Good news everyone, I bought a blue 2017 Hayabusa!

Hayabusa Wannabe

Registered
I purchased a 2017 Blue & White with 300 miles on it for $9500.

I originally set out to get a bike with a lot of miles and good maintenance, hopefully for a song and dance. That would allow me to paint it and supercharge it. However, there are relatively few Hayabusas available in this area and they are almost never maintained, and most are molested with long swingarms, bling, and the such. On top of that the owners want a high price for them. The used floor price of this bike near me is far too high. With that in mind I decided on getting the newest bike possible. I found this one used bike with low miles and in the fantastic blue color. Otherwise I would have gotten a leftover 2018 white and red, but no one in my circle including me likes the color. I do not do my own work so a newer bike makes a lot of sense for me. However this does blow the entire short term budget. No exhaust or anything soon, but that is fine.

I cannot wait to ride it! (It is not insured yet.)

There was no maintenance done yet to this bike. I kind of get it as the owner bought it last year and did not ride it. I am obsessive and my mechanic is very detail oriented so every last detail will get addressed.

The bike started fine but my friend said it was a little bit slow for that bike. When we got home the battery was 12.8 V, to me a bit low after an hour ride. I hope the stator was not cooking to charge a battery that only had a five minute charge but was nearly dead after the winter! I put it on a Battery Tender Plus, and it's steady-state voltage after a day or two will tell me a bit about the battery health.

I have to wash it, I am thinking with Dawn. There is Armor All or something similarly oily on the black plastic and my mechanic thinks there is (or was) some on the tires before he rode it home for me. It has some swirl marks on the paint and windscreen from synthetic rags or a dry wipe. There is a little rust on the kickstand. The painted bolts are a little off-color. Stained or corrosion had begun? The rim sticker is slightly crooked, ergo user-applied. I likely will remove it.

My mechanic said the chain is loose, while I am not used to adjusting this bike yet. The bottom of the chain seems to have the right give but the top is resting on the the guard and seems to flex up a bit too much.

What is the deal with the dark view of hydraulic fluid in late model Hayabusas? The circle appears extremely dark but the outer ring has a nice healthy translucent appearance. We did see this same effect on a brand new 2018 in the dealership. A used 2013 in the dealership had perfectly clear looking windows and fluid, as I would expect. I am guessing Suzuki engineered this view intentionally, with a contrast between the edge and the middle of the circle. It is not particularly good for an evaluation of fluid color methinks.

My friend said that the OEM tires are hard as a rock and I should replace them. I see the Battleax lineup has an additional belt in it, perhaps that contributes to the feel. These seem to be a summer tire. Not a fan of a tire that needs to be warmed up for the motorcycle, particularly when I head out for an hour ride on a 50°F day. My mechanic recommended a Michelin touring tire with a hard middle compound, and that likely will be my next one. (I think many of you have highly recommended the Michelin tires for this bike.) We will see, I would prefer to use up these new tires first, if they do not give me any major headaches. .

I like to collect certain materials for posterity. I would love to have a Suzuki binder with setup instructions and any other bulletins pertaining to recent Hayabusas. Anything dated "2017" that matches my bike would be preferred. I know dealers get charged for these materials so I would be happy to pay for any leftover materials that any dealer people here may be getting rid of.

Regarding printed materials does anyone know what the Suzuki Ready Reference Placard Set is? This is listed alongside the Factory Service Manual on the purchase website.

BAH no key code tag! I sent a note to the purchase dealership to see if they have a record of it. It is not printed in the owner's manual that I received with the bike.

0055-05-19-2019-090208AM_small.jpg

Last edited:
Very happy for you to get such a great bike-well done you!!

The battery is probably original so I'd junk it for a new one...sitting around for a couple years and most likely not on a trickle charger kills a battery fairly quickly.

After a pile of research, I am going to the Michelin PR5s next so your idea of going to them is a good one IMO.

I'm sure @jeffgordons24 will soon be chiming in on your color choice....

I like it too.

Lovely color. Enjoy your purchase! Dawn strips wax and polish from paint and grease from places it needs to be. It's not good in a bike application. I suggest you invest in some automotive soap. Also, if you learn to do basic maintenance yourself (it's not difficult) you can save quite a bit in labor which can applied to upgrades...

Also, if you learn to do basic maintenance yourself (it's not difficult) you can save quite a bit in labor which can applied to upgrades...

Thank you. I have heard that advice often in this hobby where so many do their own work.

I spend my day solving technical problems and I feel that the bikes only fit in my life where I can get on them and ride away from "procedures" and "maintenance" and all that stuff that IT shares with vehicles. Working on vehicles would be too similar to bringing work home with me. Also, as automotive tech experience is vaporizing for various reasons, I like to prop up great techs by providing them a steady stream of business. I always want them there for me. That is more important than the absolute amount of money I can save and budget for the hobby, if that makes any sense.

Lastly, I am obsessive-compulsive about my work and I get an absolute thrill out of having automotive techs who are like that with my vehicles. Everything is done just right. How awesome is that?

Great score on your bird bro , I bet you are more than happy and itching to get a good ride in on it asap . The bike certainly looks like it will buff up like new once you get your polishing products onto it , it will be a bonding experience for you both . As for all the marked up bolts , you can jump straight into the ti and aluminum addiction , and start swapping them out .... , of course it all can wait till you have saved up a bit of bike fund $ !!
The main thing is you now got a great Busa to enjoy , have fun getting to know your beast bro .

Great score on your bird bro , I bet you are more than happy and itching to get a good ride in on it asap . The bike certainly looks like it will buff up like new once you get your polishing products onto it , it will be a bonding experience for you both . As for all the marked up bolts , you can jump straight into the ti and aluminum addiction , and start swapping them out .... , of course it all can wait till you have saved up a bit of bike fund $ !!
The main thing is you now got a great Busa to enjoy , have fun getting to know your beast bro .

Bingo, bingo, bingo, bingo, wait hold on a sec...expensive lightweight bolts? That's CRAZY! :shocked: Well I should learn to never say "never."I do appreciate beautiful, high quality fasteners. So perhaps the crazy Ti builders here will rub off on me.

Very happy for you to get such a great bike-well done you!!

The battery is probably original so I'd junk it for a new one...sitting around for a couple years and most likely not on a trickle charger kills a battery fairly quickly.

After a pile of research, I am going to the Michelin PR5s next so your idea of going to them is a good one IMO.

I like it too.
Someone might need to check on @jeffgordons24 this has been posted a whole day and no comment about the blue from him. Nice score on the bike now pull that ecu and send it to Frank @POWERHOUSE I just did and I promise you won't regret it. And first things first kickstand mod.

[QUOTE="Yellow09, post: 3288577, member: 48791"

I like it too.
Steven. steven, where are you??? Lookit, lookit, a BLUE Busa!!!
Hehehehe. . .
nice machine and at a great price too!
Enjoy . . . :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]
HELLO!! Beautiful bike! I love that blue color think that is the same color as @Fernando. I am here, sorry guys the weather got nice-ish here so I was doing some yard maintenance. Nice to come back to the sweet taste of a blue gen 2

Someone might need to check on @jeffgordons24 this has been posted a whole day and no comment about the blue from him. Nice score on the bike now pull that ecu and send it to Frank @POWERHOUSE I just did and I promise you won't regret it. And first things first kickstand mod.
I second the powerhouse!. As the age old saying goes, do it once and do it right!
oh and WELCOME!!!

Steven. steven, where are you??? Lookit, lookit, a BLUE Busa!!!
Hehehehe. . .
nice machine and at a great price too!
Enjoy . . . :thumbsup:
HELLO!! Beautiful bike! I love that blue color think that is the same color as @Fernando. I am here, sorry guys the weather got nice-ish here so I was doing some yard maintenance. Nice to come back to the sweet taste of a blue gen 2
[/QUOTE]
Yes sir, @jeffgordons24. Same color ,same year!!!

Have you ridden it yet? And welcome @Hayabusa Wannabe! (are you still that??)
Note on Keys and that code: I bought an OEM key blank ($64) and had it cut for $2. No immobilizer programming required (confirming that US bikes (mine's a '14) do not utilize immobilizer tech). Could have saved even more w/ generic but wanted the OEM key head.

Enjoy it, and let the forum know your adventures!

Back