A Hello to everyone & a couple of queries

Hi guys,

Just got my Black/purple 2004 Busa a few days back, and wanted to say hello to everyone on the group. My friends call me A.B., and I stay in Bombay, India.

Riding the bike has been a pleasure beyond description. But having never owned a bike like this before, ( owned only a 125 cc bike before this ) and being very new to this league of bikes, I have a few queries about it, just the same. I know that these issues might have been discussed before, but just the same, please do help me out.

1. Is there a running in period for the new engine and should I ride it below a certain RPM and/or speed for some time or a certain number of Kms.

AND
2. How long does it usually take for the tires to warm up…( coz I did experience the back wheel spin a little faster than I wanted it to, on a couple of occasions when I revved up the accelerator a bit too quickly) and the last thing I wanna do, is drop the bike. .

So guys please do help me out with your views on these 2 queries

Would also like to add here that this is exactly the kind of place I was looking for to share my thoughts and queries about the Busa.

Take care & Ride Safe.

Thanx.
A.B.

I tried keeping it under 5500RPM, but occasionally got on it. You can't baby it forever AB. Welcome to the board.
beerchug.gif

Congratulations on the new Busa. I didn't know that it was available in your country.  I did the mototune break-in too, the dyno technique. As far a tire warm up, I haven't felt a subjective difference between cold tire and warm tire handling but I do intentionally take it easy for the first 5 - 10 minutes. The tires are on my Corvette (a sports car available in America) will clunk and thump while cold. I pulled over thinking I had a flat tire the first time I heard it. Goes away after ten miles at high speed.

<!--EDIT|drlucian
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100950319 -->

Hey guys,
Thanx a lot for the info. Tommorow is a Sunday and will be taking her out for a first long ride.

Busahaya : I guess it is going to be rather difficult to keep it under 5500 RPM. But like you’ve said cant baby it forever….! So I am gonna take your advise.

Painless4u : Will try the Manual street mototune break in. I don’t have a dyno kit , so will have to stick to the manual.. ( but thanks for the link .. quite an interesting read, I might add.)

Drlucian : I did experience a bit of a spin on my cold tyres.. but luckily could stay in control. About the availability of such bikes in India – In Short - its not available.
In India, if you want to buy a brand new bike like this. You can’t just get it off the shelf, it has to be imported. And that takes a couple of months atleast, and a lot of hassle. When I placed my order, the 2005 Busa was not out and hence I had to go for the 2004 version. I went for the Black/Purple Busa, and its taken a good 4 months to complete all the formalities and for my bike to actually get here. Regardless of the delay, this is probably the best impulsive decision I have taken. So you could say, that here, in India, its just crazy guys like me who have always had a dream to own a beauty like this, that pursue it till the very end..

Anyway, guys like I said will be leaving for the ride early morning, so better hit the bed. Thanx a lot once again.. I’ll post the pictures soon.

Take Care. Ride Safe.
A.B.

Welcome to the board and enjoy that sucker! Pics please for the board. 5000 - 5500 RPM is what I kept mine at for the majority of the 600 mile break-in. I hit high speed, but took longer to get there. Like the others I try to warm my tires up for between 5 and 10 minutes before anything outrageous takes place.

Guys,
The ride was simply awesome. Did Try to follow the Manual Street Mototune, break in.. Managed to keep the bike under 6000 RPM barring a couple of occasions, when we hit open road and speeds of about 220kms/hour + (trying to keep a ZX 12 from going past.) But sensibility soon prevailed, and it being my first long ride, I came down to about a 5000 RPM. I Did try and increase and decrease speeds through the gears as mentioned in the Mototune link. Now I only hope I did it the right way.

However, I must also add here that riding the bike has been a humbling experience in a way. I mean, its such a powerful beast, that I have realized in this short period of my usage, that you have to respect the bike and its capabilities if you want the bike to respect you as a rider.

All in all a great first ride.

So that’s it as of now. Will post the pics. soon
Take care. Ride Safe.
A.B.

I am also new in this board but welcome to the board. I have a new busa 2005 with 25 miles on it what I do is to load it in 6 gear from 2500 rpms up to 5500 several times with out exeding 5550 rpms. that way the engine get use to loads of air/gas, timing chages and compretion ratios changes with out hurting the break in period.

Helo to every body I will send pics probably next week .

A.B. and Gaby -
Welcome to the board. PICS. PICS, PICS -----
smile.gif

First: I would like to say congrad and welcome to the best hayabusa sight in the world, you'll find this sight full of laugh and information.

Second: You have made a pretty big jump from 125 to 1300cc's. The busa demands respect or the consequence can be ugly!

Also shenoyp & abhi are from India also and just got Busa's, I don't know how close but I'll leave that for you.

pics, please! What's the traffic + overall riding like in Bombay? Any good twisties, etc.?
devil.gif

Welcome to the board... as the people have said, keep it below 5.5k RPM. Stock tires dont need to warm up for the kind of riding you doin India. If you have skid your bike... that means you have done downshifts like how you do on a 125. Be-careful... This bike can bite! Use your brakes effeciently before you downshift....

Back