Rear axle ...

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Long story short, I've seen people simply slide the rear axle back in when mounting the rear tire. I just swapped out my sprockets but had to beat it back in. I greased it up before placing it back in, I got it all lined up with the little notches, and have proper chain slack but the difficulty of re-installing the rear axle is nagging me.

Is it normally difficult to get it back in? It slid up to where the threads in the axle where in the brake caliper, but it became stiff right there.

Clean it up good with steel wool, then grease it up!

Clean it up good with steel wool, then grease it up!
Didn't clean it, but I did grease it.
blush.gif

Lift the tire / wheel slightly, it's sagging on the one side.....

Lift the tire / wheel slightly, it's sagging on the one side.....
I got it all put back together, its just the difficulty has me nervous. I found this video which says the caliper has a guide (R1). Does the Busa have one also? If it does, thats what I did wrong. I just lined up the holes and passed the axle through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quit crying like a beyyyotch and put it in there, Playa.
laugh.gif
J/k

Mine was a little tight, but as soon as I knew it was all lined up, a gentle tap with a big hammer pushed it right through. Keep in mind that I could see the axle bolt through the other side.

What was a b*tch was compressing the sprocket assembly on the cushions to allow the rear brake to slide up in there too. But I did get it done
thumb_up.gif

Mine was a little tight, but as soon as I knew it was all lined up, a gentle tap with a big hammer pushed it right through. Keep in mind that I could see the axle bolt through the other side.

What was a b*tch was compressing the sprocket assembly on the cushions to allow the rear brake to slide up in there too. But I did get it done  
thumb_up.gif
I noticed you said ~A~ "gentle" tap. I had to WHACK it about 5 good times. Kinda like ...
deadhorse.gif

Most bikes I've owned behaved the way you described if the tire was hanging on the axle while inserting through all the holes. As long as all your ducks are in row (sprocket, caliper, chain tensioners, etc.) once it's in, you should be fine. If the wheel spins like normal when you are done it was probably just the weight of the wheel while you were installing. And like above, always clean then re-lube.  
hello.gif

I never get it in there easy. I just keep monkeying with it until finally it just slips right in. Never have to beat it in, but it can be a bear. I don't have a good trick yet.

--Wag--

My question has to be, "How did it come out
rock.gif
?"......if it came out smooth and easy, it's an alignment issue. If it came out the same way, you got a bent axle shaft, or it's plain dirty and there's grit somewhere......

Back