try to always leave yourself an out

pbghost

Registered
another sad case of wrong time, wrong place, no lid...and yes, a helmet would've saved him in this case.

SHERMAN, TX -- An accident in Sherman this afternoon left one man dead, another in jail, and Northbound U.S. Highway 75 shut down for nearly two hours.

Police say around 12:30 p.m. Thursday a semi headed northbound near Bearcat Stadium in the right hand lane moved left. A motorcyclist, 22-year-old John David Cox, of Denison, was already in that lane. Cox was forced into the guardrail before he was ejected from the bike. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of that semi truck, 46-year-old James Edward Cornelious, of Arkansas, was arrested and booked into the Grayson County Jail charged with criminally negligent homicide resulting from an unsafe lane change.

Northbound U.S. Highway 75 reopened around 2:30 p.m.

Police say Cox was not wearing a helmet.

another sad case of wrong time, wrong place, no lid...and yes, a helmet would've saved him in this case.

SHERMAN, TX -- An accident in Sherman this afternoon left one man dead, another in jail, and Northbound U.S. Highway 75 shut down for nearly two hours.

Police say around 12:30 p.m. Thursday a semi headed northbound near Bearcat Stadium in the right hand lane moved left. A motorcyclist, 22-year-old John David Cox, of Denison, was already in that lane. Cox was forced into the guardrail before he was ejected from the bike. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of that semi truck, 46-year-old James Edward Cornelious, of Arkansas, was arrested and booked into the Grayson County Jail charged with criminally negligent homicide resulting from an unsafe lane change.

Northbound U.S. Highway 75 reopened around 2:30 p.m.

Police say Cox was not wearing a helmet.

RIP. Thanks to the police for actually charging the driver of the vehicle for once....

That really sucks. I think its happened to just about everyone that rides at one time or another.

This was a REAL big story around NYC for a while, and just blew everyones mind. There was a small memorial at the crash site for a few months, but like everything else, eventually people moved on, and it seems like it was forgotten, but I always say a quick prayer when I pass that point on the bridge:

Motorcycle driver thrown off Williamsburg Bridge.
May 6, 2006

Leonard Beckett loved his wife, their five daughters and the six foster children they cared for in their Queens home.

Beckett, 38, a maintenance man at Rochdale Village, also loved motorcycles, especially the Kawasaki ZX12 he bought three years ago -- the one he was riding when killed on the Williamsburg Bridge Thursday.

Beckett was riding his Kawasaki in the bridge's right lane when he rear-ended a livery town car in slow-moving traffic, police said. Beckett flew over the handlebars and careen off the car's back windshield, over a low wall and into the river.

Beckett was pronounced dead after police recovered his body about 45 minutes after the accident, which happened around 10 p.m.

An autopsy performed Friday found that he died of a blunt-impact injury and his death was ruled an accident, according to Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the city medical examiner's office.

Beckett and his wife, Veronica, who he married in 1989, had five daughters, ages 9 to 16, and six foster children, ages 1 to 19, Lesia Beckett said.

Robert Miller, 39, said he and Beckett, his lifelong friend, had been riding their motorcycles for several hours before the accident. They started on 189th Street, rode along the Southern State Parkway through Long Island, then back to Queens before heading through Brooklyn on their way to Greenwich Village, Miller said.

Miller, a contractor, said there was "a lot of traffic" on the bridge and that he and Beckett were not going fast. Miller said he and his friend helped form a motorcycle club, Southside Renegades, a couple of years ago.

At every club party, barbecue or community service project, "anywhere you go, he would make people laugh," Miller said.

Sad stories for sure.

One more reason to wear your gear. Yes very sad for the loss of a fellow rider. Who knows maybe he would still be with us if he wore his helmet....... May he rest in peace.

Very sad, When I read things like this I wonder why motorcycle awareness can't be part of the driver license program.

This same thing almost happened to me yesterday, but instead of a semi it was a Jaguar S Type. Lucky for me I just happened to see it in time as I was boxed in the inside lane passing stopped cars to my left in the turning lane with two other vehicles in front and behind me. The S Type began coming over so I started kicking the drivers side door causing some serious dents, but the driver looked over and saw me and i guess realized he almost killed a motorcyclist.

The blind spot at the side of any vehicle is a killzone.. I do everything possible to stay out of that zone.

very sad and r.i.p. to the rider! i never pace with a semi for this very reason cause' there are too many blind spots.

The blind spot at the side of any vehicle is a killzone.. I do everything possible to stay out of that zone.

I believe that this is one the most important aspects of highway riding. A truck can lose a car in it's blind spot, so imagine how hard it is to keep track of a bike. Stay safe; stay out of the blind spot.

Very sad, When I read things like this I wonder why motorcycle awareness can't be part of the driver license program.

in the Texas CDL liscence study book motorcycle awareness is stated in there.

I think it could be if enough of us got together and pushed it through congress

For quite a while now I've thoght that it would make huge difference if EVERY driver of anything with more than two wheels had to first spend one year riding a two-wheeled vehicle (or being a passenger on one). Most drivers who don't ride simply don't seem to understand how dangerous they can make the roads for two-wheelers. If they had to spend a year on two-wheels, I'll be most drivers would "get it" and put a lot more effort into driving more safely. Especially since they'd know that at some point, all of their driving family members would be on two-wheels and at the mercy of poor drivers/driving.

"TRY" to leave yourself an out? There is no TRY, leaving yourself an out, staying OUT of and predicting where the the bad spots or situations are going to develop is part of Motorcycling 101.

If you find yourself always getting caught out, or having to take dramatic action, you're doing it wrong. :thumbsup:

Back