tranny trouble?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I have 15,000 on my 03 and have used nothing but full synthetic since the first service. I clutchless shift a LOT, and now my tranny shifts pretty hard now even after the latest oil change. by hard I mean it give a solid "CHUNK" going into a new gear and is hard to move. I recently broke off the pin from the pedal to the linkage - maybe due to the hard shifting.

Any ideas what is causign the shift problem? Need new tranny?

Myabe you shift fork is bent or shaved...If you've still got warranty on the bike get it to the shop...
evil.gif

I would agree with Stunnah, maye the shift fork?? Any hard shifts (mis-shifting) that you remember??

plenty of mis shifts, plenty of false neutrals... I'm not always polite to it so it's probably my fault. Thanks for the input
smile.gif

"changing gears" is hard....Danny Bonaduce found that out...

Remember , he was the red headed kid from that T.V. show "The Partridge Family" .

He had big time "TRANNY TROUBLE".... heheheh

hav a more informed 1 ....RSD.

So does this answer the question if you should "Crotchless" shift or not?
I dont think you should ever "Shift" , I think you should always just "Ride" with the "Gear" that you were givin' from day one. For me personally , I'll never go "Crotchless"...
butt that doesn't mean Others shouldn't shift into the crotchless camp.

hav a completely less clothed 1....RSD.

RSD your KILLIN ME!!
biggrin.gif
I know it's not popular these days but I came out of the closest as a full blown heterosexual years ago and never looked back.

I'm not sure what to think about the verdict of this yet, until I learn what's wrong. Since MOST clutchless shifting seems easier and smoother than with the clutch and many, many people here have done it on many different bikes, I doubt IT is the problem... maybe how *I* do it is not the best: I'll wrap it up to 10k in each gear, as quick as possible roll off and lift foot, and bam back on full throttle.... I kick downshift gears in upper revs like I'm on a race track to the point of swiggling the rear tire a bit.... and WHO HASN'T ever been hammering on a fun drag - hit a false neutral and cursed while VIOLENTLY/FORCIBLY jamming into the proper gear with some angered leg power?? I am comfrotable replacing parts I destroy in the name of my own fun... this just seemed odd. I agree, the Busa seems to like calmer, smoother softer gear changes, but recently even THOSE were almost not working where I HAD to give it some force... I guess that should have clued me in, but I just figure my oil had used up it's usefullness. Oh well. I'll take it to the shop and see what I can

RSD your KILLIN ME!!  
biggrin.gif
  I know it's not popular these days I came out of the closest full blown years ago and never looked back.

I'm not sure until I learn what's wrong.  Since MOST shifting seems easier and smoother than with many people .  maybe how *I* do it is not the best:  I'll wrap it up as quick as possible and bam .... like I'm on a swiggling rear .... and WHO HASN'T ever been hammering on a drag VIOLENTLY jamming into the proper parts in the name of my own fun... THOSE were working where I HAD to give it some force... I guess that should have clued me in, but I just figure my oil had used up it's usefullness.  Oh well.  I'll take it what I can
if you say so.....

laugh.gif
Dude I can get you some really fine tranny work here in Tampa. Hell Plastic Surgery is huge down here...

Wait, Tranny's are just dudes dressed like chicks though right? Hell, wasn't Hoover a tranny? Hmm, Seems like there has been a lot of tranny trouble lately...

Pisser about your tranny WWJD... Get it checked soon though, you let a tranny run wild and next thing you know it'll just explode and scatter bits everywhere. Don't be ridding your Tranny hard when it blows man... Bad JuJu....

laugh.gif
 Dude I can get you some really fine tranny work here in Tampa.  Hell Plastic Surgery is huge down here...

Wait, Tranny's are just dudes dressed like chicks though right?  Hell, wasn't Hoover a tranny?  Hmm, Seems like there has been a lot of tranny trouble lately...

Pisser about your tranny WWJD...  Get it checked soon though, you let a tranny run wild and next thing you know it'll just explode and scatter bits everywhere.  Don't be ridding your Tranny hard when it blows man...  Bad JuJu....
Or don't blow hard while riding a tranny......ewwww....

WWJD, there I was planning on heading out towards Des Moines on a ride this weekend and try to catch you. I guess I'll have to change plans....Just kidding.. Sorry you are having problems. We have to do another Iowa ride pretty soon though so get that thing fixed!

WWJD wrote:
I'll wrap it up to 10k in each gear, as quick as possible roll off and lift foot, and bam back on full throttle.... I kick downshift gears in upper revs like I'm on a race track to the point of swiggling the rear tire a bit.... and WHO HASN'T ever been hammering on a fun drag - hit a false neutral and cursed while VIOLENTLY/FORCIBLY jamming into the proper gear with some angered leg power??  I am comfrotable replacing parts I destroy in the name of my own fun... this just seemed odd.  I agree, the Busa seems to like calmer, smoother softer gear changes, but recently even THOSE were almost not working where I HAD to give it some force... I guess that should have clued me in, but I just figure my oil had used up it's usefullness.  Oh well.  I'll take it to the shop and see what I can
=========================================================================================
My Busa is the smoothest shifting bike I've ever owned...closely followed by my 91 GSX-R 1100. Not knockin' your shiftin' style busa-brother
wink.gif
, but hearin' that makes me glad I bought new
tounge.gif

I'm pretty sure mine shifter nicer when new... then again... after I have gotten used to pushing it, my style has changed a lot.
smile.gif

The ending of my story is: I believe it shifts fine now. The mechanics rode it thought it was fine, my buddy rode it and thought it was fine, I installed my newlinkage part and here's the deal:

For track days, I had adjusted the shifter position up HIGHER than normal - previously I had lowered the inclination to better fit the downward point of my toe and that fixed a lot of false neutrals and unsolid shifts - so, I moved it up for track days [to avoid scraping toes shifting in corners] and I discoverd that if I put if back down low, *I* shift much better, smoother, more naturally.... virtually eliminating the HARD gears I was experiencing. THEY felt harder because I had to WORK MORE at getting it UP into gear. I have not put a lot of miles on the new adjustment, but I am almost certain this is why it felt so bad.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Bill yeah, I'm up for it! Travis is ready to go also.... and I just got a whole new set of rubber last week - to replace my last replacement - which I did NOT ride down to the cords on hahahaha

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092834481 -->

So does this answer the question if you should "Clutchless" shift or not?
that's a very good question indeed. i always think that if "clutchless" shift was safe, why the hell does all the manufactures of cars, trucks, motorycles, etc. put a clutch in their products. i always use the clutch because i trust the creaters of the machines more than the test pilots.

when you count the number of actions going into a clutched shift and a clutchless shift, plus the feel and response, you begin to appriciate clutchless shifting. by that I mean it's more work and LESS smooth using the clutch. is it less wear on the gears using the clutch? yes, but does that not eventually wear out your clutch? the absolute SMOOTHEST sync-up and gear changes I've ever felt are clutchless. it works really well when you do it right. I've read here and other places of long time riders clutchless shift most of the time with no repercussions. clutch shift make gear changes almost idiot proof when clutchless has a learning curve. If you just want to change gears, use the clutch. if you want to branch into speed, smoothness, special timing and heightening your overall awareness of gearing and what-not, give clutchless a try.
smile.gif

My Humble 78 cents worth

Back