Grooves in Rear Axle

TreyYoung

Registered
Changed my rear tire Saturday, and I felt slight grooves in the rear axle (close to the threaded side). With 13k miles, is that normal wear & tear? If not, what would have caused this? The bearings seem fine. Should I order a new Axle now?

I have felt same Trey and have been told this is normal. I am monitoring and have a full set of bearings and spare axle on hand just in case.

Concur with skydivr..... it is normal.

That is to say: some amount of small grooves are normal.

I would just keep an eye on them during your rear tire changes in order to see any further substantial changes. Should the grooves become more pronounced, then further investigation is indicated.

Trey, I'd hold off for now unless you think they are BAAD. Honda East Justin, when the time comes, can have them in your hands in about 3 days..

How deep are the grooves? The axle wiill show wear marks discoloration but if your feeling grooves I would replace the axle and seals. How deep would you say the grooves are?
I have wear marks by seeing the different tones of metal but smooth all throughout the axle @ 12K

Are you cleaning everything axle, brake caliper, bushings seals, bearings to where you would eat off of it and properly lubing it when putting it back together?

Break cleaner clean lint free rags and approved grease??

Donn, next time I've got mine off I'll show you what mine looks like...

How deep are the grooves? The axle wiill show wear marks discoloration but if your feeling grooves I would replace the axle and seals. How deep would you say the grooves are?
I have wear marks by seeing the different tones of metal but smooth all throughout the axle @ 12K

Are you cleaning everything axle, brake caliper, bushings seals, bearings to where you would eat off of it and properly lubing it when putting it back together?

Break cleaner clean lint free rags and approved grease??
Lubing with axle grease, but wiping things down with fine clean cloth, but probably not lint free. And no, pretty sure it is not clean enough to eat off of. Not sure about the depth of the groove, but you can surely feel them... Donn, I am hiring you next time around.

Whole bike is Fd! Better send it to me for proper disposal. I will have to charge you a fee though :)

Doesn't sound too serious?

Back