This makes me sick

This is why guns are so important. They are an equalizer. A small woman or even a small man will not be able to overcome a larger attacker just with physical defense. It takes years to develop the necessary martial arts skill to overcome a larger attacker or multiple attackers.

A gun, however, can be practically learned in a few sessions and even a small pistol can deter a criminal or get rid of him in short order.

My heart goes out to the families of such victims.

Remember the movie/book, "A Time to Kill." I think that's justice, right there.

--Wag--

so sad...prayers sent...here's another one that hit just a little while ago...i just don't understand what is wrong with these POS
guns.gif

BLOOMFIELD, Connecticut (CNN) -- A 15-year-old girl who had been missing for nearly a year was found Wednesday, locked in a small hidden room under a staircase in a West Hartford, Connecticut, home, police said.

The discovery was unexpected, but "of great relief to investigators, who feared the worst based on the evidence compiled to date," Capt. Jeffrey L. Blatter of the Bloomfield, Connecticut, Police Department said in a written statement.

At an afternoon news conference, Blatter refused to identify the girl, who he said had been missing since June 16, 2006.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children lists a Danielle Erica Cramer, 15, as missing from Bloomfield, Connecticut, since June 14, 2006.

Three people were arrested: Adam Gault, 41, Ann Murphy, 40, described as Gault's common-law wife, and Kimberly Cray, about whom Blatter had no details. Other arrests are expected, Blatter said.

Gault and Murphy face charges including unlawful restraint, reckless endangerment, custodial interference and risk of injury to a minor.

Gault was being held on $500,000 bond, and Murphy on $100,000 bond.

Authorities said they were not sure the girl -- who they said had a "tough" life involving drug use and had a history of running away from home -- was being held against her will. West Hartford police Capt. Lori Coppinger said Gault has had previous involvement with juvenile females, "something very similar to what's going on now with this girl ... inappropriate relationships."

Gault was not charged in the previous cases, however, because "there was some reluctance to have people come forward with information," she said.

Gault was a business associate of the girl's family, and she may have considered him a friend, Blatter said. "There's a question as to what her relationship was with this 40-year-old to start with."

He pointed out, however, that it would be easy for an older man to interfere with a teenager's thinking.

"We can all assume that a 14-year-old under the influence of a 40-year-old was harmed in some way," Blatter said.

Gault, who police said runs his own animal-training business, had been interviewed several times in connection with the girl's disappearance, and had denied involvement, Blatter said, although he was still considered a suspect.

Police would not say whether Gault and Murphy were cooperating with the investigation. Another child, a 15-year-old boy, lived in the house and was placed in the custody of child welfare workers, authorities said.

The girl was being evaluated by medical personnel, Blatter said, and authorities including child welfare workers would determine the best placement for her. "She is physically OK," he said. (Watch officer describe girl's recovery )

A large contingent of police arrived at the home in West Hartford about 9:30 a.m. ET Wednesday to serve two search warrants in the girl's disappearance: one for a DNA swab and the other for evidence in the case, Blatter said.

Despite the girl's history of running away, he said, investigators had found "bits and pieces of information that suggested foul play," and authorities were afraid the girl had been the victim of a homicide.

While police were at the house, an investigator pushed a large dresser aside and found the small locked room, police said. Blatter described it as a closet. The girl was seated inside, but there was no evidence, such as bedding, to suggest that was where she had been kept, police said. Investigators at the scene noted she was pale and wondered whether she had seen any sunlight, Blatter said.

Things found in the home, however, would not suggest that a 14-year-old would have found a safe, comfortable environment, he said, but would not elaborate.

(05 Busa LE @ Jun. 06 2007,14:57) I just saw this on CNN.com, and it makes me sick:

"OVERLAND PARK, Kansas (AP) -- Police say they believe they have found the body of a teenager who disappeared four days ago after apparently being abducted from a department store parking lot.

Police Chief John Douglass said the body was found across the state line at a Grandview, Missouri, lake. Positive identification was pending, but authorities believed it was Kelsey Smith, 18. Police said volunteer searchers could stop their work.

Smith has been missing since late Saturday, when she was apparently abducted from the parking lot of a Target store in suburban Kansas City.

Investigators had isolated two signals from Smith's cell phone to an area about 15 miles east of the store."

Honestly, I think we need to pay for more officers to patrol our streets, and more cameras, to protect our innocent kids.  I wouldn't hesitate to pay more in taxes if the government promised me that the money would go directly for this purpose.  

Prayers for her (Kelsey Smith) and her family, from Overland Park, Kansas.
Yep, my mom was just talking about it earlier, THIS IS WEIRD!
sad.gif

We need to have prayers for the family...I hope their okay.
sad.gif

sad.gif

(05 Busa LE @ Jun. 06 2007,15:10)
(Gunnybusa @ Jun. 06 2007,18:05)
(05 Busa LE @ Jun. 06 2007,15:03)
(Gunnybusa @ Jun. 06 2007,18:01) Wow magic ! That text wasnt there a moment ago
Sorry ... forgot to put in part of the article.  Really sad.
Yes it is and the scum that do these kinds of things need to be eradicated.
You said it.  I can't imagine the pain that the family is going through, and the terror that she faced.  

More police and more cameras ... if you're not doing anything wrong, then you don't have anything to worry about.
+1

We were glued to the TV at work - I work in Overland Park, KS. The Target where this started is about 10 mins from my office. Her Dad is a Security Officer at a local College - I'm a part-time instructor there. Needless to say, the mood was very sad.

Thoughts and prayers out to her family. No one should ever have to go thru something like this...
sad.gif

While more cops and cameras are deffinately needed truth is we show up after the crime has already happened in most instances. I'm all for people getting their CCL and protecting themselves as well as others. I also think courts need to be tougher on the criminals and not the law abiding citizen.

Courts H***, Those sick POS'S
guns.gif
firedevil.gif
should be dealt with by family members and save all tax payers the money from TRIAL and INCARCERATION !!!

Local news just announced that there's gonna be an unscheduled press announcement from the OP Police @ 11:15pm CDT. Stay tuned...

Sickening, just literally sickening.  I have two daughters and love them dearly and I can't imagine losing them to some sick, perverted, monster.  It's enough to make even me cry.  Prayers to her family
sad.gif

(omslaw @ Jun. 06 2007,22:28) Local news just announced that there's gonna be an unscheduled press announcement from the OP Police @ 11:15pm CDT.  Stay tuned...
Overland Park Police have arrested a 26-y/o male and charged him with Aggravated Kidnapping and Premeditated First Degree Murder. The Johnson County (where OP is) District Attorney will be officially filing the charges first thing in the morning.

Police arrest suspect in missing teen case
POSTED: 3:12 a.m. EDT, June 7, 2007
update:

Story Highlights• NEW: Police arrest man in connection with death of Kansas teenager
• NEW: Charges to be filed on Thursday against suspect, authorities say
• Body found across state line in Missouri, police say
• Recent high school grad Kelsey Smith, 18, has been missing since Saturday night

Adjust font size:
(CNN) -- Police arrested a man in the abduction and death of a Kansas teenager who disappeared four days ago from a store parking lot, authorities said late Wednesday.

Charges will be filed Thursday against Edwin Hall, 26, for pre-meditated first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping, said Johnson County District Attorney Phill Kline. Authorities will ask for Hall to be held on a $5 million bond, Kline said.

Hall, from Olathe, Kansas, would face 25 years to life in prison on the murder charge and at least 12 years on the aggravated kidnapping charge, Kline told reporters at a news conference late Wednesday.

Hall is expected to make his first court appearance on Thursday or Friday.

"The community has lost a vibrant and promising life, and the family has suffered an unimaginable tragedy," Kline said, hours after police located the body of a teenager across the border in Missouri.

Positive identification was pending, but police believe it is 18-year-old Kelsey Smith, who has been missing since Saturday. (Watch police describe the next steps in the investigation )

"I realize this is not the preferred conclusion," Overland Park Police Chief John Douglass said. "While we cannot give (the Smith family) their daughter back, we can at least give them justice."

The police chief said Hall's Wednesday arrest "was the result of an intense investigation over the last four days."

Hall was considered a "person of interest" after one of the more than 500 tips given to authorities detailed an individual matching the description of a man caught by surveillance cameras in the department store parking lot. (Watch surveillance video released by police )

"When we saw the videotape he came right behind her from the parking lot and it appeared he followed her there," Douglass said of Smith's apparent abduction.

Videotape released by police earlier in the week shows Smith entering and leaving the store. Other footage shows a young man with a goatee leaving the store shortly after she exited.

Later, a woman who appears to be Smith can be seen putting packages into her car when someone runs toward her and shoves her in the car. The car then pulls away.

"The person we believe who was the person of interest leaving the Target store was Hall," Douglass said. "We have located the truck we believe matched the description."

Police interviewed Hall, along with "numerous individuals," on Wednesday, deciding afterwards to arrest him, Douglass said.

At the end of the news conference Smith's parents, Missy and Greg Smith, stood to make a short statement together.

While holding his wife's hand, Greg thanked everyone involved in the search, concluding "we are very pleased an arrest has been made in this case. Thank you very much."

They just arrested a convicted sex offender in the case of our missing Santee woman out here. This makes me sick, you're wife, daughter or girl friend could be a victim at any time. Should be legal to arm them all with hand guns. "Protect your women, teach them how to shoot"

Officials Arrest Sex Offender In Missing Woman's Case

KNSD-TV
7:41 p.m. PDT June 6, 2007
SAN DIEGO - Officials have arrested a registered sex offender in connection with the disappearance of a Santee woman, and they say they were led to him through the victim's phone records.
Deputies said that Robert Steven Carson, 40, was arrested on one count of murder in connection with the disappearance of Brittany Monet Hart late Tuesday night.

Hart, 24, is the Santee woman missing since May 24.

San Diego County sheriff?s detectives said Hart?s phone records led them to Carson.

They served a search warrant at Carson's home in the 1300 block of Maria Avenue in Spring Valley around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night. They said evidence obtained in their search ultimately led to Carson?s arrest. Lt. Dennis Brugos said Carson came home as his house was being searched.

Neighbors said Carson had been behaving strangely for the past two weeks. They said he had been asking questions about how to get rid of a car in Mexico, how to dispose of a dog?s carcass, and reportedly came to the door of one neighbor claiming his fiancee had been murdered.

Residents said Carson had lived in the home for almost a year and had a history of bizarre behavior.

Brugos would not detail what evidence was found in the home, but he said there was enough to arrest and charge Carson. Brugos also said police believe at some point Hart was in Carson's house prior to her death.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Brugos conceded that is was possible that Hart was killed at Carson's house and her body was moved after the slaying.

According to the California Megan Law's database, Carson has in the past been convicted of assault with intent to commit rape.

Officials said they have not found Hart's body or her car, a 1998 metallic gray Ford Ranger pickup, but Brugos said, "We don't believe she's alive."

Hart was last seen leaving her house for work in Santee on May 24. She never made it.

Investigators said that family members told them they had never heard of Carson.

Carson is due on court on Friday for an arraignment.

The Sheriff?s Department is urging anyone with information to call the sheriff's department at 858-974-2321 (or after hours at 858-565-5200) or Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.

I can't even imagine what that family is going through. I can only imagine what I would do to the person if it was my daughter. We need to start implementing retributive punishment... If you are caught dead to rights commiting or having committed a violent crime you should not be allowed to breath.

Prayers to that poor girl and her family.
E

Been an incredibly sad story unfolding...I hated to hear the final outcome yesterday
sad.gif

Is it just me or do we lose more and more kids to random acts of violence nowadays? Is the world SO connected now that we all hear about these stories when we didn't before, or have things really gotten bad and escalated?

(VaBusa @ Jun. 07 2007,10:56) Been an incredibly sad story unfolding...I hated to hear the final outcome yesterday
sad.gif

Is it just me or do we lose more and more kids to random acts of violence nowadays?  Is the world SO connected now that we all hear about these stories when we didn't before, or have things really gotten bad and escalated?
Things have really gotten bad and have escalated..

(thrasherfox @ Jun. 07 2007,13:59)
(VaBusa @ Jun. 07 2007,10:56) Been an incredibly sad story unfolding...I hated to hear the final outcome yesterday
sad.gif

Is it just me or do we lose more and more kids to random acts of violence nowadays?  Is the world SO connected now that we all hear about these stories when we didn't before, or have things really gotten bad and escalated?
Things have really gotten bad and have escalated..
That's my fear...I view the world as being full of predators...reason #1 I TALK to my kids often about strangers, talking to me if someone does something they shouldn't, etc...

Anyone with small ones might want to invest a small amt in the "Stranger Safety" video I've purchased...it's great for kids, fun for them, yet they do learn and find ways to determine what to do when faced with predators...

Video Info

Back