First Time Bike Owner...00 Busa

bcbosley

Registered
I recently just acquired an 00 hayabus in flawless condition, with 6800 miles. I traded some of my race car parts for it and all and all i feel it was a pretty good trade. I first was just going to sell it but have had thoughts on keeping it. Only thing is that I have NEVER owned a bike of any kind! I have owned dirtbikes and quads my whole life but never a street bike. Also I do drag race a 9.0 sec car so speed is not unfamiliar to me, but i understand on a bike is a different story. I guess my question is should i keep it or not as my first bike? I have yet to ride it and kinda of nervous about it from what i read everywhere on the net. Everyone saying oh hell no as a first bike, but i honestly believe most of the hate comes from people who never actually owned a busa. I joined this forum to hear from people who actually have owned one and looking forwar to opinions and advice. Btw I am 32 years old, no traffic tickets or accidents. I consider myself pretty responsible and have no desire to have to show off to anyone. I do understand the tempations that can arise with all that power though.

Welcome. First, post pics- we love 'em here. Second- take an MSF course. One where you pay to ride their bike. My recommendation is to park it and get something smaller to learn on/beat up, so that you keep your Busa in the current condition until you are comfortable. Many people get Busas as their first bike- but if you have the means and the patience, get a learning tool to abuse.

Just my .02

received_325251651177676.jpeg

I recently just acquired an 00 hayabus in flawless condition, with 6800 miles. I traded some of my race car parts for it and all and all i feel it was a pretty good trade. I first was just going to sell it but have had thoughts on keeping it. Only thing is that I have NEVER owned a bike of any kind! I have owned dirtbikes and quads my whole life but never a street bike. Also I do drag race a 9.0 sec car so speed is not unfamiliar to me, but i understand on a bike is a different story. I guess my question is should i keep it or not as my first bike? I have yet to ride it and kinda of nervous about it from what i read everywhere on the net. Everyone saying oh hell no as a first bike, but i honestly believe most of the hate comes from people who never actually owned a busa. I joined this forum to hear from people who actually have owned one and looking forwar to opinions and advice. Btw I am 32 years old, no traffic tickets or accidents. I consider myself pretty responsible and have no desire to have to show off to anyone. I do understand the tempations that can arise with all that power though.

Welcome to the board bro.

You'll be fine,just take it easy 'til you get used to it(if you can ride the wheels off a dirt bike and quad you won't have any issues with the Busa).

It only goes as fast as you want it to. Ease into it and dress appropriately! That's first hand experience talking! :vader:

Like everyone else said, don't believe the hype. Many people buy heavy Harleys with sub par brakes and suspension when compared to the busa. Take a safety course for sure, ride defensively and take your time. There are lots of good articles on street riding too that might give some good tips.
I rode on a permit for several years then got my first busa and took my road test with it, it's not as bad as people make it seem.

Thanks for all the replies. I plan on taking riding course. I dont want to just think i know what im doing and get myself into trouble or make a dumb mistake that could have been avoided. I also have a full set of leathers thay came with the bike. I tried them on before i made the trade it was like it was ment to be....fit perfect.

Thanks for all the replies.

I plan on taking riding course.

I don't want to just think i know what I am doing and get myself into trouble or make a dumb mistake that could have been avoided.

I also have a full set of leathers they came with the bike.

I tried them on before i made the trade it was like it was meant to be . . . .

Fit perfect.

Don't just dress for the ride ~ always be prepared for the slide . . .

nqx8th-b88452148z.120150703100311000gbnammdf.10.jpg

Shes only as fast as you want her to be.
Id trade her in for a Kawasaki Z125 Pro, ten times more fun then a Busa!

Welcome! My first street bike was an '08 Busa. As long as you respect the beast and treat her right, you'll be just fine.

+1 I rode a few cruisers occasionally and I owned a tiny enduro when I was a kid so I was familiar with bikes to some degree. My first adult bike was the 08 ZX-14. Ride it like a gramma. Don't let anyone tempt you to race. After a year you should be in pretty good shape. I found it very helpful to only ride the 14 for very short rides of 5 minutes and gradually increase to 15 minute rides before I actually took the bike on some REAL rides. Even then 30-40 minutes until I was really comfortable. Yes, riding a bike takes concentration to a slightly different level than driving a car. Your brain needs a rest often with all that intensity. Also, don't ramp down to normal thought mode until you are OFF the bike and the bike is safely securely standing on its own. The busa is known to have a ---lets say "deceptive kickstand." I've dropped mine twice in the driveway. Shut it off, leave in first gear, bump your foot against the back of the stand a couple times before you set it down. I ALWAYS give mine a close visual inspection before leaving it. I never want to see it laying on it's side again. I NEVER run the engine with the bike on its sidestand unless I'm sitting on it or holding it. If that bike ever goes down at 0 mph again, it won't because I was careless.

...and HELL NO, don't sell that black beauty!

i love my Gen2 but that Gen1 was just a classic. I'm not sure they outdid it with the Gen1, definitely not in looks. Hope for an exciting performance/appearance update in the next few years.

Back