gotta ask (Busa Good First Bike?)

I had very limited experince on two wheels when I got my busa in july. It is definatly not a toy. If I had gottin this bike when I was younger, or any sportbike for that matter I would be lucky to be in one peace. I practice the stupid stuff everyday before I get close to the highway on my way to work. emergency braking, swerveing, looking all the way past the coner, all of the little things. In NJ that stuff becomes happens over and over and over again. I will tell the busa is not a good starter bike. Any sport bike is really not a good starter bike. But like anything in life, learn your way around it. If it is a harley or a busa, a moped or even a skateboard doing things that you are not mentally and phissically perpaired to handel you will hurt yourself.This is for anything including scisors, yhea you i know you still run around with them. So for whatevery bike you buy take it slow and it will payoff in the end.

A bus as a first bike? Hmm be carefull ! they can be interesting.just take the time to learn the animal.. then have fun!!

I bought a Busa for my first bike and I love it. I did do the safety class on a 250 to learn. then I went out and bought a my Busa Baby.

My 1st bike and the bike i have now is a busa...yeah i know but im a big guy and i didnt feel comfrotable on them lil bikes....and i been happy every since!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm with Bricklayer. It was my first streetbike also. I'm a big tall guy and the smaller frame bikes just put too much weight on my wrist. I fell in love with the busa in 99 and finally landed my dream in 07. Now i just boosted it with a Velocity stage 1. I love the busa!!!!!!

if u are respondsible and mature then enough said.......those two things along will allow you to know where u are in reality, that meaning if ur ready or capable of twisting that throttle all the way, half way or just a quarter.....if u get one or any bike respect it...years on the dirt and what not are always a great help when goin street, to diff animals but the same in there own world.....good luck!

yea i would start off on a 600 or 750. a busa is alot of responsibility and you can get in trouble real quick with one. the moment you start losing respect for it will bite you in the ass. thats with anything though

I'm 28 and have been street riding for 10 years and on the dirt since I was 8 and I just got my first Busa yesterday. I have to agree with most of the posts here that I would def not get it for your first street bike. Start with something smaller (600 or 750) trust me I waited ten years to get a Busa and I enjoy it so much more having the confidence and experience to handle such an amazing machine!

i didn't read through every post, but i'd have to say the 'busa isn't the best choice for a 1st bike. no "pure" sportbike or hypersport bike is. i went from a ninja 250, to a bandit 1250 (which i'll keep until eternity) then bought my 06 busa. after riding it for a couple of months now, it is the ultimate bike, but NOT ultimate 1st bike.

my wife went from the ninja 250 to the gsx650f. in my mind, if you're familiar with bikes at all, have ridden dirt bike and such, the scatter'd street bike, i'd say the gsx650f is the perfect 1st guy bike. decent power, great handling. for the ladies, its a great bike, but as the female frame is typically smaller than a man, i'd say go with something a tad lighter for the 1st bike. the weight of the 650 can be a little overwhelming if its your first time.

:cheerleader:

Hello all. I've been gone a very long time, but would love to chime in here.

Shout-outs to all my old buds! Just drinking Beam/Coke and thought of this site... and got nostalgic. LOL!

The Busa can be a good first bike. Sure. Not for somebody who has NEVER ridden, though. There might be some brand new riders who can do the Boo but most can't and shouldn't. I rode it after riding a Katana 600 (a bike that was about the same weight). I took roughly 7yrs off the Kat before getting a Busa. I am a small guy, too. I'm 170 on an average day and only 5'10" with shoes on. I could ride the bike and I took it to top speed on a couple days. But, yes, the bike did feel big to me. It's not light. I would have been better on a Gixxer 1k or even a 6k.... but I wanted the best and the bike that could haul balls down a straight. That's what the Busa does best. The 1k is a better bike and always has been, but the Busa has that "awe" about it and is very unique when you see one on the road. The other sportbikes blend in with each other but the Busa stands alone. And that's a part of its appeal.

So... I'm on the fence about the whole "first bike" topic. The bike isn't gonna "buck you off" in 1st or "MAKE" you go 185. It's all up to the rider. I think if a guy is big and wants a sportbike he probably should get a Busa. It's comfortable and will definitely treat you kind.

I ended up dumping my ultra groovy Busa after a few bad crashes in LA and Atlanta... so my time had come to end the relationship. I loved the bike very much. Nothing compares to sitting on the beast and just jacking the gas..... and see the trees or buildings beside you go by in a blur!!!

I got an itch for another bike right now after not owning one for the past few years.... and I think, now, I might just have to play it smart and just get a Gixxer 750. Uh, well, what fun would that be? LOL! I love straight up power! Just seeing the Busa again makes me want another... even though it's not the right bike for me based on where I live (busy city).

In conclusion, I think more mature riders/people who are "hefty" will be good on a Busa. But the Busa should not be a first bike for a smaller guy with no experience at all. Sure, any guy (even a small one) can ride it.... but there is a difference between riding and "RIDING" it. Moving the Busa around in awkward parking spots, hills, curbs, etc. can be a hassle for smaller guys whose feet can barely reach the ground (like me). I did it, though. But it took a lot of WORK to move that beast sometimes! I won't lie about that. And WHEN YOU DROP IT you better be able to pick it up. Yes, I said WHEN. I dumped mine and was able to pick it up with adrenaline.... but paid for it for 1 week because my back was totally thrown out! LOL!

So... in REAL conclusion..... I think a brand new rider should pick a bike based on their body size/weight mixed with their intentions about going very fast on a straight or making swift turns in traffic or on hairpins. So, yes, a Busa is a good first bike for some big dudes who really (honestly) don't want to actually go fast. Still, I think the rider should just pick a bike that he actually DOES want to ride. If you live in a crowded city then there is no need for a Busa other than showing off. If you are a big guy in the country who doesn't want a crappy cruiser then go for a Busa. You can handle it!

In other words...... I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER, EITHER! lol!

Who the Busa is right/wrong for is all up in the air and has to be based on the rider/buyer. That's all there is to it, I suppose.

Thanks for reading and congrats to H.org for trucking on and on......

P

To add: Damn! Just seeing my old sig makes me REALLY WANT THAT BIKE BACK!!! It was a thing of beauty... well, it still is in pictures. I hope the new owner treats her BAD by going very very fast! :)

Last edited:
I saw Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R in personal and indeed what was happened was love in first sight. I don't see the reason to reject such magnificent piece of automotive but for safety purposes for a rookie like me, study it well.

:rofl:Thats funny that you ask that! I myself would say it depends on your riding skills which YOU only know!! Start off slow. G:rulez:otta crawl before you can walk! Next i'll tell you a story, One day I was riding and an old school rider on a Busa pulls up next to me and says "Hey son, let me ask you; "Do you believe in God?" I said "Yes", and he said, "Good, Cause if you don't you aint got no business on a Busa!!":please:

Mate........................get the bike!!

My first response was................NO!! - Then I had a reality-check. Like you, I rode moto-crossers, (CR250 & 500's) have just spent 18 years in the Military and really enjoy riding bikes. If you have the self contorl not to exceed your limitations, then it doesn't matter if you are on a 125cc or a 'Busa.

Best advice I can give you, is think ahead when riding and always expect car drivers to do what you least expect!!

Enjoy and ride safe! :beerchug:

My two cents....

I also had a 600 to start with but being 6'4 and 128kg i was never made to ride a small bike.
That only lasted 6 months before I bought my Busa because I was uncomfortable on small bikes...

I layed it down turning out of my own street within the first 2 months just due to a little inexperence, cold tyre and too much power. Lucky it did minimal damage besides scratches!

Never looked back since though!!! Just because it has all that power doesn't mean you have to use it. You just ride to your experience level and no more until you are comfortable. Most of all make sure you are comfortable on the bike itself...

okay
just for your info
i started on a 100 kawasaki then went to a 250 suzuki then to a 900 super sport all within about a 15 year period
sold the 900 started the family thing so have been out for about 20 years
am now 50 and got the busa on saturday
love at first sight like you but realize it can kill you
i have scars as well from stupid decisions so now i am wiser
just gotta watch out for the not so wise car drivers
good luck with your decision and be safe
got my first 100 kms on it already so taking it slow

Sounds like you have quite a bunch of experience. I started around your age riding streetbikes...I start small and then went big. I had my 1000's for a very longtime and then moved up to the BUSA...let me tell you this bike will get you into trouble quick!!! Just a quick flip of the wrist on the throttle will get you into trouble if your not ready for it. I let me friend ride it who has a 1000's and all I saw was is upper body going back as he hit the throttle...he wasnt ready for the jolt of power when you give it a strong twist on the throttle. You are going to do what you are going to do no matter what people say. So if you do get one.......take it easy on it for awhile...and if you do get alittle crazy on the throttle.....be prepaired for it...lay low and hold on!!!!

My first bike. 2012 black busa. I put around 800 miles on it within a couple weeks. I don't ride it to and from work. So when I get a chance to ride I use up a day riding. I love it and I will always respect the power. My wife said the other day that I have not stopped smiling since I signed the papers and rode off. Life is short anyways. Live it to the fullest. (just might get there quicker on a busa)

I've ridden for the past 34 years. Owned used '68 Honda 350 Scrambler, new 1980 Suzuki 550e, used '72 and '74 Honda CB750's, New 1984 Honda CB700sc, used '82 Suzuki GS1100ez (still have) and now a 2009 'Busa. I have had my share of road rash and every time the cause was rider error coupled with environmental conditions that were less than optimum for testing the performance limitations of the machine I was riding. I keep coming back to it for the thrill of pushing myself to find my own limit of skill, which is limited, and nerve, which is just a little bit more abundant. I love the 'Busa and can handle it fairly well, but let's face it, Travis Pastrana could ride my bike much better than I could ever, even if he had never seen one. But Travis is a natural athlete with superhuman gymnastic ability. The people that I meet that purchased 'Busas still have them or have owned several and although they profess that the power of the bike is daunting even to seasoned riders, the visceral feeling one gets with 'Busa acceleration and speed is addicting and somewhat hypnotic. There are others I know that had 'Busas and sold them. Invariably they admit that they are afraid of the machine. Competent motocross riders historically make a successful transition to roadracing or GP than vice versa. For someone like me a 'Busa would have been a mistake. So would a '76 Kawi h1500 as a first bike. You know how good you are or are not. If you figure that you'll "just take it easy at first (like you're riding a GS550) and work your way up to it",you are already at a disadvantage when it comes to riding this machine. Either you have the ability (or potential, or raw intuitive talent of a Travis) to be the master of this machine or it will surely let you know that you are not. See you on the road either way.

Back