Government Shutdown?

There are millions of people across the country that don't have insurance, the penalty for being caught is what, a $200.00 ticket? your license gets suspended, assuming you have one...

I don't understand your point on this one! Just because millions of people don't have car insurance doesn't negate the fact that you have to have it. A 200 ticket to some hurts a lot, and losing your license can be extremely detrimental if you have to drive to work and you cant and as a result you lose your job. The fact that they do it anyway is irrelevant.. get caught with out a license a few times then you go to jail. That's a pretty stiff penalty. Then who is going to support this fool while he is in jail? We are.

yep, im at work for free today. must be here, however i wont get paid for it. I will if they ever get this resolved. till then my retirement is on hold and health ins will expire. There was a republican on mpn news this morning saying how enightening and exciting this process has been for the house and senate. he was just as happy as a lark this morning. what a prick. no thought whatsoever for the 800,000 people that will be home without pay. some people in our office are home indefinately w/o pay. GRRRRRR! I cant wait till elections, even though voting in my state will not matter.

Disagree

Fire them all and "we as the people" need to rebuild it better

Agree

But seriously this is just a circus created for the 2014 elections

yep, im at work for free today. must be here, however i wont get paid for it. I will if they ever get this resolved. till then my retirement is on hold and health ins will expire. There was a republican on mpn news this morning saying how enightening and exciting this process has been for the house and senate. he was just as happy as a lark this morning. what a prick. no thought whatsoever for the 800,000 people that will be home without pay. some people in our office are home indefinately w/o pay. GRRRRRR! I cant wait till elections, even though voting in my state will not matter.

Are you kidding me. The republicans are to blame for this hands down. Why do the have to debate the affordable care act along with the budget. Why can they just pass
or not pass one item at a time. The affordable care act passed as law..if you don't like the law then repeal it. You can't just ignore it or break it just because you don't like it. Believe me there are many laws on the books that you and I don't like but we can't just break the law. the repucs are holding the nation hostage over an issue that they just don't like. that's Bull. Console all the people who are going home today with out pay. see how much damage this is going to do to the economy. I agree that congress should not get any exemptions along with the Corps and Unions but to totally unfund (just because you don't agree with it) the law is ridiculous. The president was reelected, the affordable care act was put into law by congress so let's get over it.
Seriously dude, you can damage President Obama's economy , really

Hey man, your distinction between a law and a tax is foolhardy. It was voted into law and the Supreme Court ruled that one aspect - the individual mandate - stands as a tax. But the tax aspect is enforced by the law that says you have to have insurance. The terms aren't mutually exclusive, and the ACA is broad.

Beyond that, you're clearly hanging around in the Conservative bloggosphere with your Rush live feed window in the background. There is no negotiation to have. The ACA is law (see above). It's not up for negotiating. Obama ran on the ACA last year, and Romney ran against it, and Obama won. At that point, Boehner said the issue was settled. The House used each of the issues you mentioned - medical device tax, ACA exemptions - as a way to make guys like you think they were serious. The fact is, their job inthis situation is to keep the government running, and in two weeks their job will be to agree to raise the debt limit so that the credit of the United States remains strong and we remain a country that pays its debts. The United States does not negotiate with terrorists. Do you think that if Obama is willing to negotiate with the President of Iran, then maybe he's not the guy unwilling to negotiate? These aren't real negotiations, though. They're ploys on the part of certain members of the House to please their far-right constituents. It's like if you bought some property and I, as your new neighbor, made a claim to it, and so we took it to the courts and they sided with you, but then the next year I came back and said I would be fine with things if you would just give up half of your property, and if you didn't, I would get you fired - even if it meant I lost my job, too. Would you be wrong to not negotiate, then?
I don't know a darn thing about it, just like congress, but they know enough about it that they opted out with their employees and the Unions that pushed it are opting out too. That tells me this thing is gonna kill what's left of the middle class.

I just wanna know who's gonna pick up my fricking garbage?
Came home to find it still on the curb :(

There is no way it's sustainable - period. It will eventually tax employers and individuals out of any profit they may ever create, all to go to the government who have proven time and time again they are abject failures at managing the peoples money (if $16 Trillion in debt doesn't prove it, I don't know what will)...

SCOTUS ruled that it was a TAX; yet they cannot rule on the constitutionality of a TAX until the TAX is actually in place. So all is not lost; I suspect people have been waiting for the day the tax is in place to file another suit...I sure hope so...

P.S. All government employees are really getting a forced, PAID vacation, as they get all their back pay IN FULL once this is dealt with, always have...

I just think people are making a lot of assumptions based on the rhetoric that has been pumped out, I saw a poll some where that a large percentage of people were against "Obama Care" but those same people were for "The affordable health care act" yeah I know its the same thing, but the spin machine had been pumping so much Obama hate people ignored that little fact.

I've said it before take a look at how Mass is doing, this is pretty much identical to their state health care that has been up and running for 7 years and was the basis for the national one. I just read an article and checked some of it it seems as if they are doing just fine. Lets give it a chance to work. Is there anyone on here from Mass that thinks this was a bad ideal?

Lessons For The Obamacare Rollout, Courtesy Of Massachusetts : Shots - Health News : NPR

Today marks a milestone on the nation's long march toward universal health coverage: the launch of online marketplaces, called exchanges, designed to help people find insurance they can afford.

It's an idea pioneered by Massachusetts seven years ago. People here call their program a success, and say the state's exchange was an indispensable factor.

Those involved since the beginning say the Massachusetts health insurance exchange, called the Connector, was the brainchild of former Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican.

Glen Shor, who once ran the Connector and is now the state's secretary of administration and finance, is confident that the nation will follow Massachusetts' lead.

"As the [federal] law begins to be implemented," Shor says, "people will see and feel its positive effects. They'll be able to see through some of the rhetoric and spin."

Romney's Mission: Massachusetts Health Care
When the Connector opened for business in late 2006, people signed up much faster than projected. Within a year there were 367,000 newly insured citizens.

"Enrollment was fast," Shor says. "One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance."

Today, 97 percent of the state's 6.6 million people have it — the highest coverage rate of anywhere in America.

And Shor says Obamacare will bring another 45,000 new people into the fold — those working in low-wage jobs who will qualify for an expansion of MassHealth, the state's Medicaid program.

That group represents "roughly a quarter of the remaining uninsured," says Shor. "A big deal."

Thousands more will become eligible for premium subsidies because they make under $46,000 a year (for an individual) or $94,000 (for a family of four). That will bring Massachusetts pretty close to advocates' longtime dream of universal coverage.

I just think people are making a lot of assumptions based on the rhetoric that has been pumped out, I saw a poll some where that a large percentage of people were against "Obama Care" but those same people were for "The affordable health care act" yeah I know its the same thing, but the spin machine had been pumping so much Obama hate people ignored that little fact.

I've said it before take a look at how Mass is doing, this is pretty much identical to their state health care that has been up and running for 7 years and was the basis for the national one. I just read an article and checked some of it it seems as if they are doing just fine. Lets give it a chance to work. Is there anyone on here from Mass that thinks this was a bad ideal?

Today marks a milestone on the nation's long march toward universal health coverage: the launch of online marketplaces, called exchanges, designed to help people find insurance they can afford.

It's an idea pioneered by Massachusetts seven years ago. People here call their program a success, and say the state's exchange was an indispensable factor.

Those involved since the beginning say the Massachusetts health insurance exchange, called the Connector, was the brainchild of former Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican.

Glen Shor, who once ran the Connector and is now the state's secretary of administration and finance, is confident that the nation will follow Massachusetts' lead.

"As the [federal] law begins to be implemented," Shor says, "people will see and feel its positive effects. They'll be able to see through some of the rhetoric and spin."

Romney's Mission: Massachusetts Health Care
When the Connector opened for business in late 2006, people signed up much faster than projected. Within a year there were 367,000 newly insured citizens.

"Enrollment was fast," Shor says. "One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance."

Today, 97 percent of the state's 6.6 million people have it — the highest coverage rate of anywhere in America.

And Shor says Obamacare will bring another 45,000 new people into the fold — those working in low-wage jobs who will qualify for an expansion of MassHealth, the state's Medicaid program.

That group represents "roughly a quarter of the remaining uninsured," says Shor. "A big deal."

Thousands more will become eligible for premium subsidies because they make under $46,000 a year (for an individual) or $94,000 (for a family of four). That will bring Massachusetts pretty close to advocates' longtime dream of universal coverage.

Tell me how many pages make up that solution..... I bet its less than 20,000 pages of nonsense

Last edited:
P.S. All government employees are really getting a forced, PAID vacation, as they get all their back pay IN FULL once this is dealt with, always have...
I guess they still owe me for 6 days from a couple months back then. I really don't see getting that back. The worst part is they could have spread them over 6 months instead of. 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I don't understand your point on this one! Just because millions of people don't have car insurance doesn't negate the fact that you have to have it. A 200 ticket to some hurts a lot, and losing your license can be extremely detrimental if you have to drive to work and you cant and as a result you lose your job. The fact that they do it anyway is irrelevant.. get caught with out a license a few times then you go to jail. That's a pretty stiff penalty. Then who is going to support this fool while he is in jail? We are.

So let's just lay this out there, I think we are closer on this than you think....

In the example of car insurance you or I absolutely have insurance, not just any insurance we look for the best to protect to cover us in case there is an accident, heck we even get more than the minimum to cover others we might hit... We drive cautiously because we are concerned for others and we want to do the right things, we keep our license current because we have a responsibility to do so, even though it cost money and time to do this and we probably won't have to show it to LEO it's what we do... However, how many people drive without a license or insurance, they aren't concerned with themselves or others, they don't care what the law says. If they get caught they get a ticket that they aren't going to pay and I assure you they will not go to jail. There is no accountability for these folks, you can't sue them because they don't have anything, for them not having insurance just means more money to spend, they drive a POS so replacing a POS is cheaper than buying insurance. These are the same people that want healthcare, it's a game to them to see what they can get for free, no responsibility, no accountability no repercussions...

cap

Being an active duty service member I'm not really feeling the effects from this shutdown since we are an exception. however my family is feeling the hurt. My wife is a federal civilian employee and she makes almost half of our combined yearly income. So it's business as usual for our 7wk old son but spam and rice for mom and dad. Bills got to be paid so we make sacrifices. Politicians make me sick.

So far I haven't seen anything that is Constitutionally mandated shut down. As far as I am concerned too much of the government is still operating.

Being an active duty service member I'm not really feeling the effects from this shutdown since we are an exception. however my family is feeling the hurt. My wife is a federal civilian employee and she makes almost half of our combined yearly income. So it's business as usual for our 7wk old son but spam and rice for mom and dad. Bills got to be paid so we make sacrifices. Politicians make me sick.

Thanks for your service and continued sacrifices...

a.jpg

I look at this way a majority of the people don't want Obama care it was forced down our throats. The GOP is doing what the majority and I want stop Obama care. That's what congress is supposed to do represent the people. Obama wants it in because it has his name on it. I said it before an I'll say it again what the He(( did he do or run before becoming president. NOTHING he didn't even serve a full term in congress. I feel sorry for my kids the election in the future will all be decided by people who want something for nothing and are as dumb as a box of rocks! Who want to suck off the rest of the working people like leaches.

I hate to say it but you are obviously in a non essential government job and therefore on furlough. To be honest as our country is 17 trillion dollars in debt, printing money and devaluing the currency and about to raise the spending limit again, I think its a wake up call and alot of these non essential jobs should be trimmed or cut entirely. Im not trying to be harsh and I understand that it's your job and lifestyle at risk but we obviously cannot sustain this bloated government and the spending that goes with it. The fact that a public servant (government employee) makes nearly twice the salary as a private person in the same type of occupation and your retirement and benefits are way better than most private sector jobs is a case in point. We need a constitutional reset. By the way as a government worker your paid 2 weeks behind so your check will still come after 2 weeks and you will get paid for the furlough time anyway when the budget gets passed.

Some frikken racket.

I hate to say it but you are obviously in a non essential government job and therefore on furlough. To be honest as our country is 17 trillion dollars in debt, printing money and devaluing the currency and about to raise the spending limit again, I think its a wake up call and alot of these non essential jobs should be trimmed or cut entirely. Im not trying to be harsh and I understand that it's your job and lifestyle at risk but we obviously cannot sustain this bloated government and the spending that goes with it. The fact that a public servant (government employee) makes nearly twice the salary as a private person in the same type of occupation and your retirement and benefits are way better than most private sector jobs is a case in point. We need a constitutional reset. By the way as a government worker your paid 2 weeks behind so your check will still come after 2 weeks and you will get paid for the furlough time anyway when the budget gets passed.

ohhhh dont get me started....because no matter what i think....im wrong.

Back