Good news and bad news

busa_boy_69

Registered
Well after weeks of procrastination I finally took the Busa to the dealer yesterday to have the front and back tires mounted up and put on. Well they were able to squeeze me in and do it while I waited so i had no down time on the back which was great. HOWEVER, it only took an hour and I go to get my key and pay the bill and the service manager says we made a note on your paperwork here that your left fork has a slight leak in it. Now my Busa has only done 3 good wheelies since I have owned it. It's an 03 and has 17,000 miles on it. Without wheelieing the bike and no abuse what could cause this to happen? Also I have the Suzuki extended warranty so they should cover this correct? Just want some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

BB69

If "YOU" haven't abused it, it may just be a bad seal.

Lots of things could cause it. Do you strap it or do anything else with the front (if raced)? What do you weight? Hit any BAD pot holes or anything like that?

If "YOU" haven't abused it, it may just be a bad seal.  

Lots of things could cause it.  Do you strap it or do anything else with the front (if raced)?  What do you weight?  Hit any BAD pot holes or anything like that?
Nah it's stock set up. It's not strapped or anything. I weight 300 even. The only thing I can think of is as I was exiting 275 onto 75 a couple months back I did mack a nasty pothole on the loop. It was night and I didn't see it until I was right on top of it. It didn't do any damage to the rim or anything but maybe that is what caused it. I know it sure has not seen any abuse thats for sure.

Maybe it is just time for it to go bad. You are a big boy like me.....so they might not just hold up as long as a 180lb rider.

you could have a ding in one of the sliders or something too. That will eat a seal in short order. I am a big boy and have never blown a seal on a set of forks. But then again my wheelies are generally just low altitide power wheelies and not the big horn monos some stunters throw down. If the dealer is going to have your fork apart anyway you ought to see what they would take to put new springs in it for your weight while they are at it???

Three year old bike, 300 lb rider...either one could cause a leaky seal. They don't last forever
sad.gif

BUSA front forks are F#$king WEAK!! I had mine tuned by Race Tech over the weekend at my track day. The tech said according to the laden/static sag and my 230 lb body weight, the busa will BOTTOM under heavy braking. We torqued the preload adjusters ALL THE WAY, adjusted my compression/rebound. It feels worlds better but still didn't meet the sag measurements we were aiming for. The only solution is to spring the forks heavier.

If you're 300 and you havent adjusted you suspension/spring rate, you'll easily blow a seal just by braking. The stock setup was set for a 150lb japanese man. But as long as you haven't ridden abusively, your warranty should cover b/c that's Suzuki's fault for springing the busa with crap fork springs.

Well I spoke to the service manager yesterday and after contacting Suzuki he said they had no problem whatsover with maying to reseal BOTH forks. Only the left one was even leaking. After reading your guys responses I believe it may be my braking habits then. I do not wheelie the bike at all but I do a lot oh high speed runs to short borderline popwer sliding stops sometimes and my weight probably is causing the springs to work overtime. I know there are no dings in them I inspect them frequently. I would have noticed the leak myself even had it not have been so small. So basically Zuk was totally cool about it, parts are on order, and it looks like late next week I will be losing my bike for a few days : (

But on the bright side at least I am getting it done early in the season so now I am done for the summer with my maintenance upkeeps. Now all I have to do is my most likely 4 services that I will acrue due to riding mileage. haha

Order a set of springs. They should install them at no extra charge while they are in there. With a guy of your size, it will be a big difference.

i am about 300 pounds also how cranked tight should the the forks be for the street
vader1.gif

One point I haven't seen mentioned yet is how the bike's been stored the past 3 years? If it's kept outside, the temp and weather changes do cause accelerated wear on rubber seals, gaskets, etc- Or if the simply bike sits alot, the deterioration can be increased as well.

Just my 2 cents..

BUSAFETT

One point I haven't seen mentioned yet is how the bike's been stored the past 3 years?  If it's kept outside, the temp and weather changes do cause accelerated wear on rubber seals, gaskets, etc-  Or if the simply bike sits alot, the deterioration can be increased as well.

Just my 2 cents..

BUSAFETT
Well thats not a factor here. My car sits outside all year so that the Busa gets a nice comfy garage all year round unless I am riding on it. Good point though.

Normal wear and tear man. Doubt the warranty will replace 'em.
Just buck up and have it done.

Back