Bad first time bike?

Speedracer,what did you do to the last two members,they want you dead!

Seriously,todays 600's are really too much for a beginner as they put almost 100 HP to the rear wheel and a Busa for a pure beginner is a joke for you will surely crash it.

You don't mention anything about previous experience, Speedracer. What are you used to riding, if anything and where do you ride? A mate’s back yard, a local field or do you have road experience? Do you drive a car, if so for how long? Road skills, even gained in a cage, count for a lot.

My two penneth worth.... If you’ve never done anything on a bike, go for a 250 or a 400. The bike will be light enough that you’ll easily handle the thing in motion, and be able to pick it up WHEN you drop it. I don’t think strength has anything to do with the matter in the face of 170bhp plus. I’m no 90lb weakling (6ft 1’ and 141/2 stone - 200lb in American and it ain't all fat!) and I know that if it all goes pear shaped it’s going to be loads of luck mixed with experience and skill that saves my bones, not my ability to wrestle the beast.

If you’ve plenty of experience of small bikes then go for a 600. I agree with my buddies that the CBR would be a fine machine for a first bike. I respect you guy’s who’ve had the 1100 as a first fighting machine, but would you honestly recommend a novice rider (though I’m not suggesting you are Speedracer!) do the same?

I’d check out insurance too. Don’t know what insurers are like in mainland Europe, but you would be bloody lucky to find anyone to insure a twenty one year old on a ‘Busa at ANY price in the UK.

I have driven a lot of bikers a GPZ 500 its an old bike but super to learn then a VFR750 it has loads more power
Now I have a Busa full Power this bike needs experience and respect and you only get that from riding
Smaller bikes 100 BHP or less. The busa is very fast I would say to fast for a beginner if you want to live a little longer. Even after a few weeks of riding this bike the words (F*** ME) comes out 175 BHP is a lot of horses to tame when your only use to a pony if I was starting over I would buy an R6 very fast and light corners like a dream. is the busa restricted to 100BHP in Europe ?

Speedracer,
I recommend the Suzuki Bandit 1200, the bike is cheap new or used, has tons of torque for hooligan streetwork such as wheelies, has no expensive lower fairings, etc. Wring its neck for a few months and then decide if you are going to do a lot of riding over or under 100 miles per hour. The unfaired bandit for under 100 mph and the busa for roadwork over 100mph. I see triple digits much too often and the busa offers the stability and wind protection that the bandit does not. Whatever you get, don't try to keep up with the people going faster than you, ride your own race until you know the bike's limits as well as your own.

I don't care how heavy or how tall you are, your first bike should be a no faired bike, cafe style-standard. Easy sitting position, small displacement. ALL chicks think they are "ninja's" and have no clue what "size" the motor is, you can get laid on any bike (sad but true)...

TAKE THE MC SAFETY COURSE! THE COST OF THE COURSE IS CHEAPER THAN YOUR DAMN DEDUCTABLE... a lot of riders first insurance claim is a stupid one that could of easily been avoided... the course will pay for itself 10 fold.

Anyone can ride a busa, put their feet down flatfooted and do 200mph, try throwing it around a busy parking lot at 5mph for 20 mins, most will crash... become an expert on a small bike that you have no love loss for, experiment with braking and everything, then step up to a hot looking sportbike.. small CC, an inline 4 400cc bike has a shitload more power than an older 450-600 twin. The power is more controlable on the older twins than the newer bikes.. the peaky power of newer biker can get you into a lot of trouble REAL quick!...

Good luck! And enjoy!...

oh, and if you stroll up to a pack up squids on your new ride after seeing them do endless wheelies/stoppies etc... don't ask them how to wheelie!.. you will find out soon enough young grasshopper...

:D

I'm not going to tell you what to ride, but I will tell you that the Busa is just about the worst learner's bike I can think of.

If you buy something like a 500/600, it will be lighter and much easier to handle at low speeds, plus much cheaper to buy, and /or repair. You can learn cornering techniques, and how to use power in corners without having a sudden surge of power push you off the road.

In six months, you could become a competent rider with the smaller bike. In six months with the Busa, you will still be a beginner searching for the skills you should have already learned. In six months you will be faster on the smaller bike, unless it is in a straight line.

Get into a turn with a CBR 600 in a lower gear and you can learn how to use the throttle to balance the bike and shoot out onto the straightaway. Not very difficult.

Try the same thing on the Busa, and you will either go very slow to avoid the power surge, or you will be in danger of losing it, since you will not have learned what a bike feels like as it approaches the limits. The Busa gets to those limits much quicker than the smaller bikes, thus is much harder to ride at speed in turns.

If you start out on the Busa, you will be a slow rider on a fast bike for a long time, if you survive. By starting on a smaller bike, you will gradually become better than the bike, and have a much better chance of survival. At that time, it is time to upgrade to something like the Busa.

Starting out on the Busa is not impossible. Others have done it,and some have even survived, but it's more difficult than necessary.

It is a lot like deciding that you want to learn to fly, and asking if you should buy a Concorde? Exactly the same concept, and just about as sensible.

I agree with all of the above. I've been riding since 93 - I started with a 84FJ1100, 94 ZX11, and now the Busa. Everything is in the rider but I would recommend starting off with a used 600 or a 2000GSXR 750 if you want something new. The Busa is violent and must be respected like any other big bore bike. This past weekend a 1st time rider with a new 00 Blue Busa hit the gas in the curve - the front wheel lifted and he turned the wheel. Wheel comes down turned and a 1 month old bike is destroyed. Good luck.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Richard creates the perfect squid!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO!!!

Okay, "Speedracer", the fish have quit biting, the feeding frenzy is over, come out from behind the hokey pen name and claim your pats on the back. Who are ya, ducneurotic? danglypete? squidviscous? hehehehehe

Yeah,Go ahead and get a 'Busa.Then,Go take the motorcycle safety course on it.After you drop it five times on your first "saddle session "of the class,then you will learn that everyone here is not just blowing hot air.I guarantee that you will drop it during the slow speed maneuvers that the class is full of.
PLEASE listen,these guys here are honestly trying to give sound advice based on many years of experience.
B21

I just had to comment on the saftey course with the Busa. A riding partner of mine who has yet to get his lic. Tried to take the course with a Busa. They told him that it too much motorcycle to let him take the course in. They gave him a 250, what does that tell you?

It may not be a good beginner's bike for some, but for me it works out fine. I am old enough to know that the throttle works both ways. I have put 21 years of stupidity behind me. I ride bicycles, and the balance, braking, and turning are all the same. I also have already seen every stupid thing that a car driver can do. I have raced cars for more than 20 years, so I am no stranger to speed. I now have almost 6000 miles in my 2 months total of street bike experience on my bike, and two days ago my performance at railing with an R1 and a TL-R caused my peers to promote me from a beginner to whatever someone is afer they are a beginner. My braking points and downshifts are still a little clumsy when setting up for a corner, but I am getting good texture on the shoulders of the tires, and I am keeping up. I am steering with my hips now also. The one thing that I still have trouble with is linked 15mph corners and similar roads, but that is not what the Bus was made for.

Back