Wear a Helmet

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Motorcyclist killed Wednesday on Pine Road

Star-Banner

Published: Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:41 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:43 a.m.
SILVER SPRINGS SHORES - A motorcyclist was killed on Pine Road at Midway Terrace on Wednesday evening when an oncoming truck made a left turn in front of the bike, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

Wayne Horan, 43, of Ocala, was killed.

According to the FHP, Horan was driving 2003 Harley-Davidson motorcycle northbound on Pine Road at about 8:15 p.m. when the crash occurred.

Charles E. Long, 52, of Ocala, turned a 2007 GMC pickup truck in front of Horan, who tried to take evasive action, according to the report. The motorcycle slammed into the side of the truck, and Horan, who was not wearing a helmet, was ejected onto the roadway.

He was pronounced dead at Munroe Regional Medical Center at 10:06 p.m.

Long was not injured.

:banghead:

I've worked quite a few of these type incidents over the past years in my line of work. Here in IL we do not have a helmet law and I agree that it should be the choice of the rider to wear or not to wear. Just part of natural selection, if you aren't smart enough to put the lid on nature may take its course.

Many of the fatal head injuries which I have seen would have most likely been prevented if the rider had worn a helmet, we will never know for sure. I will also add that I have NEVER had to remove a helmet from a dead body. That's not saying the helmet will save you every time but it greatly increases the odds.

Thoughts and prayers to this rider and his family

Happens a lot here too. Big % of the unfortunates seem to be the Harley, fake (not DOT approved), half helmet bunch.
I rode back when there really wasn't any full face helmets. Old Bell open face with a snap-on face shield was the best it got.
Now with the luxury of a modern Shoei or Arai full face helmet, I just can't understand why people put up with the wind noise and constant bombardment of bugs, not to mention the risk, just to put on some "bad a**" pose.
RIP biker dude.

Happens a lot here too. Big % of the unfortunates seem to be the Harley, fake (not DOT approved), half helmet bunch.
I rode back when there really wasn't any full face helmets. Old Bell open face with a snap-on face shield was the best it got.
Now with the luxury of a modern Shoei or Arai full face helmet, I just can't understand why people put up with the wind noise and constant bombardment of bugs, not to mention the risk, just to put on some "bad a**" pose.
RIP biker dude.

Yes, I just shake my head when I see a rider on a cool day wearing a bandana ofver his face. Talk about clueless! Not only does that look stupid, it IS stupid. :poke: Get a helmet dude!

same people would not have insurance on anything if there were no laws to force them.
Helmet is a cheap life insurance policy.

same people would not have insurance on anything if there were no laws to force them.
Helmet is a cheap life insurance policy.

Not true.

Insurance became mandatory yet people still operate a motor vehicle without it.

You and me pay. Still.

r8

Here in IL we do not have a helmet law and I agree that it should be the choice of the rider to wear or not to wear. Just part of natural selection, if you aren't smart enough to put the lid on nature may take its course.

I would tend to agree - EXCEPT - when that rider squashes his brains that could have been prevented if he'd been wearing a lid - it's my tax dollars that keep him alive for years hooked up to a ventilator.

I see some states (TN) trying to repeal the mandatory helmet law. I say no way as I know who will be paying for others mistakes!

I Still Don't Get the Oncoming Left Hand turn thing............How do You Not See an Object, With a Headlight Coming Towards You in the Opposite Lane ? Then Choose to Turn in Front of It........... :dunno: There Really Needs to be More Driver Education Towards this Subject :rulez:

RIP: Fellow Rider :down:

helmet saved my life......just had skin grafts for the 3rd degree burrns from the road rash....wear a jacket too

Was just thinking about this helmet thing today while riding(with helmet).

Anyways was thinking of peeps wearing shades with the visor up. If you do make sure you have decent shades on. You temples are right there and think of how an impact with them on will be effected.

Be safe.

My helmet saved my life 6 years ago. Hey its freedom of choice for the other riders. Funeral directors and morticians need to support their family too. What sucks for some is good business for others.

What more can we say about wearing helmets that hasn't already been said????It doesn't matter if it's a Harley rider or a Sport Bike rider, if they're not wearing a lid it's because they are too cool.:whistle: They can make up a million other reasons but it all comes down to image.:moon:

Back