GSX1300R beats up on the ZX12

Gixx1300R

Registered
Well today Terrance,Herb,Anthony and myself took a ride over to Melbourne from Orlando to do some street racing.Particularly for me to race a ZX12.To get to the good
stuff I'll skip the boring details.The guy that owns the ZX12 is an above
average rider.He wheelies the 12 and he launches pretty damn good.He weighs
about 200 to 210 lbs while I'm at 230lbs.We raced twice,he lost twice.The
first race we launched together and was side by side until I went the 2nd
gear,the Busa pulled out about a bike length.When I shifted to the Busa
pulled another 1/2 bike on the ZX12 but the interesting thing was as the RPMs
climbed in 3rd I pulled away a little more.So I beat him by about 2 bike
lengths
After the first race he wanted to go again.So we lined up and we
launched.This time I smoked him off the line by 2 bike lengths.When I went to
2nd gear the front wheel lifted about 6 inches but I stayed on the
throttle.By this time I was about 3 bikes ahead and I shifted to 3rd and
pulled away a little more.We went across the finish line with me in front by
about 4 1/2 bikes.This race against the ZX12 let me know alot of things about
the bike.One is that the bike has nowhere near the horsepower/torque that the
Busa has but it is a good bike.Two is that it is more on par with the
CBR1100XX in the 1/4 mile and top speed.The ZX12 also raced a 94 GSXR 1100
and the 1100 was smoking the 12 all day long.The GSXR 1100 had 41mm Keihin
flatslides and lots of motor work but it was not lowered.the GSXR 1100 also
raced a CBR1100XX and the XX won a couple.No one else wanted any part of the
Busa.

Nick

Fantastic job Nick. You and the Busa put the 12 in its place. So did you have to listen to a lot of excuses afterwards or did he take it like a man?

Well to be honest the owner of the ZX12 said he didnt like it.He used to use a Triumph 595 and said that the ZX12 was too big and heavy for him.I didnt understand this because the guy was about 6ft tall.The Endcan on the 12 is huge,the thing looks like a cannon.It looks like Kawi tried to shave as much weigh as possible but in the process made the bike look cheap.Look for 1/4 mile times for the 12 to be about equal to the CBR1100XX.He took the loss like a man.He had no excuses afterward.Stock for Stock the Busa is much faster from 0 to topend than the ZX12.Period!!!!

Was he having any problems keeping the front end down?
Also have you installed that akro yet? If so I wanted to hear your opinion on it. I'm sure you'll be teaming it up with a PC2 with the akro map. That map would not work with the muzzy, currently using the ti-force map with one bar down on the low position. Seems to be as close as I can get till D.J.I. develops a map for the muzzy. BTW: congratulations, sweet.

Thanks tom, thats what makes this game. Actual real world comparisons. I love the way this rivalry is shaping up, I'd love to ride up and join you guys but I'm 3 hours due south. Maybe we can hook up when I'm in sarasota for tuning.

Be glad that you did not purchase a ZX12 Omega.Since you like to get more horsepower by doing major modifications You got the right bike.Suzuki's history has shown that it's the bike to modify for the best price and with aftermarket availibilty.The ZX12 is a quick bike it just aint quick enuf.

Exactly, once it came out it was obvious to me there was no comparison.

just to let you know, my older brother is to
pick up his 12R in 2 weeks. I'll give you all
the datails from roll ons to 1/4 runs. Don't
worry -- I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT --

Yes my Busa is stock I havent received my Povic yet since Lockhart Phillips didnt have any in stock.I'll have one soon.The ZX12 just doesnt have the Torque to take on the Busa with 2 equal riders.

GIXXER1300, Please let me know the next time that you go out with the ZX12 becouse I would like a shot at it myself. My 2000 model is still stock and would like to see it for myself. I live in Lake Helen about 35 minutes from Orlando (East On I-4) or we could go riding ourselfs, lets hook up. See if the guy with the ZX12 wants to go riding this weekend. Let me know I am ready. We are located pretty close to each other I could meet you some where. Either reply a post or e-mail me telabarre@yahoo.com Look forward to hearing from you. If not this weekend lets set a date that we could go riding.

Back