Got rear-ended

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
The bike's OTS with a bad fuel pump, so I'm off to work in my car. The freeway slows, common in LA, and turns into stop and go. As I come to a stop, I look in my rearview to check the guy behind me. He's looking 90degrees to the right, head completely turned to the right. OH CRAP!! I get off the brake, hit the gas, and start swerving to the left to clear the car in front of me. Too late.

Well Jose has no insurance
mad.gif
Of course. Luckily it was low speed and I was accelerating so it just looks like the bumper is scuffed. But the shock absorbtion material behind the bumper is proabably shot. He did have a driver's license, but the zip code was 00000. We have a friend that's going to check out the DL# and see if its legit.

My neck did whip pretty good.... But it seems fine now. I've been told it takes a couple days sometimes for whiplash to show. I'll goto the Doctor's tomorrow and have him check me out just incase, its like a $10 co-pay.

Jose seemed like a decent dude. Said he'll pay for the car's damages, we'll see. Obviously he didn't want me calling the CHP out, but its not my fault he doesn't have insurance or that he hit me. Sorry dude, I'm going to protect myself, especially in LA.

CHP rolls up and asked if we had swapped info. Then asked us if we really wanted to file an accident report. The cop was wishy washy about it. I finally asked the cop if there's anything negative about filling out a report, he said no, so I said lets fill one out.
rock.gif

Anyway, I'm really thankful I looked in the rearview and got my foot off the brake and the car moving. It'd been a lot worse if I was stopped with my foot on the brake.

I've always carried at least liability. This guy could've seriously injured me and obviously can't pay for it. His car's all beat up, I couldn't tell what damage just happened and what's old damage on his car. Liability is frigg'in cheap!!! Unless you have a bad driving record... DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE!!!!
Guess I just had to vent a little...

Sorry to hear it, bro! I agree on carrying at least liability on all vehicles.

Sue his azz. Just for fun,and also a learning lesson for him.

Maybe you'll get enuff to pay for yer fuel pump.

I wouldn't even dream of going out on the road without insurance.

That act itself deserves a spanking.

Rubb.

post_18_67487_whoopass.gif

Make sure you check out the trailer hitch really well. Make sure nothing looks bent or broke. You don't want to lose the bike if you tow it anywhere.

damn that sucks.  Glad you weren't on the bike
Wouldn't have happened on the bike. With lane sharing legal, I'd a been splitting and/or in the carpool lane.

But yeah, I could still get rear-ended on the bike at red lights and stop signs. Like our brother Rubbah
down.gif

Sue his azz.  Just for fun,and also a learning lesson for him.

Maybe you'll get enuff to pay for yer fuel pump.

I wouldn't even dream of going out on the road without insurance.

That act itself deserves a spanking.

Rubb.
First I'll see if he pays for the car. I don't have the money right now and I'd like to avoid using my insurance company since he doesn't have one.

But if he doesn't pay or gets wishy washy, its on like donkey kong
mad.gif

ahh damn man.....I'm sorry to hear that! At least you were in a cage and not the bike!!!!

no favors..no mercy..no get out of jail free.

Make him pay. My rates reflect these kind of friggin clowns and quite frankly..I'm sick of it!

hogger...

Hope your neck is alright, Zip 00000, ummm. ya right, good luck too ya, hope it alworks out,

Unless he's living in a cave that has postal service I'm afraid you will probably be SOL. Sorry to hear about that and thank God you were not rear ended on the bike.
Take Care Bro...

Glad you okay. I hope the doctors goes well for you too.

The post office doesn't have any 00000 zip codes. There aren't any 00000 postal codes anywhere in the world! No insurance. I smell possible Illegal Immigrant! Chances are you'll never hear from him again!

Dang Charles.. sorry to hear about this..

Visions of my hopefull move out of California flash through my head...

Yeah.. zip code of all zero's... something isnt right...

And that is what sucks about illegals and no insurance... from my experiance, nothing ever happens to them anyway. kind of like you cant get blood out of brick..

I had a guy speed around a corner, lost control, ran into my yard. he was hispanic, didnt speak very good english, tried to flee the scene but his undercarage got hung up on a pipe I had in the ground. no drivers license, no insurance, no proof of ID. and he got some lame ticket and that was it..

His a$$ should have went to jail as far as I am concerned, but law enforcemnt for whatever reason has better things to do.

But he11, let me drive around with no insurance and my world as I know it will get all screwed up.

Just aint right...

glad to hear you are going to be ok that's the important part "things" can always be fixed

Wow, Insurance isn't required in the peoples republic of Kalifornia?

Here liability is required in order to get plates.

Whiplash is painful. Your trip to the MD is warranted in deed.

Hope you heal up.

Chris

Chas,  Glad u r mostly ok.  I was just down there last wknd riding the V Rod home from San Clemente and the stop & go was rediculous! I saw a bunch of accidents and was just praying to get home safe. I dont know how you guys ride the freeways down there, about the only good thing about being on a bike was the lane splitting. So Cal is not for me.

<!--EDIT|Kento-Moto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152525267 -->

Chas,  Glad u r mostly ok.  I was just down there last wknd riding the V Rod home from San Clemente and the stop & go was rediculous! I saw a bunch of accidents and was just praying to get home safe. I dont know how you guys ride the freeways down there, about the only good thing about being on a bike was the lane splitting. So Cal is not for me.
On a bike, the LA freeways are great... in a car not so great. Can't wait to move back out there this year.

If the guy didn't have the money for liability, I doubt you'll ever see a dime. There are things you can do (especially since you filed a report) through the DAs office to make his life miserable though.

People usually go for the minium liability. That is a bad idea. I think minimum pays 15K per person, and 15K for vehicle damage, and I have forgotten how much for property damage.

If your insurance pays, it's like automatically pleading you guilty. Then if someone sues for 60K medical, you end up owing the difference, which can be catastrophic. I carry 150, 150, and X. It doesn't cost much more.

Update;

Neck is doing good so far, I'm thinking I don't have whiplash whew

Got an estimate for the car, $700 at the minimum. Parts & supplies $320, labor $380. That's saying they don't find any further damage once they remove the bumper cover.

Called Jose, number is disconnected
mad.gif
Big surprise huh??

I guess at this point I'll write a certified letter, to the supposed legit address, demanding Jose contact me with the estimate enclosed. Wait a week or something for Jose to contact me. Then call the officier and explain the situation and see what he has done and can do(giving false info to a cop is a crime). If the cop is no help, contact a DA. And file a lawsuit.

But I'll never see a dime.... just really thankful I don't seem to be hurt.

Back