bought my boosaw saturday - bad tranny?

Boosaw

Registered
Hello everybody, I just got my first busa but it's not my first bike. It's my 63rd bike. I've owned just about everything from Enfield to Zundapps and everything inbetween. I raced motocross for 30 years on tracks from Florida to California. I'm saying this because this is the first bike I've had that miss shifts right from the show room, about 20% of the time when shifting into 5th and or 6th. Not knowing anything about busas except that they are fast, I don't know if this is a common problem. After 300 miles I took it back to the stealership, a mechanic rode it and congratulated me saying in 11 years it was the first new bike he rode with a bad transmission. His manager then rode it and said there was nothing wrong with it, all busas miss shift like that and that I didn't know how to shift. I had to laugh because for a guy that doesn't know how to shift I have a room full of motorcycle racing trophies. Anyway, I'm still steaming from the encounter and I need to know if this is part of the busa legacy. Tell me it isn't so... Any help is greatly appreciated.

You are not the first Busa owner to have false neutrals between 5th and 6th gears. It has happened to a good majority of the board members, but is not a permanent problem.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new Busa and welcome to the board! Post up pics when you can.

My bike did it a few times when it was brand new. Just be aggressive with your shifts for now. Around 750-1000 miles it should go away(mine did).

Thanks for the input guys. I just found this site and only just started to root around. I've found numerous posts with the same problem and most everyone is saying the same thing - it'll go away after break-in, shift harder, switch to a synthetic. Thanks for all your help. I bought this bike to use for product promotions. I really like it, handles great, brakes great and oh gawd does it accelerate! It's fun, just got to get past this shifting wear in problem.

I've only had a couple times where I hit a false nuetral on either one of my busas . I got an 02 and an 04.
rock.gif

Welcome aboard, Like BigBs stated earlier this is something that is common with some of us. I get it every now and then, just would be nice if it could go away permanetly.

Im only up to 220 miles on my new 05 and ive had 2 or 3 false netrals around the higher gears. I thought i was just me or something. Glad im not going crazy and my fotts not broken! Guess ill have to bang em a lil harder for the first while.

The 5-6 shift is clunky on the Busa. You'll get used to it. The false neutral isn't a neutral, it's a missed shift. Do not force it up into 6th, you will end up with a bad transmission if you do that too often. Put it back down in 5th then upshift again.

Hello everybody, I just got my first busa but it's not my first bike. It's my 63rd bike. I've owned just about everything from Enfield to Zundapps and everything inbetween. I raced motocross for 30 years on tracks from Florida to California. I'm saying this because this is the first bike I've had that miss shifts right from the show room, about 20% of the time when shifting into 5th and or 6th. Not knowing anything about busas except that they are fast, I don't know if this is a common problem. After 300 miles I took it back to the stealership, a mechanic rode it and congratulated me saying in 11 years it was the first new bike he rode with a bad transmission. His manager then rode it and said there was nothing wrong with it, all busas miss shift like that and that I didn't know how to shift. I had to laugh because for a guy that doesn't know how to shift I have a room full of motorcycle racing trophies. Anyway, I'm still steaming from the encounter and I need to know if this is part of the busa legacy. Tell me it isn't so... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Its a pretty common problem that Busa owners face... I have never come across it myself, but generally it sorts out itself after the first 2k - 3k miles. Thats what most of the people whohave faced the flase neutral problem say...

biggrin.gif
BTW congrats on your new bike
beerchug.gif

My bike did it a few times when it was brand new. Just be aggressive with your shifts for now. Around 750-1000 miles it should go away(mine did).
If you are calling a false neutral a shift where the bike is actually not in a gear, I've never had that happen on my 05. Every once in a while, I'll shift and find myself still in 5th. This is mainly, I think, because the action of the shifter is so smooth, I have a hard time feeling when the lever is moved up far enough to have shifted. There is no "click feeling," or "clunk" feeling (with crappy bikes). I just have to push up far enough to engage 6th.

I think you'll get a feel for it.

I think yours acts up because of that marble mod idea you stole
xblueman.gif
Actually, after reading your post, I put a marble in my stock bus, just to defeat a stupid idea!

The 5-6 shift is clunky on the Busa.   You'll get used to it.  The false neutral isn't a neutral, it's a missed shift.  Do not force it up into 6th, you will end up with a bad transmission if you do that too often.  Put it back down in 5th then upshift again.
What he said.

Back