Tranny CLANKS!! when i shift.. izzat okay?

bjewell

Registered
I rode Big Red the other day with my old Harley brainbucket -- first time I ever rode the Busa without my fullface Arai. Jeez, but when I shifted the tranny would make a loud metallic clank at every shift. It shifted fine, but is the clank! normal? Bike is an '07 with 6,500 miles, always serviced and never, ever abused -- heck I'm 64.

I figure that there is a lot of metal in that motor and the tranny is heavy duty, but it almost sounds like something is banging against the case.

Love my busa... ;- )

How does it feel?
I know when I ride without ear plugs, things sound much louder and stranger.
Just my two.
Bubba

that's weird bro!

suzuki is know for their fine shifting, the sound of the clanking is not normal if it does it all the time, have you check the oil level?
that could be the cause!
take it to a mechanic just to make sure!

If it is clanking loudly, something may be wrong. As suggested, check the oil level. My bike has never made a loud clank, but you did have to shift with authority. I just changed to a full synthetic oil and it is much smoother, no missed shifts since the change.

I think they all clunck when you down-shift, just the way it is.

Yep, mine to.. It's normal on hayabusa engines..
The forks in the gearbox are a POS and the single one gets fubard in less than 5000 miles... As long as it doesn't hop out of gear when accelerating I'd ignore it. And as mentioned before, you have to shift with authority..

A few things that can make it go clank is if the chain/sprockets are worn or if the chaintension is to loose.. Another thing that can make it sound bad is of the cushion in the rear wheel has dried out.. That's easily fixed with an innertube from a bicycle.. Just cut and put in..

Try up-shifting at slightly higher revs.

When down-shifting, also rev up a little so that when you engage the clutch there is no jerking as engine matches road speed.

I know there's seemingly no need to rev the 'busa because it has so much power, but remember that revs are your friend. More rpm will smooth out and quiet the shifting.

However, nothing I do quiets the shifting when I'm in neutral at a light and then drop it into first. Always a clank, regardless of engine speed.

Hey, I'm 64 too. It is good to know there's another ol timer out there on a 'busa!

When down-shifting, also rev up a little so that when you engage the clutch there is no jerking as engine matches road speed.

I know there's seemingly no need to rev the 'busa because it has so much power, but remember that revs are your friend. More rpm will smooth out and quiet the shifting.

However, nothing I do quiets the shifting when I'm in neutral at a light and then drop it into first. Always a clank, regardless of engine speed.

Hey, I'm 64 too. It is good to know there's another ol timer out there on a 'busa!

The best way to avoid the 1st gear "clunk from N" is this, when you are approaching your stop put the bike in neutral from 2nd and do not put in 1st gear unless you plan to keep it there. When you shift from 1st to neutral and then back to 1st is where you get the "clunk".

It is in its natural (no backlash) position from 2nd - N - 1st.
sometimes you still get a small clunk depending on how long you coast in N with the clutch out, but is significantly less when you shift to N from 2nd.

Just my 2
Bubba

I noticed it does shift a LOT NICER at higher revs !!

I rode my buddy's wife around the neighborhood the other day, and let her wear my helmet. MAN, THAT SOUNDED DIFFERENT !!! I thought something was wrong too.

I noticed it does shift a LOT NICER at higher revs !!

I rode my buddy's wife around the neighborhood the other day, and let her wear my helmet. MAN, THAT SOUNDED DIFFERENT !!! I thought something was wrong too.

That can be interpreted in many, many ways.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This sounds like what happen to my 08.The bolts unscrewed on the clutch making a horrible noise when shifting because it was scraping against case.Hope this help.

Have you checked the oil level yet? Maybe switching to a different brand/weight of oil might help.

Back