Bad first time bike?

gixxer

Registered
i would honestly recommend a Honda 600 F2 or F3- i think it would give you the required skills- unless you are over 6'2" -gixxer(my first bike was a 92 GSXR 1100)

HEY! my first bike was a 92 GSX-R1100 ! blue and white model. I bought my bike used, because I wanted something I could drop & scrap up.

It comes down to your personality. If your are on the conservative side go for the 600 or 750. If your on the agressive side 750-1100.

The bigger bike you get the more careful you will need to be at first but you can grow into it if you do it right. Otherwise you can buy a small bike and be upgrading next year or so.

I like the power of big bikes but of course I dont go road racing either. If I had a smaller bike I could possibley gotten into racing but here in TX we have a lot of open space to cover, not mountain twisties.

Use common sense and you will do okay on any bike you get.

later.

I'll probably get flamed for this as someone that's prejudiced against small riders, but...

I think that your first bike should be smaller...I do not think ANYONE should start on an 1100. I also think that your first bike should depend on your size.

I think anyone that is under 185-200lbs should start off with a 500-600 and I highly suggest the CBR600. You can get a 1988-89 era CBR600 for just a few thousand...parts are cheap, the bike is light and it's an all-around stable bike.

Anyone over that needs a bigger bike...I've always like the VFR750, myself, but their price is, I think, prohibitive for a first time bike. In addition, their parts are higher as well. A good call on this one would probably be a Suzuki Katana 750. Not a bad all around bike (not close to a VFR, though...if you can afford it, it's one of the tightest rides around). If you're a big guy (250 lbs+), maybe a CBR1000F (circa 1990 or so) would even be a good choice as long as you lay back on the throttle for quite a while.

In short, I think you should get a calmer bike than a liter bike or a race-ready type (900RR, ZX7R, ZX9R) for your first...it's not like you can't buy/sell as often as you like. As a matter of fact, with bikes it's quite often easy to find trades. Friend of mine did just that...went from a CBR600 to a CBR900RR and is now heading for a Ducati...all in about 15 months.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by BigDog (edited 04 July 1999).]

I started off with a Honda CB 650 1979. Because that's all I could afford. I went to the 95 600 Katana because that's all I could afford. Then I got promoted, and got the 98 TL1000R. Then I went for the gusto with the Hayabusa in 99. I would start off with a gxsr 750 if you know what you are doing, because it is fast as hell too! After about a year with that, get the busa next year. Might have some cooler colors, and some nice upgrades then. Make sure you put your busa on order now for next year.

Later soja1

I also know a guy with a XX Honda and that was his first bike. Let me tell you, the bike rides him, because he doesn't ride the bike. If you bought his XX, it would be like buying a 63 Impala from an old lady. A nice vehicle that has never been pushed to the extreme. I have never seen such a big puss in my life. He let a semi truck pass him on the highway because he was too scared to go over 80mph. He didn't know what he was buying until he had it for about 6 months and his friend explained to him what he had. He thought he had a big Katana or something.
LOL
soja1 strikes again

Hey mine was blue and white also. I still have it though now its 1300 cc's with 200 rear wheel hp and 4omm flatslides- this moutha moves - but not as calm as the 'busa- GIXXER

Speedracer, i dont know where you live, but before you buy a bike, take the motorcycle safety foundation course. The first thing you will learn is can you handle a 250 cc bike on simple driving course. If you can "great" (they provide the bike to ride)and if you cant, no harm done. Second you'll get your license in most states after successful completion. Thirdly, you'll learn techniques that will take time, and trial and error on the street to learn. The unfortunate thing is the street is not a place to learn from your mistakes, you could get killed. i for one do not want to see happen. Lets be smart, lets be safe and lets stay alive.................

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 04 July 1999).]

I agree with vegas dude, I have been
riding bikes now for close to twenty
years. I would recommend the motorcycle
safety course for everyone, I have a Bus
and it would take you a while to get use
to the power, I think a good bike for a
beginner and it is a blast to ride is the
half a bus the Suzuki SV650, I am
considering buying one for a second bike.
Good Luck,
Team

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Im pretty tall so i dont think handeling a big bike is gonna be a problem, i can get both feet ont the ground with ease.
Also i live near one of the best raceways in europe and i want a bike that can really push me along the straights.(go to www.acr.no and push the right side link that says "kommunikasjon", there is a picture of the raceway at the bottom of the page)
Anyway, i feel that anything under 900cc i small, mayby im wrong but for me its all about horspower, the more the better.

no no no. teamhayabusa it nothing like that. im not buying a bike to be macho or anything like that. its about fun, getting a kick you know!. and the bigger the bike the better the kick right. Now dont think im some kind of kamikaze coo-coo thats just looking for a exiting way of killing himself, but speed is fun and its probably the number one reason why young people to get into motorcycles in the first place.

[This message has been edited by Speedracer (edited 04 July 1999).]

no im not looking for a track bike, i want a normal "of the shelf" bike that i can enjoy on the road and for a day on the track if i feel like it.

Im in the process of getting my mc-license. I`ll turn 21 next year and im looking around for a bike to buy next summer. I`ve looked at the hayabusa and im very impressed. It`s obviously a very powerful bike, especially for a beginner. I`ve also been thinking about the kawazaki zx9. opinions anyone?!?

Yes, get something cheap that you can crash. Should you crash a Busa it will cost you thousands of $$ and much time waiting on part to arrive from Japan.

I would start with something under a 500cc, mid 80's or early 90's bike. A bike like this would be much more of a starter bike and really would not matter when you crash it.

I have been riding street for a year now. I started off om a 98 Katana 600, Used it for a few months and then bought my dream. 2000 blue/silver Busa.

I drove it for 20 clicks, stopped at a light. Went to make a left hand turn. I forgot to shift into first, started into the turn, put my feet on the pegs, bike stalled and fell to the pavement

I was not that upset, cause I deserved it.. I was not used to the clutch or the size and weight of the bike. I now know I was not ready for it.

Over the past month, I have gotten used to the weight, size and clutch and I love it. But, I could have waited!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO! the busa is not a toy. This bike is HEAVY not only in weight but in power. When you get your first bike you WILL make stupid mistakes like forget to put your foot down at a light, forget to take the disc lock of, or turn too hard in the garage and drop the bike. unless your pretty strong with a damn good grip you will drop the bike under any one of these conditions. stick with a honda 600 cbr or hurricane. something that you can drop. get some hours on that bike then you can move up to the Hayabusa. I know it sounds wierd but you wouldn't believe the stories I have heard.

You WILL drop your first bike, once, twice, maybe a few times, nobody knows. You can use a Hayabusa as a first bike/learning bike, but it depends on how much cash you have to fix your learner when you drop it. Figure on $2,000-$5,000 USD, each time you cause a Hayabusa to leave its wheels.

Insurance? Again, it depends on how much cash flow you have. If you are swimming in money, you might as well learn on a Hayabusa. But there are less expensive bikes to make your learning mistakes on. And you will make mistakes. It happens to everyone.

Get a new Hayabusa off the showroom floor, have it fitted out with the latest and greatest airbox mods, exhaust sytems, race compound tires, and definitely, the Turbo option. Do a search on the list to find out the best sources. Don't ride it or anything smaller until you have all the mods done.

The first time you take it out, wear shorts, sandals and tank top. You don't want to be distracted by all that heavy confining protective gear.

Check out the advice available on the board for doing stoppies, wheelies and burnouts, cuz you won't wanna waste anytime starting to enjoy these activities.

As the famous quote goes, "Do you want to live forever?"

Back