosing (or accidentally choosing) to lay the bike down. ???

SAN DIEGO -- A 29-year-old motorcyclist was hospitalized Thursday after he was struck by a minivan and dragged a short distance in the Castle area, police said.

The accident occurred in the 4000 block of Fairmount Avenue around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to San Diego police.

The motorcyclist was riding northbound when a southbound Dodge minivan driven by a 69-year-old man turned left and violated the motorcyclist's right of way, police said.

The motorcyclist laid down his bike and slid under the minivan, according to police.

Yup, had to lay her down cause everyone knows a bike stops quicker when sliding along on plastic or metal!!! Dumbazz:banghead::banghead:

Are we to assume this is you???

if so,glad your alive,and its better to lay it down then a full on impact,if given the choice,lay it down everytime if you cant avoid the collision

Are we to assume this is you???

if so,glad your alive,and its better to lay it down then a full on impact,if given the choice,lay it down everytime if you cant avoid the collision

No, it's not me. I've got over 400,000 miles on bikes and have never put one down..... never.

And your line about "lay it down everytime if you can't avoid the collision..." is 100% WRONG. Dude, stay on the brakes (you use the front one right) right up until impact to scrub off every bit of speed you can. Laying it down doesn't do anything but make pretty sparks. Please get some instruction.... please.

It's not me folks.... thanks for the calls and emails. I just wanted to show another example of the idiots choice to colision.... "laying it down". I would not have done it but the guy is pretty much OK.

what did I miss???
Sorry, that was kind of harsh.
If you "lay it down" you've thrown yourself and your bike away. Lost by default you might say. The worst possible thing you could do.
If your on your bike you can use your brakes, your steering, your wits, to do the most to avoid, or at least, minimize the crash. "Laying it down" is a rear brake panic maneuver that will put you on the ground, out of control, and totally unable to do anything to help your situation. Not to mention it's not only going to insure you hit what you should be trying to avoid, but it's also going to put you UNDER it, where you will not only hit it, but get ran over by it. And in this pore souls case, dragged down the road by it.
What would you really rather do? "Lay it down" and slid into and under it at 50mph? Or stay on the bike, all over the FRONT brake, scrub off and extra 30-40mph and hit it at 10-20mph or hopefully enable yourself to steer around and slide by behind it and go on with your ride?
Take a MSF advanced rider course, they go into the accident avoidance stuff in great detail.:thumbsup:

I would have to say we don't have enough info to render judgement on his reaction.

I have had 2 cars pull out in front of me that I hit broadside.
The 1st 1987, I was on a 2 lane back road in Ok. heading south. There was a car heading north, gas pumps on the right, & a 18 year old pulls 1/2 way across the road & stops, waiting to turn after the north bound car. I was screwed on the left, the right & heading straight. I hammered both brakes as hard as possible & then at the last second before impact jumped as high as I could. My left knee went through her windshield & I pushed the roof of the car in about a foot w/ my thigh, did a backflip over the car & landed about 35feet away. The Police estimate I impacted the car at close to 70 MPH.

The girl was driving a Hundai ... what if she was in a minivan? No way to jump over that. Impact straight into the side, no thanks.

What would do you do?

Sorry, that was kind of harsh.
If you "lay it down" you've thrown yourself and your bike away. Lost by default you might say. The worst possible thing you could do.
If your on your bike you can use your brakes, your steering, your wits, to do the most to avoid, or at least, minimize the crash. "Laying it down" is a rear brake panic maneuver that will put you on the ground, out of control, and totally unable to do anything to help your situation. Not to mention it's not only going to insure you hit what you should be trying to avoid, but it's also going to put you UNDER it, where you will not only hit it, but get ran over by it. And in this pore souls case, dragged down the road by it.
What would you really rather do? "Lay it down" and slid into and under it at 50mph? Or stay on the bike, all over the FRONT brake, scrub off and extra 30-40mph and hit it at 10-20mph or hopefully enable yourself to steer around and slide by behind it and go on with your ride?
Take a MSF advanced rider course, they go into the accident avoidance stuff in great detail.:thumbsup:

You forgot stand up on the pegs at the last instant and fly like a bird! :poke:

Good advice, I have had to stand on the brakes, down shifting and screaming the whole time but never lost control AND didn't hit the dumb SOB. Of Course I had to change my underwear......:shocked:

i think it sucks to be that dude. I wonder if, by laying it down intentionally, he will be determined to be at fault in the crash?

Back