Got a kick out of this part of a CNN article

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So I get that times are tough but you would think that a news agency could find a few people that are suffering a little more missing a poker game or the parks closed.. I just can't believe that a single mom who is getting a check would need to call the state for a crisis.... I just don't get it...

Minnesota residents suffer in government shutdown

By Tami Luhby @CNNMoney July 1, 2011: 6:12 PM ET

The Minnesota government shutdown means Cherise Payton can't turn to her caseworkers if there is a crisis in her family.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Minnesota residents are far from pleased about their state's government shutdown.

For some, it means no fun in sun during the warm holiday weekend since the state parks and zoo are closed. For others, it means no job since more than 20,000 state employees were laid off. And for still others, it means no safety net since caseworkers aren't answering their phones.

All but essential state government services ceased on Friday after Governor Mark Dayton and Republican lawmakers failed to resolve their budget dispute before the new fiscal year began.

The governor wants to close the $3.6 billion budget shortfall by raising taxes on the wealthiest 1.9% of Minnesotans. Republicans want to limit spending.

But it's Minnesotans like Virginia Becker who are feeling the impact. The Minnetonka resident won't be able to continue to her twice-weekly poker game at Canterbury Park race track. The shutdown means thousands of people are out of a job or out of luck if they wanted to go to the track during the busy holiday weekend, she said.

"It's a beautiful facility where thousands of people enjoy the short summer in Minnesota and now it's closed," Becker said. "It's the worst weekend it could have happened."

The state shutdown also ruined Becker's daughter's plans. She was supposed to camp in one of Minnesota's parks over the weekend, but will now stay home since the parks are all closed.

For Cherise Payton, the shutdown could have been much worse. The single mother who was recently homeless feared that she would not receive state aid to pay her rent. She learned Friday that she would get her check over the weekend, but she's still on edge because she cannot reach her state caseworkers.

"If a crisis comes up, who do I call?" said Payton, who lives in Duluth with her three teenagers.

Yeah, not being able to gamble away all that extra $ burning a hole in your pocket.
Or to freely go camping on a whim over the weekend.
Wow did not realize how rough it really was out there for some people . . . ???

Glad to see the Republicans are trying to do the right thing. I hope they stay strong..

Robin Hood economics doesn't work. Punishing success isn't going to get the economy recovering. Government needs to build an environment where businesses are not afraid to hire. Getting out of the economic mess isn't going to be easy. The decades of giving people something for nothing has driven the US to the verge of bankruptcy. JFK said it 50 years ago. "Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country."

If the zoo is closed who's feeding the animals? And if there is people there feeding the animals why not keep it open and let folks pay to go inside? Doesn't seem to make sense?
The zoo here my son and I love to go to. You pay and walk thru like a jungle path seeing all animals and never really encounter anyone so why not just let people continue to go. Also doesn't make sense to close a huge state park that only requires a couple rangers to work?
Have any of the politicians felt this pinch? Have they voluntarily taken large paycuts to help? Were any state congressman laid off temporarily? Do they really need all of them to do nothing since the govt shutdown? Most likely not on all. It's still the greedy hurting the poor so they can stay rich. Politicians need to be on a more military pay plan. We take care of everything, food clothing and shelter and pay them very little. It needs to be more of a public service again instead of self service.

(no insult to real military personel as I think these, teachers and police should have a minimum $100k a yr)

"If a crisis comes up, who do I call?" said Payton, who lives in Duluth with her three teenagers.

Here is a thought.....Be a parent you leach! Stop depending on the government to provide for your every need. God I hate these people:moon:

Here is a thought.....Be a parent you leach! Stop depending on the government to provide for your every need. God I hate these people:moon:

Around here they call 911, my seven year old won't go to bed :laugh:

Back